HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV1288
Name:St Mary's, Silverton


Parish church, mostly 15th and early 16th century, the chancel pier on the north side bears the date 1503. The church was restored and the chancel and the two westernmost bays were rebuilt in the 19th century.


Grid Reference:SS 956 027
Map Sheet:SS90SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSilverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSILVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4938
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS90SE/4
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 95447

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XV to XIX - 1401 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV412.

Chanter cites description by powell after his visit in 1811. Manuscript in british museum (chanter).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45003.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45004.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon(1954)478.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45005.

Dro=3116 z/25.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45006.

Cresswell, b. F. /jbaa/33(1927)160-161/devonshire churches.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45007.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)263.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45008.

Chanter, j. R. /tda/22(1890)61-65/2nd report on devon records.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45009.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45010.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV45011.

Cherry, b. + pevsner, n. /buildings of england:devon/(1989)743.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV148.

On site of st. Mary's chapel (os).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177625.

An undated drawing of silverton church by a. W. Everett is in devon record office. Original wagon-roof in nave. Tower with buttresses, battlements and pinnacles. Four-bay north and south aisles with conventional piers (pevsner).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

St. Mary. Mostly 15th century, early 16th. Built of local volcanic stone. The chancel pier on the north side bears the date 1503. The chancel was rebuilt in 1863. Old screen probably jacobean, and contemporary with the west gallery; it was chopped for firewood (hoskins).

Department of Environment, 1987, Silverton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV325870.

Parish church of st. Mary the virgin. C15, c16 and c17: north aisle added circa 1478; north chancel chapel early c16 rebus of lawrence dobel, carved in one of the capitals; the church was restored and the chancel and the two westernmost bays rebuilt, 1860-3, by edward ashworth; restored in 1880, again by ashworth. Coursed rubble volcanic trap, with bathstone. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north chancel chapel, se vestry, south porch. See doe list for full details (doe).

Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1106629 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Parish church of St Mary the Virgin. Parish church. C15, C16 and C17: north aisle added circa 1478 (its erection mentioned in the will of John Suffmore, the rector); north chancel chapel early C16 rebus of Lawrence Dobel, (rector 1519-31) carved in 1 of the capitals; the church was restored and the chancel and the 2 westernmost bays rebuilt, 1860-3, by Edward Ashworth; restored in 1880, again by Ashworth. Coursed rubble volcanic trap, with Bath stone. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north chancel chapel, south-east vestry, south porch. West tower: 2 stages, battlemented with corner pinnacles, buttresses diagonal to north-west and south-west clasping to north-east and south-east, all with 3 off-sets. Polygonal stair turret to north lit by 6 tiny windows, the lower of which is pointed. 2-light belfry opening to all sides, that on the south side with another 2-light window below to light ringing chamber. 3-light west window, Perpendicular, largely renewed; west doorway surround appears to be C20, reconstituted stone. South aisle: 4 bays; the porch occupies the westernmost bay into which it is bonded, the bay itself recessed a little from the plane of the aisle, with a 4-light square- headed window above the porch. Conventional Perpendicular west window. It all looks late C15 or early C16; both the inner and outer doorways, moulded, look right for this date, along with the barrel vault to the porch, the ribs resting on moulded bell capitals, unless the peculiarities are a result of Ashworth's modifications. The other 3 windows of the aisle and the east window, Perpendicular, 4-lights, divided by slender buttresses with 3 off-sets; polygonal stair turret to former screen, and aisle roof. Battlemented throughout. Clear masonry Joint between aisle and nave. Chancel: 2-light window to north and south, 3-light east window, all by Ashworth, together with the battlemented south-east vestry with 2-light square-headed window to south, and priest's door to east. North aisle: 4 bays, as south. North chancel chapel: clear masonry joint between this and the aisle from which it projects a little; buttressed, battlemented with cornice moulding bearing fleurons. Perpendicular east window; C19 window to north. Interior: nave of 4 bays, tall piers with wavy moulding, all except 2 capitals with foliage, the exceptions being larger with shield-bearing angels. The 2 west piers were rebuilt by Ashworth, apparently re-using the detailed stone. Simple chamfered tower arch; chancel arch with detached shafts large bases and capitals; windows with nook shafts; wagon roof to nave repaired and renewed by Ashworth, who retained the odd disjuncture of the ribs above the position of the former screen; open wagon roof to chancel (all 1860s); flat ribbed roof to north-east chapel; ceiled roofs to aisles. 1 door to screen (ground floor) survives, that above blocked. Arches into north east chapel (from aisle and chancel) with panelled soffits and responds, that to the chancel with detached shafts in addition. Furnishings: fragment of screen wainscotting now in north east chapel. West gallery, of 2 builds: 4 Doric columns with pronounced entasis support an ovolo moulded bressumer; this all looks a century earlier than the frontal, dated 1734, with 10 panels setting out various parish charities, each pair divided by pilasters, with moulded rail, and dentilled base. Stone font, 1834; stone pulpit, 1863. Glass: east by Ward and Hughes (1880); north aisle (nv) by Warrington, signed (1857).
Date first listed: 5th April 1966

Sources / Further Reading

SDV148Migrated Record:
SDV177625Migrated Record:
SDV325870List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Silverton. From Celtic Settlement to XX Century Hospital: The Story of Poltimore House.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1106629.
SDV412Migrated Record:
SDV45003Migrated Record:
SDV45004Migrated Record:
SDV45005Migrated Record:
SDV45006Migrated Record:
SDV45007Migrated Record:
SDV45008Migrated Record:
SDV45009Migrated Record:
SDV45010Migrated Record:
SDV45011Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV107078Parent of: Silverton War Memorial Board, St Mary's Church (Monument)
MDV1289Related to: Churchyard Cross, Silverton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jan 4 2018 1:08PM