HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13122
Name:King's Barn, Harford

Summary

Field barn with court, dating to at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence, although may be older.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 630 593
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/77

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BARN (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV144875.

Devon lay subsidy 1332 devon & cornwall record society, 1969.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV144876.

Harford parish records churchwardens' accounts & rates book dcro exeter, harford pw/1.


Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Barn shown on the Tithe Map. Court does not appear to have been marked.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'King's Barn' depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'King's Barn' depicted on the early 20th century historic map.


Linehan, C. D., 1966, Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon, p.135. (Article in Serial). SDV307246.


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist, 9/5/1978 (Worksheet). SDV149931.

King's Barn. Sited in a meadow south of the Harford-Cornwood road, now part of Hall Farm 300 metres distant. A stream flows through the meadow 30 metres north of the barn.
History. In 1332 Thomas Kyng was assessed 20d lay subsidy in the tithing of Harford. From 1695-1793 (the period of the surviving parish records) "the occupiers of King's" appear in the assessments for church rates. In 1840 Tithe apportionment "King's" is part of the estate in Harford owned by Sir John l. Rodgers of Blachford in Cornwood parish.
Description. The barn with its associated court occupies 30 perches (tithe apportionment). Rectangular in plan, with hipped roof, the barn has been rebuilt or very much restored within the last 100 years - the random granite building has some ashlar and brick. The small court on the northern side towards the stream is bounded by older stone walls. If there were a farmstead here at any time the probable site would be west of the barn and court, in King's Barn Park (number 225 on Tithe Map). The ground here, above the stream, shows signs of disturbance in levels, but as yet no 'building platforms' have been recognised.


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford, 9/5/1978 (Un-published). SDV361875.

King's Barn. Sited in a meadow south of the Harford-Cornwood road, now part of Hall Farm 300 metres distant. A stream flows through the meadow 30 metres north of the barn.
History. In 1332 Thomas Kyng was assessed 20d lay subsidy in the tithing of Harford. From 1695-1793 (the period of the surviving parish records) "the occupiers of King's" appear in the assessments for church rates. In 1840 Tithe apportionment "King's" is part of the estate in Harford owned by Sir John l. Rodgers of Blachford in Cornwood parish.
Description. The barn with its associated court occupies 30 perches (tithe apportionment). Rectangular in plan, with hipped roof, the barn has been rebuilt or very much restored within the last 100 years - the random granite building has some ashlar and brick. The small court on the northern side towards the stream is bounded by older stone walls. If there were a farmstead here at any time the probable site would be west of the barn and court, in King's Barn Park (number 225 on Tithe Map). The ground here, above the stream, shows signs of disturbance in levels, but as yet no 'building platforms' have been recognised.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads (Un-published). SDV352501.

Included on list. No further detail supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

King's Barn is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV144875Migrated Record:
SDV144876Migrated Record:
SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital. 9/5/1978.
SDV307246Article in Serial: Linehan, C. D.. 1966. Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon. Medieval Archaeology. 10. Digital. p.135..
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80769 ]
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound. 9/5/1978.

Associated Monuments

MDV78079Related to: Hall Farm, Harford (Monument)
MDV51820Related to: Possible site of a settlement, Harford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 17 2015 1:43PM