HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13184
Name:BUILDING in the Parish of Walkhampton

Summary

Building at newleycombe head. A long roofless building, probably a tinners' hut rather than a blowing house. The building has a good fireplace, and inside is a square block of granite, used for testing tinners' and quarrymen's drills (starkey). Vis=4/7/1966 (haynes). A substantially built dwelling house 6.4m x 3.0m, with fireplace and chimney. May have been a tinner's shelter or used in construction of devonport leat. Certainly not a farm. Still retained an iron roof in 1930's. J. V. Somers-cocks identifies it as a blacksmith's and general purpose shop and store abandoned after the completion of the devonport leat tunnel. Vis=not visible on raf 1946/7 photos (rchm app 1985).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 601 699
Map Sheet:SX66NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Extensive earthwork and structural remains of the late 18th century Devonport Leat, Bronze Age features north-east of Nun’s Cross, Whiteworks Tin Mine and other tinning remains on Walkhampton Common as well as earthworks of Bachelors Hall Mine

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX66NW/78
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TINNERS HUT (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

RCHM APP 1985, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV223987.

Building at newleycombe head. A long roofless building, probably a tinners' hut rather than a blowing house. The building has a good fireplace, and inside is a square block of granite, used for testing tinners' and quarrymen's drills (starkey). Vis=4/7/1966 (haynes). A substantially built dwelling house 6.4m x 3.0m, with fireplace and chimney. May have been a tinner's shelter or used in construction of devonport leat. Certainly not a farm. Still retained an iron roof in 1930's. J. V. Somers-cocks identifies it as a blacksmith's and general purpose shop and store abandoned after the completion of the devonport leat tunnel. Vis=not visible on raf 1946/7 photos (rchm app 1985).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV223988.

Osa=sx66nw56.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV223989.

Starkey, f. H. /dcnq/34 pt.3(1978-1981)104/the area around nuns cross farm.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV223990.

Des=haynes, r. G. /ruined sites on dartmoor/(nd)96. Plan/ms in smr.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV223987Report - Survey: RCHM APP 1985.
SDV223988Migrated Record:
SDV223989Migrated Record:
SDV223990Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV62525Related to: Nun's Cross tunnel (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7382 - Condition Survey of the Cramber Tor Training Area

Date Last Edited:Sep 24 2018 2:28PM