HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1369
Name:St Peter's Church, Tiverton

Summary

Parish church, partly 15th century but incorporating re-sited 12th century doorway. South porch and chapel of 1517, porch rebuilt and chapel restored early 19th century, very substantial rebuilding, restoration and extension in mid 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 954 128
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5049
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/21
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 485408

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XI to XIX - 1001 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, Untitled Source (Ground Photograph). SDV321257.

Other details: Films 37,41.


Devon Record Office, Untitled Source (Record Office Collection). SDV35422.

Illustrations by Swete. Other details: Document: 564M/11/192.


Oliver, G., 1840, Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon, 105 (Monograph). SDV35446.


Appleton, E., 1865, The Artistic Treatment of Devon Building Materials, 62-7 (Article in Serial). SDV35440.


Pengelly, W., 1876, Devonshire Gleanings from 'Notes and Queries', 767 (Article in Serial). SDV56474.

St Peter's Parish Church. Inscription on the eight bells in the tower.1) W. E. 'glory to god in the highest, 1737'. 2) Do. 'and on earth peace, 1737'. 3) Do. 'goodwill towards men, 1737'. 4) Do. 'prosperity to all our benefactors, 1737'. 5) 'W M Evans of Chepstowe cast us all, 1737'. 6) 'Thomas Bilbie of Colompton Fecit, 1791'. 7) 'W. E. , 1737. Mr. Thos. Anstey, Mr. Clement Govett, Churchwardens'. 8) Do. , 1737. Mr. John Owen, Churchwarden, and George Osmond, esq. , Mayor, 1736'.


Chanter, J. F., 1890, 2nd Report on Devon Records, 61-5 (Article in Serial). SDV35442.


Anonymous, 1900, St Peter's Church, Tiverton, 44-7 (Article in Serial). SDV35421.

Details of church given after excursion in 1900.


Amery, P. F. S., 1900-1901, A Tour across Dartmoor into North Devon by the Rev. John Swete 1789, 205-8 (Article in Serial). SDV18670.

There is a short reference to Tiverton Church in the Rev J Swete's account of his tour of North Devon in 1789.


F. W., 1902-1903, An Unidentified Coat in Tiverton Church, 108,196-7 (Article in Serial). SDV35418.

Article attempting to identify the coat of arms in the church.


A. J. J., 1902-1903, An Unidentified Coat in Tiverton Church, 145,155,191 (Article in Serial). SDV35449.


Greenway, E. M., 1902-1903, An Unidentified Coat in Tiverton Church, 155, 236 (Article in Serial). SDV35419.

Another theory explaining the coat of arms in Tiverton Church.


Chalk, E. S., 1902-1903, Badges & Supporters in the Courtenay Arms, 160 (Article in Serial). SDV35416.

Illustration and article on an unidentified coat of arms in Tiverton Church.


Chalk, E. S., 1902-1903, John Greeneway and his Chapel at Tiverton, 67-8 (Article in Serial). SDV35415.


Chalk, E. S., 1902-1903, Subjects Illustrating the Life of Christ on John Greeeways Chapel, St Peter's, Tiverton, 193-6 (Article in Serial). SDV35417.


Rogers, W. H. H., 1902-1903, Two Tudor Merchants of the Staple of Tiverton and Cullompton, Devon, 41-56 (Article in Serial). SDV34363.


Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 459,469,484,485,490 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.


Prideaux, E. K., 1918, Late Medieval Sculpture from the Church of St Peter, Tiverton., 209-40 (Article in Serial). SDV34366.


Adams, M., 1919, Proceedings at the 58th Annual Meeting, 28-9 (Article in Serial). SDV55584.

Maces made by Benjamin Pyne in 1727. He also made the maces of Westminster and Winchester. Of unusual form, their open-arch crowns rising from a circle of crosses and fleur-de-lys. The richly decorated shafts are of baluster form, with raised and chased conventional foliage. On the flat plate at the top under the open arches are the royal arms. The round heads are divided into four compartments. The first contains a shield with the arms of the borough; the others a harp, fleur-de-lys and rose, each with the crown with it. The Tiverton Water Bailiff's Staff is rare, there being only two others in England, at Hull and Harwich. On a long bamboo, it has no hallmarks, but is probably of the end of 17th century. It has a silver ball top, surmounted by a shield with arms of the borough.


Chalk, E. S., 1919, Proceedings at the 58th Annual Meeting, 30-1 (Article in Serial). SDV35430.


Chalk, E. S., 1926 - 1927, A Courtnay Chapel at Tiverton, 346-8 (Article in Serial). SDV35413.

The evidence for the Courtnay Chapel and its date of destruction is discussed.


Cresswell, B. F., 1927, Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders, 161,164 (Article in Serial). SDV124362.


Anonymous, 1927, Proceedings of the Congress of the British Archaeological Association at Exeter, 25-6 (Article in Serial). SDV35433.


Chalk, E. S., 1927, Some Account of the Church of St Peter, Tiverton, 90-7 (Article in Serial). SDV35409.

Norman north door of St Peter's, Tiverton, presumably served the castle and was moved at the restoration in 1856. Vestry contains finest collection of 17th century tracts in Devon.


Chalk, E. S., 1928 - 1929, A Courtnay Chapel at Tiverton, 20 (Article in Serial). SDV35412.

Chalk citing Oliver, suggests that two chapels were in existence within the church.


Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Tiverton in Early Times, 14-6 (Article in Monograph). SDV35420.

The early history of the church is described, particularly the associations with St James' Priory.


Salmon, J., 1936, St. Christopher in English Medieval Art and Life, 91,107 (Article in Serial). SDV35410.

On the parapet of the south porch is a St Christopher. The carving on this porch seems to have been almost entirely renewed.


Hughes, J. B., 1952, Proceedings of the Congress of the British Archaeological Association at Exeter, 232-7 (Article in Serial). SDV35407.

St. Peters Church, Tiverton was consecrated in 1073. Norman north door. In 1146 was given to St James Priory, Exeter. Tower built circa 1500. John Greenway, a Tudor merchant of Tiverton, built a chapel and accompanying south porch, completed 1517. Also rebuilt the entire south side of porch in 1529, which has much carving, including ships, woolpacks, staple marks, coats of arms. Figures of men, women and children on the corbel line of the chapel are representing events in the life of Christ, beginning with the flight from Egypt and ending with the Ascension into Heaven. The chapel was rebuilt circa 1820 - the screen dividing chapel from aisle within is thought to be preserved in Powderham Church. West tower is of the Somerset class, interior mostly rebuilt in 1853 by Ashworth of Exeter. Memorial brasses to John and Joan Greenway (1529) were removed in 1916. Important tombs to merchants John Waldron and George Slee; pictures by Richard Cosway and Gasper de Crayer. Probably a collegiate church. Norman church built by Leofric, first Bishop of Exeter, probably on site of present chancel. Replaced by larger buildings at end of 14th century. Built of local red stone and of Ham, Beer, and Bath stone. Tower dates from early 15th century.


Radford, C. A. R., 1957, Tiverton, St. Peter's Church, 141 (Article in Serial). SDV35441.


Youings, J., 1967, King Jame's Charter to Tiverton 1615, 148-9 (Article in Serial). SDV35411.

A Norman doorway is the only visible remaining fabric of the building granted to St James's Priory, Exeter, in 1146.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 42 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Parish church. Mainly 15th century. Norman doorway. South porch and Greenway Chapel fine early 16th century work. Roodscreen has been removed to Holcombe Rogus. Organ by Schmidt, 1669, carving attributed to Grinling Gibbons.


Welsford, A., 1974, Mr Newte's library in St Peters Church Tiverton., 17-31 (Article in Serial). SDV52800.

When John Newte, Rector of Pitt and Tidcombe Portions, Tiverton, died in 1706, he bequethed his library of 322 volumes to St. Peter's Church. Some volumes have disappeared, but the majority of books are still housed in a vestry in the church.


Welsford, A., 1975, Mr Newte's Library, Pt 2, 18 (Article in Serial). SDV52802.

In his will John Newte bequethed over 250 books toform a permanent Parochial Library for the use of the clergy of Tiverton and the masters of Blundells and Chilcotts Schools. It is one of the few surviving such libraries in the county.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tiverton Town Trails, 65 (Article in Monograph). SDV352466.

The Greenway Chapel has carvings of merchant ships.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 197 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

St. Peter's Church is first documented in 1146 when it was granted to St. James' Priory in Exeter by Baldwin de Redvers. The oldest part of the present building is the west tower of circa 1400. John Greenway, a wealthy local merchant, added a new chapel in 1517. Extensive modernisation was undertaken in the 19th century.


Timms, S. C., 1982, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV35424.

Exterior of Greenway Chapel is being comprehensively restored.


Blaylock, S. R., 1985, Greenway's Porch, St Peter's Church, Tiverton, 42 (Article in Serial). SDV354907.

Survey of the porch adjoining the Greenway Chapel carried out in 1985 in order to provide a detailed record of the fabric prior to restoration. Analysis showed that only the sculpted panels forming the centrepiece together with the flanking niches and some other isolated blocks belong to the original porch of 1517.


Blaylock, S. R., 1985, St. Peter's Church, Tiverton: Report of Survey on Greenway's Porch, 1 (Report - Survey). SDV35425.

A survey of the porch adjoining Greenway's Chapel was undertaken during May and June 1985. It emerged that of the original porch of 1517 only the sculpted panels forming the centrepiece to the design, along with the flanking niches and some other isolated blocks, had survived the various rebuildings. Major phases of rebuilding or repair were identified and dated to 1825, slightly later in the 19th century and 1908.


Blaylock, S. R., 1986, A Survey of Greenway's Porch at St Peter's Church, Tiverton., 85-105 (Article in Serial). SDV57407.

A full survey of the porch adjoining Greenway's Chapel is given. The interior survives in its original form of circa1517 although damaged. The main relief panels were preserved in successive restoration but much of the surrounding facework has been replaced. Four stages of alteration and restoration were identified and a complex structural history established. See article for full details. The appendix compares and contrasts the sculpture with other work of the same period such as the two early 16th century additions to Exeter Cathedral, the Speke and Oldham Chantries and the Dorset aisle of the Collegiate church of Ottery St Mary. Other details: Photos.


Blaylock, S. R., 1986, St Peter's Church, Tiverton. Greenway's Porch: The Interior, 1 (Report - Survey). SDV35426.

As a second stage to the survey of Greenway's Porch at St Peter's Church, the interior was inspected and recorded during 1986. This work was occasioned by the cleaning and shelter-coating of the sculptures of the north wall and the vault in January/February 1986. The present report offers a record of the porch interior and additional and complementary material on the fabric of the exterior recorded previously.


Laithwaite, M., 1987, Report on the Tiverton Castle Project 1987, 9-14 (Un-published). SDV35428.

A will of 1527 refers to "new chapell lately edefyed and bylded in the southe syde of the churche of Seynt Peter". It goes on to speak of a chapel standing in the churchyard implying that these were two separate chapels.


Griffith, F. M., 1988, DAP/KF, 2-5 (Aerial Photograph). SDV35468.


Griffith, F. M., 1988, DAP/KX, 4-8a (Aerial Photograph). SDV35469.


Griffith, F. M., 1988, Devon's Past. An Aerial View, 105 (Monograph). SDV64198.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 808-810 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Mid Devon District Council, 1995, Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application, 5, 9 (Un-published). SDV346055.


Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, 2004, A Conservation Plan for Tuckers Hall, Exeter, 10 (Report - non-specific). SDV319614.

The 1517 Greenway aisle at Tiverton parish church is decorated with carvings that include wool references.


National Monuments Record, 2012, 36480 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV35429.

Mainly 15th century with a tall sandstone west tower (the west doorway is 17th century Gothic) and an embattled and buttressed south aisle of grey limestone. The south porch and Greenway chapel are dated 1517. Remains of a simple Norman doorway with zigzag decoration is built into the north aisle of the church, which was rebuilt in 1856. Other details: SS91SE39; photos in National Buildings Record.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Parish church. Partly 15th century but incorporating re-sited 12th century doorway. south porch and chapel of 1517, porch rebuilt 1825, south chapel restored 1829 under the supervision of GA Boyce, with Watkins as mason; very substantial rebuilding, restoration and extension in 1853-1856 to the designs of Edward Ashworth of Exeter.
Materials: snecked and coursed rubble local purple and volcanic masonry with Beerstone and (rare in Devon churches) Ham Hill stone dressings to the medieval masonry and Bathstone dressings to the 19th century rebuilding. Show front of south porch and south chapel Beerstone ashlar on local purple rubble plinth. Roof concealed behind parapet. Cast-iron rainwater goods, with some dated hoppers with Gothic detail, some stamped Paine and Haydon.
Plan: sited adjacent to and south of Tiverton Castle on a cliff overlooking the River Exe to the west. Three-bay chancel with north and south chancel chapels. six-bay clerestoried nave with north and south aisles and west tower. Two-bay Greenway chapel with porch adjoining to west on south side. Two-bay organ chamber with vestry adjoining to east on north side. The north aisle was doubled in width in 1853-1856 by Ashworth, who added the organ chamber and vestry, rebuilt the chancel and rebuilt both aisle arcades in Bathstone, preserving the Beerstone Perpendicular capitals and responds. The church was structurally unsound before his restoration work.
Exterior: Perpendicular in manner although most of the windows and much of the masonry is Victorian. Described by Pevsner as 'A gorgeously ostentatious display of civic pride' including the outstanding late Perpendicular Greenway chapel and porch ensemble on the south side which is the show front to St Peter Street. The exterior has a plinth with moulded string and tall parapets and is mostly embattled with lavish carving, not only on the Perpendicular tower but particularly to the Greenway chapel and porch and also to Ashworth's work which is characterised by richly-carved corbel tables below the parapet including outsize gargoyles. Chancel, slightly lower than the nave, is gabled with set-back buttresses with tall pinnacles with crocketed finials. Five-light 1850s traceried east window with intersecting tracery, hoodmould and carved label stops. north and south chancel windows are also Victorian, two-light and traceried with transoms. The South chancel chapel has a six-light east window with king mullion and a Ham Hill buttress alongside with set offs. The south side is buttressed with elaborate buttresses with set offs, carvings and pinnacles, some heavily restored and an a frieze of carved ships etc on to the embattled parapet. Three four-light traceried Perpendicular style windows and a brattished Tudor arched doorway with carved spandrels, truncating the central buttress with a probably 17th or early 18th century recessed two-leaf door with fielded panels. The two-bay Greenway chapel projects off the south aisle and is a tour de force of late Perpendicular decoration, much restored. Buttresses with set offs, three dimensional carvings and niches; friezes below the stepped pierced parapet are carved with motifs appropriate to Greenway's mercantile interests:-ships, emblems of the wool trade etc; arms of the merchant venturers' and drapers' companies and a string course carved with scenes from the life of Christ. The east end of the chapel has a Tudor-arched tomb recess with a carved chest with four panels of angels holding heraldic shields. Black letter carved inscriptions record Greenway's foundation of the chapel and date of death. The south porch projects forward slightly from the chapel with diagonal buttresses but is part of the same decorative design. Above the springing of the arch of the moulded doorway the facade is carved with blank tracery, heraldic shields, texts and niches. Figural scenes on the frieze date from 1908 (Pevsner). The west return is local rubble rather than Beerstone ashlar and the poor condition of the parapet carving and the carvings on the buttresses indicate just how heavily restored the carved work is on the show fronts of the porch and chapel. Splendid four-stage west tower, very tall with set-back buttresses with set offs, decorated with sculptures of beasts, and a Ham Hill embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. The west face of the tower has a deeply recessed moulded arched west door with carved spandrels and shallow niches to left and right - Pevsner suggests that this may be part of an early 17th century programme of restoration. Large, deeply-recessed four-light Ham Hill west window with a king mullion; tall two-light transomed belfry windows on the north, south and west side with stone lattice. The south face has a deeply-recessed two-light window with containing what appears to be a delicate lattice of Ham Hill quatrefoils. The north side of the church is wholly Ashworth and has a plaque "restored and enlarged 1853-1856", except for the presumably re-sited round-headed 12th century doorway with dogtooth decoration. The north side is buttressed with mostly four-light 19th century traceried windows. The vestry has a pierced parapet and doorway on the east side.
Interior: the interior of the porch is very fine with a stone vault panelled with ogee reticulation and carved motifs. Above the inner doorway a tympanum shows a carved relief of John and Joan Greenway kneeling on either side of a carving showing the Assumption of the Virgin. Doorway into the Greenway chapel from the porch has a remarkable door with early Renaissance pilasters with arabesques below the middle rail and blind Gothic tracery above. The interior of the church has 19th century timber tie beam roof trusses with brackets on stone carved corbels; painted ceilure to sanctuary. Nineteenth century A-frame aisle roofs. Chancel arch has blind panelling to the responds and capitals carved with boars' heads and a phoenix. Two-bay Beerstone arcades into the chancel chapels are probably medieval; chapels screened off with 19th or early 20th century parcloses and a NS screen to the north chapel. The nave arcade has Perpendicular style piers by Ashworth incorporating good carved medieval capitals. Tudor arched clerestory windows appear to be wholly Victorian. The Greenway chapel is screened off from the main body of the church by a full-height two-bay Beerstone screen with massive open arches on a low wall decorated with blind tracery. The roof of the Greenway chapel is a stone vault, panelled, with twisted openwork pendants. An inscription in a niche records Boyce's work in 1829. Ashworth's organ chamber cum vestry has a double arch to answer the openings to the Greenway chapel. Tall tower arch with blind panelling to the responds and a moulded arch.
Fittings: chancel and choir fittings are 19th century and later with 1850s floor tiles to the chancel and choir and east end dado behind later curtains; carved choir stalls. 1853 stone drum pulpit by Ashworth with blind panelled sides on a wineglass stem; elaborate 1909 font by Harbottle with octagonal bowl and stem decorated with saints under nodding ogee arches; good late Victorian brass eagle lectern with enamel inlay. Nineteenth century benches to the nave, some with doors and numbers. north south screen to the north chancel chapel and the reredos to the chapel designed as First World War memorials by Sydney Greenslade and executed by Herbert Read. Organ of 1696 by Christian Smith and, probably John Snetzler, the case reputed to include carvings by Grinling Gibbons; grand brass candelabra purchased in 1709. Nineteenth century mayor's pew incorporates good probably early 17th century unicorn and lion.
Monuments: Gothic carved chest tomb on south side of the chancel to John Waldron a local merchant (qv almshouses in Wellbrook Street) with carved inscription on top. On the other side of the chancel a later chest tomb to another Tiverton merchant, George Slee, founder of Slee's almshouses St Peter Street (qv), died 1603. Chest carved with Renaissance cartouches with caryatids at the corners. Wall monument to Roger Giffard, died 1603 in chancel with paired columns; wall monument with open segmental pediment to John Newte, died 1678. Numerous floor slabs in chancel chapels and at west end.
Stained Glass: an important series of Victorian and Edwardian windows representing national and local glass makers including Hardman (south aisle); east and west windows by William Wailes and north aisle west window by Drake of Exeter and north aisle Sanders memorial window by Fouracre and Watson of Plymouth. Tiverton parish church is one of the grandest parish churches in Devon, remarkable for the architectural impact of the mercantile interest in the town in the Greenway aisle and porch.
History: John Greenway became an official in the Draper's Company and is known to have traded through Kings Lyn as well as London, where he seems to have been based for his working life. He is reputed to have retired to Tiverton. He was the patron of the Almshouses in Gold Street.

Sources / Further Reading

  • Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1927. Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 161,164.
  • Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 459,469,484,485,490.
  • Article in Serial: Amery, P. F. S.. 1900-1901. A Tour across Dartmoor into North Devon by the Rev. John Swete 1789. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 1. Unknown. 205-8.
  • Report - non-specific: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. 2004. A Conservation Plan for Tuckers Hall, Exeter. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10.
  • Ground Photograph: Devon County Council. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. Photograph (Paper).
  • Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 808-810.
  • Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 197.
  • Article in Serial: Rogers, W. H. H.. 1902-1903. Two Tudor Merchants of the Staple of Tiverton and Cullompton, Devon. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2. Unknown. 41-56.
  • Article in Serial: Prideaux, E. K.. 1918. Late Medieval Sculpture from the Church of St Peter, Tiverton.. Archaeological Journal. 75. Unknown. 209-40.
  • Un-published: Mid Devon District Council. 1995. Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5, 9.
  • Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
  • National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
  • Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tiverton Town Trails. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 65.
  • Article in Serial: Hughes, J. B.. 1952. Proceedings of the Congress of the British Archaeological Association at Exeter. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 18. 232-7.
  • Article in Serial: Chalk, E. S.. 1927. Some Account of the Church of St Peter, Tiverton. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 90-7.
  • Article in Serial: Salmon, J.. 1936. St. Christopher in English Medieval Art and Life. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 41. Unknown. 91,107.
  • Article in Serial: Youings, J.. 1967. King Jame's Charter to Tiverton 1615. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 99. A5 Paperback. 148-9.
  • Article in Serial: Chalk, E. S.. 1928 - 1929. A Courtnay Chapel at Tiverton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 15. Unknown. 20.
  • Article in Serial: Chalk, E. S.. 1926 - 1927. A Courtnay Chapel at Tiverton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 14. Unknown. 346-8.
  • Article in Serial: Chalk, E. S.. 1902-1903. John Greeneway and his Chapel at Tiverton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2 Part 1. Unknown. 67-8.
  • Article in Serial: Chalk, E. S.. 1902-1903. Badges & Supporters in the Courtenay Arms. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2 Part 1. Unknown. 160.
  • Article in Serial: Chalk, E. S.. 1902-1903. Subjects Illustrating the Life of Christ on John Greeeways Chapel, St Peter's, Tiverton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2 Part 1. Unknown. 193-6.
  • Article in Serial: F. W.. 1902-1903. An Unidentified Coat in Tiverton Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2 Part 1. Unknown. 108,196-7.
  • Article in Serial: Greenway, E. M.. 1902-1903. An Unidentified Coat in Tiverton Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2 Part 1. Unknown. 155, 236.
  • Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Tiverton in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback. 14-6.
  • Article in Serial: Anonymous. 1900. St Peter's Church, Tiverton. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 46 Part 1. Unknown. 44-7.
  • Record Office Collection: Devon Record Office. Document: 564M/11/192.
  • Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1982.
  • Report - Survey: Blaylock, S. R.. 1985. St. Peter's Church, Tiverton: Report of Survey on Greenway's Porch. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 1.
  • Report - Survey: Blaylock, S. R.. 1986. St Peter's Church, Tiverton. Greenway's Porch: The Interior. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 1.
  • Un-published: Laithwaite, M.. 1987. Report on the Tiverton Castle Project 1987. A4 Stapled. 9-14.
  • National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2012. 36480. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
  • Article in Serial: Chalk, E. S.. 1919. Proceedings at the 58th Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 51. A5 Hardback. 30-1.
  • Article in Serial: Anonymous. 1927. Proceedings of the Congress of the British Archaeological Association at Exeter. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 25-6.
  • Article in Serial: Appleton, E.. 1865. The Artistic Treatment of Devon Building Materials. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1 Part 4. Unknown. 62-7.
  • Article in Serial: Radford, C. A. R.. 1957. Tiverton, St. Peter's Church. Archaeological Journal. 114. Unknown. 141.
  • Article in Serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1890. 2nd Report on Devon Records. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 22. A5 Paperback. 61-5.
  • Monograph: Oliver, G.. 1840. Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon. Ecclesiastical Antiquities in Devon. Vol 2. Unknown. 105.
  • Article in Serial: A. J. J.. 1902-1903. An Unidentified Coat in Tiverton Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 2 Part 1. Unknown. 145,155,191.
  • Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1988. DAP/KF. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 2-5.
  • Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1988. DAP/KX. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 4-8a.
  • Article in Serial: Blaylock, S. R.. 1985. Greenway's Porch, St Peter's Church, Tiverton. Exeter Archaeology 1984/5. A4 Stapled + Digital. 42.
  • List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 42.
  • Article in Serial: Welsford, A.. 1974. Mr Newte's library in St Peters Church Tiverton.. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 106. 17-31.
  • Article in Serial: Welsford, A.. 1975. Mr Newte's Library, Pt 2. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 107. 18.
  • Article in Serial: Adams, M.. 1919. Proceedings at the 58th Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 51. A5 Hardback. 28-9.
  • Article in Serial: Pengelly, W.. 1876. Devonshire Gleanings from 'Notes and Queries'. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 8. A5 Paperback. 767.
  • Article in Serial: Blaylock, S. R.. 1986. A Survey of Greenway's Porch at St Peter's Church, Tiverton.. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 44. Paperback Volume. 85-105.
  • Monograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1988. Devon's Past. An Aerial View. Devon's Past. An Aerial View. Paperback Volume. 105.

Associated Monuments

MDV5532Parent of: Brass Plaques to John and Joan Greenaway, St Peter's Church (Find Spot)
MDV1370Parent of: Tombstone of John and Joan Greenway, St Peter's Church (Monument)
MDV14862Parent of: War Memorial Screen, St Peter's Church (Monument)
MDV50031Related to: Bell Casting Pit, St Peter's Churchyard (Monument)
MDV17297Related to: Collegiate Church of St Peter (Monument)
MDV24616Related to: Former Bluecoat School, Castle Street, Tiverton (Building)
MDV45917Related to: Former Chapel, St Peter's Churchyard (Monument)
MDV44186Related to: Possible Location of Medieval Market (Monument)
MDV1371Related to: Rood Screen and Stone Screen Formerly in St Peter's Church (Monument)
MDV15172Related to: St James's Priory (Monument)
MDV50030Related to: St Peter's Churchyard (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 11:58AM