HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1309
Name:Holy Well at Lower Comberoy, Broadclyst

Summary

Holy well enclosed within a decorative 19th century well house possibly designed by C.R. Cockrell who designed the chapel at Killerton.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 991 009
Map Sheet:SS90SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBroad Clyst
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBROADCLYST

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS90SE/21
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 88340
  • Old SAM Ref: 29688
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS90SE15

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOLY WELL (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SS90SE15 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV345438.


Brown, T., 1966, Holy and Notable Wells in Devon, Part VI, 154 (Article in Serial). SDV338662.

Holy well at Lower Comberoy, Beare, 293 metres south of A38. On west side of the lane in a wood. The structure is of Killerton stone. Norman Arch. Bountiful water supply.


Allden, A., 1979, Survey of National Trust Property in East and Southeast Devon (Report - Survey). SDV127919.


Griffiths + Gibbons, 1994, National Trust Archaeological Site Monitoring Report (Report - non-specific). SDV345440.

Access to well head obstructed by nettles and summer growth of weeds has intruded inside wire mesh protection over well. Otherwise in moderate condition. Deterioration slow.


Salvatore, 1998, Untitled Source, 144464 (Un-published). SDV345439.

Holy well at Lower Comberoy. Located immediately below Frogmore Lane overlooking a tributary of the River Culm. Well head enclosed within a decorative 19th century well house, which is listed grade II, and it is supplied by a spring which flows from higher ground immediately to the east. Well house, of local volcanic trap, built into slope of hillside and only the facade is visible; this comprises of an ashlar wall about 8 metres wide and 2.3 metres in height, the central focus of which is a tall, recessed, rounded arch of Norman style, one of the inner orders of which rests upon 2 cushioned capitals. A moulded string course runs the width of the facade and is incorporated into the recessed arch. The stone well head, which is flush with the ground level at the base of the arch, is full of clear water and it is fronted by an earth-cut soakaway which is provided with a stone terminal about 6 metres forward, and slightly down slope, of the well. The land on which the holy well lies is part of the Killerton House estate, owned in the mid 19th century by Sir Thomas Acland who commissioned the building of 2 lodges and a chapel for Killerton. These buildings were designed by C. R. Cockerell in a style which borrowed heavily from Norman architectural preferences and which became popular from about 1840. The distinctive Norman arch of the holy well suggests that Cockerell was involved also in the design of the well house at Lower Comberoy. Although it is marked as a holy well on maps of the 20th century the well has no known dedication to any particular saint.


Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 1999, Holy Well 230m North West of Lower Comberoy Cottages (Schedule Document). SDV345441.

A holy well located immediately below Frogmore Lane overlooking a tributary of the River Culm. The well head is enclosed within a decorative 19th century well house and is supplied by a spring which flows from higher ground immediately to the east. See schedule document for full details of monument.


National Trust, 2000, Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 5. The Farms: Francis Court - Yarde, 419/3 (Report - Survey). SDV39783.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Holy well 350 metres along lane to Frogmore from B3176. Holy well. Early 19th century and possibly by Cockrell. Ashlar volcanic trap (Killerton stone). A well set into the hillside under a stone wellhouse the face of which has a string-course that takes in 2 orders of a Norman arch and forms the capital of the inner order. Outer order with cushion capitals. A revetment projects forward of the well to the right to take the former pathway from the road above. Now much overgrown. The Romanesque Revival work by Cockrell at nearby Killerton is suggestive. Date listed: 20th May 1985.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV127919Report - Survey: Allden, A.. 1979. Survey of National Trust Property in East and Southeast Devon. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Stapled.
SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV338662Article in Serial: Brown, T.. 1966. Holy and Notable Wells in Devon, Part VI. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 98. A5 Paperback. 154.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80754 ]
SDV345438Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS90SE15. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV345439Un-published: Salvatore. 1998. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. 144464. Digital. 144464.
SDV345440Report - non-specific: Griffiths + Gibbons. 1994. National Trust Archaeological Site Monitoring Report. National Trust Report. Unknown.
SDV345441Schedule Document: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 1999. Holy Well 230m North West of Lower Comberoy Cottages. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV39783Report - Survey: National Trust. 2000. Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 5. The Farms: Francis Court - Yarde. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 419/3.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 14 2010 3:14PM