HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13121
Name:Torlands Barn, Harford

Summary

Barn and shippon at this site marked on the Tithe Map. Only the barn appears to have survived.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 634 588
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Section of the Broomhill Leat, that dates to at least the 16th century, running past Torlands Barn

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/76

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (XVI to XVIII - 1600 AD to 1750 AD (Between))
  • SHIPPON STOCK BUILDING (XVI to XVIII - 1600 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Tithe Map depicts the barn (with smaller building adjoining on the west) and the shippon to the north. Served by leat.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Torlands Barn' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map. Much the same as the Tithe Map, although narrow additional building shown smaller; may be a replacement.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Matches the late 19th century historic map. No additional building on the western side of the barn now.


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist, Nov 1978 (Worksheet). SDV149931.

Torlands Barn. About 200 yards west of the Harford Road, near the farmstead named 'Meads'. On the far side of a field named 'Barn Field' in the Tithe Apportionment 1838-1840, (field no.151). No track leads to the site, and access is gained by crossing the adjoining field from a gate on the Harford road. The site has a barn roughly 12 metres by 4 metres, and a shippen 15 metres by 3 metres, separated by a small court.
Both buildings are in a fair state of repair, and mostly granite rubble with some modern brick lintels. The roofing is corrugated iron: except one half of the barn roof which is modern welsh slate. The ruins of a small building adjoins on to the west side (the narrower side) of the barn. Water comes from a leat which takes water from the Butter Brook near Tor Rocks on the open moor 1/2 mile distant, and which also supplied water to the now deserted site of 'Tor Cottage'. West of the barn and court a short track bounded by stone walls leads to other fields. The walls and roof of the barn were extensively repaired in 1979. First documentary reference is parish rate book 1695 (Parish records; Vestry Accounts & Rate Books Devon County Record Office, Harford pw 1, plate 2).


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford, Nov 1978 (Un-published). SDV361875.

Torlands Barn. About 200 yards west of the Harford Road, near the farmstead named 'Meads'. On the far side of a field named 'Barn Field' in the Tithe Apportionment 1838-1840, (field no.151). No track leads to the site, and access is gained by crossing the adjoining field from a gate on the Harford road. The site has a barn roughly 12 metres by 4 metres, and a shippen 15 metres by 3 metres, separated by a small court.
Both buildings are in a fair state of repair, and mostly granite rubble with some modern brick lintels. The roofing is corrugated iron: except one half of the barn roof which is modern welsh slate. The ruins of a small building adjoins on to the west side (the narrower side) of the barn. Water comes from a leat which takes water from the Butter Brook near Tor Rocks on the open moor 1/2 mile distant, and which also supplied water to the now deserted site of 'Tor Cottage'. West of the barn and court a short track bounded by stone walls leads to other fields. The walls and roof of the barn were extensively repaired in 1979. First documentary reference is parish rate book 1695 (Parish records; Vestry Accounts & Rate Books Devon County Record Office, Harford pw 1, plate 2).


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads (Un-published). SDV352501.

Torlands Barn included on list. No further information provided.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Torlands Barn is depicted on the modern maps, although there is no sign of the shippon building remaining.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital. Nov 1978.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80768 ]
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound. Nov 1978.

Associated Monuments

MDV13133Related to: Broomhill Leat, Harford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 29 2017 2:19PM