HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13107
Name:East Combeshead Farmhouse

Summary

Circa 17th century or earlier farmhouse. Rendered stone construction, slate roof with gabled ends. Gabled porch to left of centre with round-arched doorway. Projecting stair bay in the angle to the right. Byre at the lower end to south-west with external stone stairs to the loft. Rendered chimneystacks at higher, northeast gable end and another at the ridge to north-east of centre.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 642 584
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/62
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVII - 1500 AD? to 1635 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

1716 East Combeshead first named in Parish church rate book. Field Tithe Apportionment 138 "Bootown" in East Combeshead, and field TA119 "Bootown" in West Combeshead, close to farmsteads, suggest possible Saxon origin (Buton) (citing Parish records, Devon Record Office, Exeter).


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building is depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 275 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Comeshead was one of the homes of John de Comeshevede (1330, 1333 Subsidy Rolls).


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist, February 1979 (Worksheet). SDV149931.

East Combeshead
A Dartmoor farm, separated from the open moor by two fields; approached only by a parish lane which serves both East and West Combeshead and which ends at West Combeshead gate. East of the Ivybridge-Harford road.
Estimated 16th / early-17th century. Probably originally a 3-room cross passage type of farmhouse. South facing, two storey, with entrance porch front and rear, east of centre, each with pointed arch doorway and room over. Stack on axis of entrance porches. End stack above east gable wall. Pitched roof, slated. Walls all rendered, and windows have frames of comparatively recent date. A square projection in w angle of the rear porch and the house suggests the site of a staircase.
Outbuildings. North side of the house (the back) faces a large court, with a large granite barn occupying the east side of the court, and another on the north side. Access to the court and house is from the west along a tree lined track, bordered by old drystone walls.


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford, February 1979 (Un-published). SDV361875.

East Combeshead
A Dartmoor farm, separated from the open moor by two fields; approached only by a parish lane which serves both East and West Combeshead and which ends at West Combeshead gate. East of the Ivybridge-Harford road.
Estimated 16th / early-17th century. Probably originally a 3-room cross passage type of farmhouse. South facing, two storey, with entrance porch front and rear, east of centre, each with pointed arch doorway and room over. Stack on axis of entrance porches. End stack above east gable wall. Pitched roof, slated. Walls all rendered, and windows have frames of comparatively recent date. A square projection in w angle of the rear porch and the house suggests the site of a staircase.
Outbuildings. North side of the house (the back) faces a large court, with a large granite barn occupying the east side of the court, and another on the north side. Access to the court and house is from the west along a tree lined track, bordered by old drystone walls.


Department of Environment, 1984, South Hams, 29 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336648.

East Combeshead. Circa 17th century or earlier. Rendered stone. Slate roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. Casement and sash windows. Gabled porch to left of centre with round-arched doorway. Projecting stair bay in the angle to the right. Byre at the lower end to southwest with external stone stairs to the loft. Rendered chimneystacks at higher, northeast gable end and another at the ridge to northeast of centre.


Agricultural Development Advisory Service, 1995, Farm visit (Report - Survey). SDV145490.

Visited 17/2/1995.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 03/02/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

SX 65 NW HARFORD COMBESHEAD 11/72 East Combeshead - II
Farm house and adjoining byre. Circa C17 or earlier. Rendered stone. Slate roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. Casement and sash windows. Gabled porch to left of centre with round-arched doorway. Projecting stair bay in the angle to the right. Byre at the lower end to south-west with external stone stairs to the loft. Rendered chimneystacks at higher, north-east gable end and another at the ridge to north-east of centre.
Listing NGR: SX6425958407.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 275.
SDV145490Report - Survey: Agricultural Development Advisory Service. 1995. Farm visit. Agricultural Development Advisory Service. Unknown.
SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital. February 1979.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336648List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. South Hams. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 29.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80759 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 03/02/2017.
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound. February 1979.

Associated Monuments

MDV113140Part of: East Combeshead Farm, Harford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 3 2017 3:19PM