HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV14081
Name:Tiverton Town Leat

Summary

The town leat, which was given to the borough of Tiverton by the Countess of Devon in 1256, rises approximately six kilometres north-east of Tiverton, and enters the town along the east side of the cemetery. It can be seen in Castle Street as a stone lined channel.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 967 156
Map Sheet:SS91NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

  • Local List: Town Leat, Castle Street
  • SHINE: Upper section of Tiverton Town Leat
  • SHINE: Section of Tiverton Town Leat, south -west of Allers Farm
  • SHINE: Tiverton Town Leat, marked on nineteenth century mapping and medieval origin, south of Colcombe

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91NE/21
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LEAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Town Leat shown from eastern boundary of 'Villa Franca' in the north to Hammett's Lane in the south, circa 100 metres north-west of the River Loman.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Recorded on First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map between SS95551292 and SS95491252.

Skinner, E., 1907, Burg of Tiverton and the Town Leat, 218-221 (Article in Serial). SDV345516.

Research favours the ascribing of this gift to Amica, Countess of Devon, in 1256. The leat rises at SS97571889, passses through Chettiscombe farm, goes under the old railway at 95931388, passes the cemetery and enters the town at SS95801345, gathering force as it approaches the town and fed by numerous springs. There is a 'Perambulation of the Leat' every five or six years by inhabitants, following local custom.

Devon County Council, 1975, Tiverton Town Trails, 65 (Article in Monograph). SDV352466.

Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 200 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

Edginton, C., 1976, Tiverton's Industrial Archaeology, 15 (Monograph). SDV46908.

Traditionally the leat was the gift of Isabella, Countess of Devon, who had the stream diverted in 1262.

Doggett, N., 1982, NDLR1 Card Index, F.19 (Archive - Survey). SDV56213.

Tiverton Town Leat (SS97571890-SS95681235). Rises on Norwood Common, and flows southwards to Tiverton where it can be seen in Castle street. Origins in the 13th century. Leat cut by line on North Devon Link Road 1; to be diverted through a culvert. At this point there appears to be no stone lining visible. Other details: Photo

Unknown, 1982, Untitled Source (Article in Serial). SDV349418.

Ancient ceremony of walking along the Leat by the people of Tiverton, enacted every seven years, held on September 4th 1982.

Doggett, N., 1983, The North Devon Link Road (Stage One). Sampford Peverell to Tiverton, F.19 (Un-published). SDV363254.

The leat was given to Tiverton by the Countess of Devon in 1256. It was diverted through a culvert for the construction of the North Devon Link Road. No finds of evidence of its original form were found during this work and it is considered likely that continual repair and dredging activities have altered its original form.

Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1989, An Archaeological Assessment of the Tiverton Market Square Redevelopment Scheme, 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV336544.

Said to have been given to the town by a 13th or 14th century Countess of Devon.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 816 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Mid Devon District Council, 1995, Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application (Un-published). SDV346055.

The Town Leat can be seen as a water feature at Coggan's Well and down Phoenix Lane.

Trueman, M., 1999-2000, Monuments Protection Programme Stage 3 Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV349416.

Site visit on 4th June 1999. Leat rises at SS97571889. Carries water and is clearly visible along this length. To SS95921388 it is mainly an earth-dug channel, although some sections are stone-lined. Within the town, the leat runs down Castle Street as a narrow, open, stone channel (its appearance suggests a modern rebuild). Then runs to west of market place, also as a stone lined channel, (probably older fabric) with small slab bridges to adjacent houses. Terminates at Coggans Well on Fore Street at SS95491250, now marked by a plaque.

Trueman, M., 2000, Water and Sewage Step 3 Assessment, Monument Protection Programme (Report - non-specific). SDV288012.

Tiverton Town leat was apparently formed in the 13th century, (possibly in 1262 by Isabella, Countess of Devonport or in 1556 by her mother).

Documented medieval town leat for Tiverton, the full route of which survives still in water. To north of the town it is mainly an earth ditch although with lengths of stone lining: within the town part of it is buried and part is open channel mostly with an appearnance of modern rebuild but incorporating some older fabric.

Higbee, L., 2001, Archaeological Recording Along the Route of the Northern Distributor Road: Preliminary Results (Report - Watching Brief). SDV349419.

A profile across the town leat was recorded during a watching brief when it was culverted at SS96001393, along the line of the Tiverton northern distributor road, but no evidence of a stone lining was found.

Goodwin, N., 2002, Tiverton Market: New Access Road off Newport Street, Tiverton (Report - Watching Brief). SDV349420.

Watching brief undertaken from July to October 2002, for access road off Newport Street. Southern trench revealed 19th century pot sherds and clay pipe. A cobbled surface, one metre in length, was uncovered in the east trench above a layer of alluvial deposits containing 19th century material. No archaeological deposits found near remaining section of town leat in monitored area.

Wessex Archaeology, 2003, Blundells Road, Tiverton, Devon: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV345760.

Wessex Archaeology, 2003, Blundells Road, Tiverton, Devon: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Figure 2, site WA4 (Report - Assessment). SDV345760.

Gillard, M. + Green, T. + Humphreys, C., 2009, Electric Bingo Hall Site, Newport Street, Tiverton, Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment, Archaeological Building Survey, Archaeological Evaluation and Excavation (Report - Survey). SDV342146.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Town Leat marked from circa 400 metres north of Buckhayes to just south of the A361, where it enters the town. Then shown intermittently as it runs through the town to Coggan's Well.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, SS91NE6 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV349417.

Tiverton town leat (SS97571890-SS95681235). Rises on Norwood Common, and flows southwards, fed by many springs, until it reaches the town where it can be seen in Castle Street.

Unknown, Unknown, Untitled Source (Ground Photograph). SDV349421.

Colour slide in Sites and Monuments Record slide collection.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV288012Report - non-specific: Trueman, M.. 2000. Water and Sewage Step 3 Assessment, Monument Protection Programme. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Step 3 Report. WIM.I. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 816.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336544Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1989. An Archaeological Assessment of the Tiverton Market Square Redevelopment Scheme. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 89.07. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 200.
SDV342146Report - Survey: Gillard, M. + Green, T. + Humphreys, C.. 2009. Electric Bingo Hall Site, Newport Street, Tiverton, Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment, Archaeological Building Survey, Archaeological Evaluation and Excavation. Southwest Archaeology Report. 090204. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV345516Article in Serial: Skinner, E.. 1907. Burg of Tiverton and the Town Leat. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 39. A5 Hardback. 218-221.
SDV345760Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2003. Blundells Road, Tiverton, Devon: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 54068.01. A4 Stapled + Digital. Figure 2, site WA4.
SDV346055Un-published: Mid Devon District Council. 1995. Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #81122 ]
SDV349416Report - Assessment: Trueman, M.. 1999-2000. Monuments Protection Programme Stage 3 Assessment. English Heritage. Unknown.
SDV349417Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SS91NE6. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV349418Article in Serial: Unknown. 1982. Western Morning News. Unknown.
SDV349419Report - Watching Brief: Higbee, L.. 2001. Archaeological Recording Along the Route of the Northern Distributor Road: Preliminary Results. Exeter Archaeology Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV349420Report - Watching Brief: Goodwin, N.. 2002. Tiverton Market: New Access Road off Newport Street, Tiverton. Exeter Archaeology Historic Environment Record Entry. 4410. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV349421Ground Photograph: Unknown. Unknown. Historic Environment Record Photo Collection. Slide.
SDV352466Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tiverton Town Trails. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 65.
SDV46908Monograph: Edginton, C.. 1976. Tiverton's Industrial Archaeology. Tiverton's Industrial Archaeology. Unknown. 15.
SDV56213Archive - Survey: Doggett, N.. 1982. NDLR1 Card Index. North Devon Link Road Phase 1: Archive. Card Index. F.19.

Associated Monuments

MDV109885Related to: Coggan's Well, Fore Street, Tiverton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4493 - Assessment, Survey and Excavation at the Electric Bingo Hall, Tiverton

Date Last Edited:Nov 6 2019 10:04AM