HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13311
Name:Former chapel (now 14-15 Totnes Road), South Brent

Summary

Early 19th century independent chapel marked on the Tithe Map. Converted into a pair of privately owned dwellings, possibly as early the later 19th century. Building comprises a rectangular stone built structure now colour washed. Modern doors and windows are inserted. Slate single pitch roof. One Gothic arch window surviving (filled) in centre of south side facing street. One corner, the south-east has a rounded corner carried to head height which appears original.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 699 600
Map Sheet:SX66SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX66SE/179

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1843 AD (Between))
  • HOUSE (Altered, XIX - 1875 AD? to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Recorded on the Tithe Apportionment of 1843 where the entry reads - 2894 'Chapel', no owner or occupier being given (the number on the map is 2894 but the entry in the accompanying apportionment is given incorrectly as 2984). (Robinson's recording)


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building is not marked as a chapel on the late 19th century historic map (or later editions) and is shown divided, so may have already been converted to dwellings by this time.


Robinson, R., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for South Brent (Report - non-specific). SDV150007.

(Visited in 1979 - estimate) Chapel, corner of Chapel Fields. Now a pair of private houses, numbers 14 and 15 Totnes Road. Probably early 19th century independent chapel.
Chapel is shown on the Tithe Apportionment.
This is said to have been built not long before 1843. The two houses together comprise a rectangular stone built structure now colour washed. Modern doors and windows are inserted. Slate single pitch roof. One Gothic arch window surviving (filled) in centre of south side facing street. One corner, the south-east has a rounded corner carried to head height which appears original.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV150007Report - non-specific: Robinson, R.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for South Brent. DAS/DCRA Publication. 8. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV121593Related to: 10-13 Totnes Road (Building)
MDV121594Related to: Old School House, South Brent (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 27 2018 11:50AM