HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV130632
Name:Linhay at Lugg's Farm, Membury

Summary

Linhay thought to date to the 18th century and which remained in agricultural use until the late 1960s. It was originally thatched with an open front facing east and a first floor which it is thought may have been removed by the mid 19th century. An enclosed extension was added along the eastern side in the 1940s; the building being used as a milking parlour. The thatch was replaced with composite sheeting in the 1960s.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 257 064
Map Sheet:ST20NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMembury
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEMBURY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (Built, XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Linhay depicted.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Linhay depicted. Comparison with the earlier Tithe Map shows a lean-to extension to have been added to the west side.

Brown, J., 2013, Luggs's Farm, Membury. Heritage Statement (Report - non-specific). SDV364306.

Linhay thought to date to the 18th century and which remained in agricultural use until the late 1960s. It was originally thatched with an open front facing east and a first floor which it is thought may have been removed by the mid 19th century.
It stands slightly apart from the main farmyard and has an unusual angled plan form which may suggest that it was doubled in size at some time [it is depicted as such on the Tithe Map]. The west (rear), south and north elevations are constructed of rubble stone. The east elevation was originally open-fronted with timber posts supporting the roof.
In the 1913 Land Tax Valuation, the northern end of the building is referred to as a pigs house and the southern end as a shippon. They are described as of stone with a wood front and thatched. The lean-to on the west side is referred to as a wagon linhay and was also thatched.
Significant changes took place in the mid 20th century when the wagon linhay was replaced with a concrete block implement shed and a timber-framed and cement-rendered lean-to extension with five doorways and five windows was added to the east side of the linhay. The latter was necessitated by the Agriculture Act of 1947. The front timber posts were adapted to support both the roof of the linhay and the lower roof of the extension. The building functioned as a milking parlour and a small adjoining building which is now used as a woodshed was formerly a dairy. The thatch was replaced with composite sheeting in the 1960s.

Ordnance Survey, 2021, MasterMap 2021 (Cartographic). SDV364015.

Linhay depicted.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV364015Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap 2021. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #130059 ]
SDV364306Report - non-specific: Brown, J.. 2013. Luggs's Farm, Membury. Heritage Statement. Josephine Brown Heritage Consulting. 31308. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV104857Part of: Lugg's Farm, Membury (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 30 2021 5:37PM