HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV13528
Name:Higher Mill, Kingsteignton


Higher Mill and the adjoining Mill House are largely late 18th/early 19th century in date but are probably a remodelling of an earlier building. The mill, which was still working in 1952, formerly had three pairs of stones and a roller mill. Most of the machinery is said to have been removed to restore another mill. However, the overshot wheel and part of the gearing are still extant. The mill and house were both badly damaged by fire in 2020.


Grid Reference:SX 871 732
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKingsteignton
Ecclesiastical ParishKINGSTEIGNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/70
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85386
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX87SE34

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX87SE34 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV349035.

Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV364923.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Higher Mill (Corn) marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.

Ordnance Survey, 1906, 109SE* (Cartographic). SDV336786.

Department of Environment, 1952, Newton Abbot RD, 70 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV304573.

A three-storeyed 17th century building with overshot iron wheel inside, three pairs of stones and a roller mill. Listed Grade III.

Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, 1982, Mills Index (Un-published). SDV12998.

The mill has been converted.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 38 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Other details: No. 2.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 282 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Described in an advertisement of 1846 as being 'worked by a never-failing stream of Water with an over-shot Wheel; there are three pairs of Stones and powerful Gear and Tackle; the Mill house is very roomy and convenient, and furnished with very large Corn Bins. The Dwelling-house is commodious and in every respect adapted for a respectable Family'. Most of the machinery is said to have been removed to restore another mill although a small overshot wheel is said to survive.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Higher Mill and Millhouse. Largely late 18th/early 19th century but probably a remodelling of an earlier building. Whitewashed and roughcast; slate roof to miller's house, gabled at ends, other roofs corrugated iron; axial and 2 left end stacks. Double depth miller's house, 2 rooms wide with a central entrance into a stair hall. A projection at the right end of the house contains the mill wheel which is powered by a leat known as the Fairwater which continues through the centre of Kingsteignton and also serves Lower Mill. There is a 2 storey flat-roofed addition at the rear left and behind that a single storey block. Rear right block with mansard roof at right angles to the main range appears to be largely rebuilt. The building sequence is difficult to unravel: a projecting stack on the left gable end of the miller's house appears to be earlier than the details of the front elevation and the single-storey block may also predate the 18th century. Three storey miller's house. Symmetrical 3-bay front with a central front door, formerly with a panelled doorhood, columns and glazed fanlight (1952 list description). The ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes without horns; first floor window right similar, first floor windows left and centre have been reglazed as 4 pane sashes but in original embrasures. Three first floor blocked or blind windows. The left gable end, facing Crossley Moor Road, has end stacks both to the front and the rear of the ridge, the rear stack projecting. This elevation has a first floor 16-pane sash without horns, a ground floor 4-pane sash probably replacing one with smaller panes and a 2-light second floor casement, 3 panes per light. The single- storey block adjoining at the rear has a 3 plank 17th or 18th century door. The overshot wheel is in a shallow projection at the right end of the main range. It has an iron rim with timber spokes and buckets. The old list description referred to '3 pairs of stones and a roller mill all worked off the wheel' (1952). Most of the machinery is said to have been removed in order to restore another mill, any machinery that survives has been cased into a room to which there is no access. The mill was in use in 1952, the buildings are now in 2 occupations. Group value with the Fairwater and No 19 (Thatchers) opposite. Date listed: 21st June 1977.

Teignbridge District Council, 2022, 21/02279/FUL (Planning Application). SDV364936.

A Heritage Statement submitted in support of an application for restoration and conversion of the mill gives a history and description of the mill and millhouse which were extensively damaged by fire in March 2020.
There has probably been a mill on this site since the 13th century. However, the present stone and brick building is predominently late 18th-early 19th century in date. It is shown on the 1840 Tithe Map. An adjoining four storey block and lean-to are later in date, with the upper floor of the lean-to being added in the 20th century.
The Mill House is L-shaped on plan. It was described in a sales notice of 1846 as having two parlours, kitchen and scullery, plus offices and appendages, six bedrooms and attics for servants and comparison with the current floor plan shows it to have changed little, although the kitchen is no longer at the rear. Some original features remain but all have been fire damaged.
The mill, to the rear, in fills the L-shape, so that the whole forms a large block on plan. An entrance passage from the roadside gives access to the mill. It is understood to have been working in 1952 and that most of the milling machinery was subsequently removed, between 1952 and 1977. Few historic features now survive, following the fire. However, the overshot waterwheel and metal pitwheel survive as does the shaft and crownwheel, although the latter were badly charred. Other metal gears and a millstone were recovered from the rubble.

Department of Environment, 28/04/1987, Kingsteignton, 83 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV289967.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV12998Un-published: Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. 1982. Mills Index. Mills Index. A4 Stapled.
SDV289967List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 28/04/1987. Kingsteignton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 83.
SDV304573List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1952. Newton Abbot RD. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 70.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 38.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 282.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1906. 109SE*. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #80943 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349035Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX87SE34. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV364923Report - Survey:
SDV364936Planning Application: Teignbridge District Council. 2022. 21/02279/FUL. Teignbridge District Council. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV9249Related to: Fairwater Leat, Kingsteignton (Monument)
MDV9250Related to: Lower Mill, Kingsteignton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jul 29 2022 2:16PM