HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13653
Name:Moorlands and Moorland Cottage, South Brent

Summary

Local tradition states that this building once housed the Harbourneford inn, although no documentary evidence of this has so far been found. Building is now two semi-detached private houses but appears to have originated as a 17th century farmhouse with cross passage; lower end may have been a shippon converted to a cottage by the late 18th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 716 622
Map Sheet:SX76SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76SW/54

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS PASSAGE HOUSE (Constructed, XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))
  • INN? (Altered, XVIII - 1750 AD? to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building is depicted on the Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Late 19th century historic map shows the building.


Robinson, R., 1977-1979, South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets, Est 1979, Pages 596-7, 810-812 of 821 (Worksheet). SDV340722.

Harbourneford Inn. SX71646223
Local tradition of a coaching inn. The topmost building in the hamlet of Harbourneford has a strong local tradition of at some time having been an inn (personal comments from locals). It is now two semi-detached private houses and the fabric of the building suggests that it is an 17th century farmhouse in origin, with an identifiable cross passage; the lower end may have been a shippon and converted to a cottage by the late 18th or early 19th century.
No documentary evidence has come to light to support this tradition. It is also said that the house had a cellar 'into which barrels of beer were rolled'. The floor of the west or lower end of the house has been dug out and re-laid (1979) with no trace of a cellar being found.
SX71646223 Moorlands and Moorland Cottage, Harbourneford
These two houses, now separate dwellings, were originally a single farmhouse.
Site: facing south long axis down slope.
Material: slate rubble with dressed granite quoins. Slate roof.
Plan: three room with cross passage behind stack.
Features: fireplace, beams are not accessible in upper house. Lower house has drop in level roughly on lower side of cross passage. Beam in position marked as chamfered. Fireplace appears a later insertion of small size with neat dressed granite arch. The north wall has been rebuilt at an angle to the original and a reveal in the outer face of the west wall on the extension pf the line of the back wall of the upper house suggests that this was the original north-east corner of the gable end. This replacement wall has a long beam in it as shown at a height of about 6 feet. It is of crude timber. If it indicates wide barn doors opening into the yard to the north, this must argue a stage after this wall was rebuilt and before the stone outshut was built when this end of the house functioned as a barn. It is impossible to be sure whether it was ever a shippon originally but it seems likely.
Scale plan of the building included.
Land Tax records (1747) ‘John Luscombe for Harbortonford’.
Marley Map Book (1810) ‘Luscombe’s Tenement’. House shown as no. 30: Barn, Court, House and Garden.
The Tithe Apportionment (1843) shows the house listed as plot 2411: ‘Luscombe’s Tenement. Dwelling house, other buildings and yard’. Owner Lady Elizabeth Carew and Margaret Bowerman, occupier William Broadridge. Several small buildings are shown at rear (see plan). William Broadridge at this time also held Court Gate and it seems likely that by this date the house had become two farm cottages for his workmen; the outshut is shown so must pre-date 1843.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Modern mapping depicts 'Moorlands' and 'Moorland Cottage'. Have been extended in modern times to the rear.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340722Worksheet: Robinson, R.. 1977-1979. South Brent Parish Checklist Worksheets. South Brent Parish Checklist. Worksheet. Est 1979, Pages 596-7, 810-812 of 821.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #80974 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV113220Related to: Court Gate Farmstead at Harbourneford, South Brent (Monument)
MDV13698Related to: Part of the Exeter to Plymouth turnpike road (Monument)
MDV121803Related to: Rose Cottage, Harbourneford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 6 2018 3:31PM