HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13602
Name:The Old Court House (Lambel's Cottage), Ashburton

Summary

Late medieval house, altered in the early or mid-17th century. Probably the former priest's house attached to the Chapel of St Lawrence; now a private house. Rendered solid walls with exposed red sandstone quoins. Asbestos-slated roof with 1970s horse-rider ceramic ridge-tile. 17th century projecting stone rubble front chimney to right. Two-room-and-through-passage plan.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 757 698
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NE/41
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX76NE28

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (XIV to Late Medieval - 1314 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1973, Ashburton, 35 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV300597.

Lambel's Cottage (The Old Court House) on the east side of St. Lawrence Lane, is a two storey building of 1314(?) with later alterations.
Limestone with some red sandstone. Quoins. Plastered. Steep roof. It has a stone pointed doorway, 14th century.
The interior: timber framed crosswalls with chamfered tall panels, ovolo-moulded beam. Possibly 16th or 17th century ovolo-moulded three light casement panels at 1st floor. Hewn roof-trusses and purlins. Ground floor wide fireplace with heavy stopped ovolo-moulded beam. First floor small wide fireplace with beam above. Shouldered head of doorway in ground floor screen wall, and lower part of what might be a wishbone cruck, cut off and now supporting a beam at first floor level. Windows with seats and splayed jambs.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

The Old Courthouse is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 21/02/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

ASHBURTON - SX7569 ST LAWRENCE LANE 849-1/10/170 (East side (off)) 10/05/73 The Old Court House (Formerly Listed as: ST LAWRENCE LANE (East side) Lambel's Cottage (Old Court House)) - GV II*
Probably former priest's house attached to Chapel of St Lawrence (qv), now a private house. Late medieval, altered early or mid C17. Rendered solid walls with exposed red sandstone quoins. Asbestos-slated roof with 1970s horse-rider ceramic ridge-tile. C17 projecting stone rubble front chimney to right.
2-room-and-through-passage. Medieval hall to left with later chimneybreast in gable wall. Service room to right, converted to heated parlour in C17. House is likely to have extended further left originally; evidence of former rear wing here with battered wall. 2 storeys. Approximately centre doorway with early or mid C17 double-ovolo-moulded wood frame. Wood casement window with glazing-bars at either side. Early or mid C17 three-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions in upper storey to left. At rear of passage a medieval wood door-frame with sharply pointed arch. To right of it (behind the service end) a blocked doorway with plain red-sandstone jambs.
Interior: stud-and-panel screens with chamfered studs both sides of passage screen to right has diagonal-cut stops and shouldered-head doorway; adjoining latter the remains of a matching doorway. Screen to left originally had flat-headed doorway about 2m wide, reduced in width in early or mid C17 by the insertion of 2 scratch-moulded studs. Right-hand room has fireplace with early or mid-C17 ovolo-moulded wood lintel; chamfered longitudinal beam supported at left-hand end by a shoulder-headed post that seems to be integral with the screen. C19 kingpost-and-ridge roof.
Listing NGR: SX7570369861.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV300597List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1973. Ashburton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 35.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80967 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 21/02/2017.

Associated Monuments

MDV29229Related to: 17 St Lawrence Lane, Ashburton (Building)
MDV7875Related to: Chapel of St. Lawrence, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23262Related to: Garden walls at Lambel's Cottage, Ashburton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 21 2017 12:40PM