HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13105
Name:Broomhill Farmhouse, Harford

Summary

Farmhouse divided into two homes. Circa 17th century. The west end largely rebuilt in 18th century and extended to west in early 19th century. Rendered stone rubble. Left hand (west) end Broomhill Cottage is slate hung. Slate roof with gabled ends.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 637 585
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/61
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 121/3, p.5 (Record Office Collection). SDV145521.

The 1587 deed of sale is indexed in the "Burnet Morris" records in West Country Studies Library, Exeter, index card Lyde Peter.


Fursdon, Devon Parishes (Record Office Collection). SDV145522.

1587 deed of sale is indexed in the "Burnet Morris" records in West Country Studies Library, Exeter, index card Lyde Peter.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Narrow, L-shaped building is depicted on the Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist, 1978 (Worksheet). SDV149931.

Broomhill. Visited various times. Probably 16th century, with many alterations. Situated on the west side of the Ivybridge-Harford road, one mile south of Harford Church. First documentary mention 1587. The house is basically rectangular single-pile, with its long axis east-west, and an L-shaped extension to the rear on the west end. The house is 2-storey, facing south and is now two habitations although without any defined party wall. The north side (the back of the house) has been added to by a wide outshot on the west part (Broomhill Cottage) and by a smaller outshot with a pitched roof at the east part (Broomhill Farmhouse). "Broomhill House" built in c.1905 by Captain T. A. Julian stands a few yards south of the farm buildings of Broomhill. This is rectangular in plan and is built in stone. It is known locally that some stone was "brought from the moor" to build Broomhill House, but the main structure does not look like local 'moorstone', being too pink in colour. The coursing has snecking or jumper work, and the face of the granite blocks is punched, or 'knobbled'.


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford, 1978 (Un-published). SDV361875.

Broomhill. Visited various times. Probably 16th century, with many alterations. Situated on the west side of the Ivybridge-Harford road, one mile south of Harford Church. First documentary mention 1587. The house is basically rectangular single-pile, with its long axis east-west, and an L-shaped extension to the rear on the west end. The house is 2-storey, facing south and is now two habitations although without any defined party wall. The north side (the back of the house) has been added to by a wide outshot on the west part (Broomhill Cottage) and by a smaller outshot with a pitched roof at the east part (Broomhill Farmhouse). "Broomhill House" built in c.1905 by Captain T. A. Julian stands a few yards south of the farm buildings of Broomhill. This is rectangular in plan and is built in stone. It is known locally that some stone was "brought from the moor" to build Broomhill House, but the main structure does not look like local 'moorstone', being too pink in colour. The coursing has snecking or jumper work, and the face of the granite blocks is punched, or 'knobbled'.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

SX 65 NW HARFORD BROOMHILL 11/71 Broomhill Farm House and Broomhill Cottage - II
Farmhouse divided into 2 homes. Circa C17. The west end largely rebuilt in C18 and extended to west in early C19. Rendered stone rubble. Left hand (west) end Broomhill Cottage is slate hung. Slate roof with gabled ends. East end of Broomhill has steeply pitched roof and gable with hollow-chamfered stone window frames with moulded labels. The rest is a 2-storey 4 window range. Right hand 3-light casements with glazing bars, left hand sashes also with glazing bars. Glazed and panelled door and glazed porch. Large rendered chimneystacks at ridge and truncated stack at east end. Later outshuts at rear.
Listing NGR: SX6375358529


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Depicted on the modern mapping. Has been extended since the 19th century map depictions.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145521Record Office Collection: Unknown. 121/3. West Devon Record Office Collection. Unknown. p.5.
SDV145522Record Office Collection: Fursdon. Devon Parishes. West Country Studies Library. Unknown.
SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital. 1978.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80758 ]
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound. 1978.

Associated Monuments

MDV113139Part of: Broomhill Farm, Harford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 3 2017 2:27PM