HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV13971
Name:Lord's Meadow to the east of Crediton

Summary

Lord's Meadow was first mentioned in Domesday and is shown on late 19th and 20th century Ordnance Survey maps.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 844 005
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/10/1
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS80SW20

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD (VIII to XVIII - 701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SS80SW20 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV337631.

The park still retains the name of the 'Lord's Meadow' according to Smith, but the fields so named on Nordens map of 1598, and Ordnance Survey maps, seem too small for a deer park, and too far away from the site of the palace. Donn's map of 1765 suggests that it extended to the west to include the present playing field at SS840004 and northwards towards the Old Tiverton Road.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Lord's Meadow' shown.


Smith, Rev. P., 1882, The Early History of Crediton, 195 (Article in Serial). SDV337632.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Map object based on this source.


Reichel, O. J., 1922, The Manor and Hundred of Crediton, 155 (Article in Serial). SDV40070.

At the time of the Domesday survey 'Lord's Meadow' extended to 80 acres. It formed part of the Lordship lands held by the Bishop of Exeter.


Ordnance Survey, 1953 - 1969, Ordnance Survey Six Inch Map (Cartographic). SDV340358.

'Lord's Meadow' shown.


Luxton, C., 1955, The Tun by the Creedy, 37 (Article in Serial). SDV337633.


Leland, J., 1964, Leland's Itinerary 1535-45, 239 (Monograph). SDV337630.

"The Bishop of Exeter hath a manor-place or palace by the chirch-yarde, and to this manor place there longeth a park".


Donn, B., 1965, A Map of the County of Devon, 1765 (Reprint), NS 9, Map 7A (Monograph). SDV336413.


Gallant, L., 1986, Deer Parks and Paddocks of England (Un-published). SDV656.

Part of Fulford Park extended into Crediton Parish possibly including Lords Meadow. Donn's map of 1765 shows an area called 'Lords Meadow' about half a mile south-west of Fulford House.


Borthwick, A., 1999, Land off Mill Street, Crediton: The archaeological and historical implications of development, 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV323116.


Gillard, M., 2005, Site at Red Cross Hill, Crediton: results of an archaeological evaluation excavation, Appendix 2 (Report - Evaluation). SDV337625.


Exeter Archaeology, 2006, Archaeological assessment of a proposed college site to the east of Exhibition Road, Crediton, 6-7; figures 3, 5-6 (Report - Assessment). SDV337881.

Lord's Meadow is of Saxon origin forming part of the Lordship lands held by the Bishop of Exeter, and apparently associated with with the 80 acres of meadow referred to in the Domesday Book. The Norden map of 1598 shows Lord's Meadow enclosed by hedges with the Litterburn stream running into its western end irrigating the water meadow. The meadow was regarded as one of the best water meadows in England producing grass as early as February. It is said to have been the scene of a rebel encampment during the Prayer Book Rebellion of 1549, and the site of reviews by both Royalists and Roundheads during the Civil War in 1645. By the early 19th century Lord's Meadow was divided into three plots, and by the late 19th century it was divided into six plots. The land had been developed by 1975 with an industrial estate and a sewage works. Part of the meadow was used as a recreational area in th 20th century.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV323116Report - Assessment: Borthwick, A.. 1999. Land off Mill Street, Crediton: The archaeological and historical implications of development. Alison Borthwick & Associates. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336413Monograph: Donn, B.. 1965. A Map of the County of Devon, 1765 (Reprint). A Map of the County of Devon, 1765 (Reprint). Hardback Volume. NS 9, Map 7A.
SDV337625Report - Evaluation: Gillard, M.. 2005. Site at Red Cross Hill, Crediton: results of an archaeological evaluation excavation. Southwest Archaeology Report. 051125. A4 stapled + Digital. Appendix 2.
SDV337630Monograph: Leland, J.. 1964. Leland's Itinerary 1535-45. Leland's Itinerary 1535-45. 1. Unknown. 239.
SDV337631Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS80SW20. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV337632Article in Serial: Smith, Rev. P.. 1882. The Early History of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 14. A5 Hardback. 195.
SDV337633Article in Serial: Luxton, C.. 1955. The Tun by the Creedy. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 37.
SDV337881Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2006. Archaeological assessment of a proposed college site to the east of Exhibition Road, Crediton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.72. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6-7; figures 3, 5-6.
SDV340358Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1953 - 1969. Ordnance Survey Six Inch Map. National Grid A edition imperial. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV40070Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1922. The Manor and Hundred of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 54. A5 Hardback. 155.
SDV656Un-published: Gallant, L.. 1986. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Manuscript.

Associated Monuments

MDV12612Related to: Bishop's Palace in Crediton (Building)
MDV4556Related to: Creedy Park (Monument)
MDV612Related to: Field System to the east of Crediton (Monument)
MDV73212Related to: Former Barn, Commercial Road (Monument)
MDV12298Related to: Little Fulford House, Shobrooke (Building)
MDV16966Related to: Manor of Crediton (Monument)
MDV18869Related to: PARK in the Parish of Crediton, Crediton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV61277Related to: Playing Field to the south of Exhibition Road (Monument)
MDV73211Related to: Sewage Works to the east of Crediton (Monument)
MDV12304Related to: Shobrooke or Fulford Deer Park (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4145 - Red Cross Hill, Crediton
  • EDV4176 - College Site to the east of Exhibition Road in Crediton

Date Last Edited:Jul 11 2017 9:38AM