HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13058
Name:Deserted Medieval Settlement west of Halstock Wood

Summary

Deserted Medieval site to the west of Halstock Wood consisting of remains of structures and enclosures south-east of Lower Halstock farm. This site is included in the local list of Nationally Important Dartmoor sites.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 605 933
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishOkehampton Hamlets
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishOKEHAMPTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Deserted Medieval settlement, cropmark enclosure, cairns and standing stone to the south-east of Lower Halstock farm

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 619305
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SW/81
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Hemery, E., 1983, High Dartmoor, 866-7 (Monograph). SDV249702.

The Perambulation return of 1240 records a 'capelle Soreti Michaelis de Halgestake', and in the 1609 Perambulation there is a Chapple of Halstocke'. Traditionally the chapel is associated with Chapel Lands, a field which lies to the outh-east of Lower Halstock Farm. Several longhouses can be seen on earthworks over a large area. Several lie near Lower Halstock Farm. In the field below (east of) Chapel Lands are two longhouses, lying end to end, 30 feet apart. The eastern measures 30 feet by 15 feet, the western 27 feet by 15 feet. These lie near the well known as Chapel Lands Spring. The outline of several enclosures also lie in this field.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

Not visible : a 'blank area'.


Griffith, F. M., 1986, DAP/GW, 14, 15 (Aerial Photograph). SDV253850.


Griffith, F. M., 1986, DAP/GX, 1, 2 (Aerial Photograph). SDV57439.


Griffith, F. M., 2002, HU, 1-2 (Aerial Photograph). SDV253852.


Gerrard, S., 2004, List of Sites Remaining to be Considered for Designation on Dartmoor (Un-published). SDV345444.

This site was considered for designation as a Scheduled Ancient Monument during the Monument Protection Programme. The programme ended before the entire list of sites was successfully scheduled so this is included on a local list of Nationally Important Sites.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Halstock DMS (Un-published). SDV352501.

Halstock deserted Medieval settlement


National Monument Record, 2016, Pastscape, 619305, SX69SW53 (Website). SDV359354.

Halstock deserted Medieval settlement. Extensive earthworks of structures and enclosures, probably a deserted Medieval site., terraced into a north-facing slope. The outer enclosure takes in the spring marked on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. The Medieval chapel of St. Michael at Halstock may lie within this settlement. A small oval cropmark is visible nearby on the aerial photograph.
The Perambulation return of 1240 records a 'Capelle Soreti Michaelis de Halgestake', and in the 1609 Perambulation there is a Chapple of Halstocke'. Traditionally the chapel is associated with Chapel Lands, a field which lies to the south-east of Lower Halstock Farm. Several longhouses can be seen on earthworks over a large area. Several lie near Lower Halstock Farm. In the field below (east of) Chapel Lands are two longhouses, lying end to end, 30 feet apart. The eastern measures 30 feet by 15 feet, the western 27 feet by 15 feet. These lie near the well known as Chapel Lands Spring. The outline of several enclosures also lie in this field.
Croning quotes an old tradition that a cross which once stood near the chapel was taken to Friar's Well.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV249702Monograph: Hemery, E.. 1983. High Dartmoor. High Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 866-7.
SDV253850Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1986. DAP/GW. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 14, 15.
SDV253852Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 2002. HU. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1-2.
SDV319854Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV345444Un-published: Gerrard, S.. 2004. List of Sites Remaining to be Considered for Designation on Dartmoor. Digital.
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80745 ]
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Halstock DMS.
SDV359354Website: National Monument Record. 2016. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 619305, SX69SW53.
SDV57439Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1986. DAP/GX. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1, 2.

Associated Monuments

MDV6937Parent of: Rectangular cropmark of possible enclosure (Monument)
MDV13054Related to: Medieval site, East Bowden (Monument)
MDV6933Related to: Site of a chapel east of Moorgate Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 22 2016 1:36PM