HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV13759
Name:Tuckenhay Paper Mills, Ashprington


In the early 19th century Tuckhenhay Paper Mills comprising a flour mill and a flax spinning mill. It was converted to paper making in 1829 and by 1870 it was employing about 100 men. A large extension was added in 1899. At one time it had 5 waterwheels but these were superseded by a turbine. The mill produced paper for both the home market and for export and in 1965 was recorded as one of the last four in the country to produce hand-made paper. The buildings have now been converted.


Grid Reference:SX 816 558
Map Sheet:SX85NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAshprington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishCORNWORTHY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85NW/11

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CORN MILL (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • FLAX MILL (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • PAPER MILL (Converted to, XIX - 1829 AD to 1829 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV148.

Shown as 'tuckenhay paper mills' on os 25" (1880s) map with a 'chimney' at sx81705579 and a 'mill leat' to the south (os).

Beckerlegge, J. J., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163751.

According to beckerlegge the paper mill in 1937 contained the paris church clock from totnes, and had done so since 1887 (beckerlegge)(unlikely-dmg).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163754.

Minchinton, w. /industrial archaeology in devon/(1973)19.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163755.

Des=worksheet and mss in parish file.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163756.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163757.

Shorter, a. H. /tda/82(1950)209/paper making industry in devon.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163758.

Shorter, a. H. /dcnq/23(1947-1949)101/paper mills in devon and cornwall.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163759.

Beckerlegge, j. J. /tda/69(1937)218.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163760.

Des=snell, r. /green lanes in devon project/(1986).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163761.

Pim, r. /kingsbridge history society recorder/9(1993)13/water powr in the south hams/in smr.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163762.

Des=os 6"(1904)127nw.

Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV163763.

Aph=dap/ss 2-4(10/7/1990).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163764.

Des=bodman,m. /watermills and other water-powered sites in devon/(september 2003)83-84/interim draft report in smr.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV163765.

Des=os 25" (1880s).

Shorter, A. H., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV22571.

Vis=11/4/1978 (booker et al) site consists largely of late victorian buildings, one dated 1889, with some earlier ones - late 18th century. Mill almost completely stripped of fittings. Racks for 'moulds' for paper still survived, and have been recorded. Paper production ceased in 1968, and mill closed in 1970. According to shorter, there were two paper mills at tuckenhay, one first known to be operating in 1829 and still going at the time he was writing; the other in operation between 1832 and 1860. The mill still operating in 1950 was a vat mill, with eight vats (shorter).

Minchinton, W., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV2310.

The tuckenhay paper mill was converted from cloth to paper making in about 1830. The buildings, now disused, may be seen from the road. In the middle of the 19th century, tuckenhay also had a corn mill, sailcloth mill, cider factory, quarries and extensive quays at the mouth of the harbourne taking vessels of 160 tons or more (minchinton).

Unknown, 1978, Tuckenhay Paper Mill 'Mould' Names (Un-published). SDV347737.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 8.16 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 83-4 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Tuckney Mills were described in 1802 as consisting of a grist mill and factory driven by 'two falls of water'. In 1828-9 it was used for flax spinning but still retained a small grist and flour mill together with a dwelling house, gardens, stables and five cottages among other features. The first paper mill was established in 1829 with another in 1832. By 1870 up to 100 men were employed. A large extension with a clock tower was built in 1889. New vats were installed in 1910 and a boom in the paper making trade after the First World War led to addition of another three. Paper was produced for both the home market and for export. At one time there were four overshot wheels supplied from a mill pond, now largely silted up, via a leat and an undershot wheel at a lower level, supplied direct off the River Wash. These were superseded by a turbine. In 1965 the mill is recorded as one of the last four in the country to make hand-made paper. The mill has now been converted into holiday apartments.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Tuckenhay Mill. Paper mill, converted to house. Circa 1829 converted to house in late C20. Slate rubble, colourwashed on north east side with boarded first floor and partly slate-hung on south west side. Grouted scantle slate hipped roof. Plan: L-shaped on plan main ranges with a cellar under the north west end. Single storey wing on the south west corner. Exterior: 3 storeys over a cellar at north west end where the ground is at lower level. The top (second) storey was originally open-sided with posts and wooden louvres or slats between; it is partly still open-sided and the first floor accommodation is set back inside forming a loggia. the stone north west end wall rises up to the eaves and has 2 blocked round-headed cellar doors with 2 basket arch openings on the ground floor and similar but blocked openings on first floor; 4 rectangular openings on the second floor, the centre 2 blocked. The north east side has wide elliptically arched cellar doorway to the right and a regular 6-window range of C20 casements with glazing bars on the ground and first floors; above the second floor originally open for ventilation with wooden vertical slats and now with some small late C20 aluminium sliding windows. Similarly slatted top floor of east wing to left with a later Cl9 2-storey lean-to addition in the angle with a vertically boarded front and a slate monopitch roof. At the north east end of the wing and ground floor a wide vehicular entrance with a timber lintel and late C20 aluminium window in vertically boarded storey above. The north west side of the main range is slate hung on ground and first floors and has late C20 casements with a late C20 timber balcony. Above the second floor is open with timber posts and some of the bays with vertical slats. To the right a low single storey wing with a hipped slate roof and late C20 casements. Interior: not inspected. Note: The paper mill is said to have begun work in 1829 (Hoskins). It produced high quality hand-made paper and was the only surviving 'vat\mill in Devon.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Tuckenhay Paper Mills. Paper mill converted into holiday accommodation. Dated 1889 (datestone H.S. 1889); converted into holiday accommodation in late C20. Mainly slate rubble with red brick window and doorway dressings. West elevation of north range is rendered with ashlar joint lining and partly slate hung. Welsh slate roofs with gabled ends and black glazed ridge tiles. Wing on Plan: The main block in on a NNW-SSE (say N-S) axis has a broad wing on the east side and a low narrow wing on the west side. At a lower ground is level across the north end is the vat house and in the angle to the east is a single storey detached range. Exterior: Built on a steeply sloping site on various levels with range of 1, 2 and 3 storeys. The tall main block is south gable at higher ground level has 3 large segmentally arched windows with keystones and 2 smaller similar windows above with datestone. H.S. 1889 in between and bullseye above in the gable. This block has similar n orth gable end, its west elevation is partly glazed with a large 4 light window from eaves to the second floor level and a slate hung gable-ended slightly lower wing to left (North west) Over the ridge of main block a large Italianate clock turret, square on plan hung at its base, boarded above and with a clock face on each side with small louvres above under the deep bracketed eaves and hipped slate roof with an ornate metal finial and weathervane. To the north of the turret on the ridge of the main range a louvred ventilator with a gable-ended slate roof, segmented headed windows on the north and south sides and in the gable end wall a bull's-eye. At the lower level across the north side of these 2 blocks a gable-ended single storey range with round headed cast-iron frame windows with glazing bars, end walls have 2 storeys of these windows and a bullseye in gables, the west end is rendered and east end has wide round-arched doorway to right with keystone and C19 6-panel double doors with a fanlight above. Also at east end, in the angle with main range, a small single storey gable-ended building with large round-headed windows with keystones, frames and a doorway, with fanlight with glazing bars and plank double doors. Also in north east angle a single storey detached range with round-headed windows and a lunette and west gable end and bullseye in east gable both with keystones. At the south west side of the main block is a long and irregular single storey range which on its north side is built on a revetment and has C20 casements and raking roof dormers. Interior: The north rage was complete late C19 roof of soft wood the trusses with both king and queen-posts with struts and with boarded roof. The other roof also seem to retain their late C19 roofs. Note: This building appears to be an extension to the earlier paper mill (Tuckenhay Mill (qv) which is said to have begun work in 1829. It produced high quality hand-made paper and was the only surviving 'vat'-mill in Devon

Sources / Further Reading

SDV148Migrated Record:
SDV163751Migrated Record: Beckerlegge, J. J..
SDV163754Migrated Record:
SDV163755Migrated Record:
SDV163756Migrated Record:
SDV163757Migrated Record:
SDV163758Migrated Record:
SDV163759Migrated Record:
SDV163760Migrated Record:
SDV163761Migrated Record:
SDV163762Migrated Record:
SDV163763Aerial Photograph:
SDV163764Migrated Record:
SDV163765Migrated Record:
SDV22571Migrated Record: Shorter, A. H..
SDV2310Migrated Record: Minchinton, W..
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 8.16.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 83-4.
SDV347737Un-published: Unknown. 1978. Tuckenhay Paper Mill 'Mould' Names. A1 Rolled + Digital.
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV68846Related to: Millpond serving Tuckenhay Paper Mills (Monument)
MDV108177Related to: Tuckenhay Paper Mill Weir (Monument)
MDV108189Related to: Tuckhenhay Paper Mill Leat (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Oct 14 2014 10:29AM