HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13048
Name:Lady Well, Sticklepath

Summary

19th century village well fed by an iron pipe from a nearby spring. Previously described as a holy well, but this seems unlikely.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 638 941
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSticklepath
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSAMPFORD COURTENAY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX 69 SW 27
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SW/71
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX69SW27
  • Pastscape: 444182

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WELL (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Crossing, W., 1912 (1965), Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor (Monograph). SDV320981.


Binnall, P. B. G., 1940 - 1941, Holy Wells in Devonshire, 125 (Article in Serial). SDV70316.

Lady Well. This used to be a very picturesque well but is now spoilt by the zeal of the sanitary authorities. Over it was legend which read: "Ladye Well: drinke and be thankfull".


Brown, T., 1957, Holy and Notable Wells of Devon, 215 (Article in Serial). SDV304810.


Gerrard, S., 1993-2002, Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report (Report - non-specific). SDV145710.

Considered under the Monument Protection Programme but not recommended for scheduling. This is a 19th century village well fed by an iron pipe from a nearby spring. It is certainly not a holy well.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Well' is depicted on the modern map.


National Monument Record, 2016, Pastscape, Accessed 12/07/2016 (Website). SDV359354.

The original 'Lady Well' is on the east side of the main road, in Alder Meadow. Since 1820 water has been piped under the road to its outlet at the well on the other side, commonly thought to be 'Lady Well'. (Citing History of Sticklepath. Womens' Institute publication)

The original 'Lady Well' spring is situated under a metal cover, enclosed within a modern stone shed, at 63899416. From here the water is piped to the fountain or outlet at SX 6309412, which is inscribed 'Lady Well' and so named on Ordnance Survey 25 inch map of 1954.
No documentary evidence was found to substantiate a Medieval date for 'Lady Well', save the name which indicates a pre-Reformation origin. (Citing Field Investigators Comments, F1 JGB 31-JAN-78)

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145710Report - non-specific: Gerrard, S.. 1993-2002. Monument Protection Programme Alternative Action Report. English Heritage. Unknown.
SDV304810Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1957. Holy and Notable Wells of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 215.
SDV320981Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1912 (1965). Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Hardback Volume.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80743 ]
SDV359354Website: National Monument Record. 2016. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. Accessed 12/07/2016.
SDV70316Article in Serial: Binnall, P. B. G.. 1940 - 1941. Holy Wells in Devonshire. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 21. Unknown. 125.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 12 2016 1:52PM