HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1423
Name:Bradfield House

Summary

Bradfield House

Location

Grid Reference:ST 051 099
Map Sheet:ST00NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishUffculme
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUFFCULME

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST00NE/4
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 95776

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANSION HOUSE (Early Medieval to XVIII - 1066 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV56993.

Bradfield.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV56998.

Bradfield house 16th century with later additions.


HAYWARD, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV57000.

Vis=27/11/1953 (os) now a school run by devon county council, in good state of repair. Author describes condition of bradfield house in 1862 and compares with ground plans of house before periodic alterations and restorations (hayward).


ARCH.J. VOL.30, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57001.

Mainly elizabethan. Carefully restored though original plan has been altered by the destruction of the old kitchen and offices to make a carriage drive. The hall is late tudor, with the arms of edward vi in plaster on one end wall, the dining- and drawing-rooms have rich jacobean work (arch. J. Vol.30).


ANON IN TDA, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57002.

Bradfield was for centuries the home of the walronds (anon in tda).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57004.

Copeland, g. W. /tda/96(1964)23/proceedings at the 102nd meeting.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57005.

Reed, h. /tda/63(1931)49-52/proceedings at the 70th annual meeting.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57006.

French, k. + c. /tda/89(1957)127,128,130/devonshire plasterwork.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57007.

Anon. /tda/63(1931)49-52/proceedings of the 70th annual meeting.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57008.

Osa=st00ne6/photographs.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57009.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of england, south devon/(1952)58.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57010.

Des=country life/14(1903)926-934.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57011.

Des=country life/15(1904)18-26/illustrations.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57012.

Des=photographs in parish file.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57013.

Hayward, j. /jbaa/18(1862)248-252/proceedings of congress of baa at exeter.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57014.

Reader, f. W. /arch. J. /93(1936)259/tudor domestic wall paintings.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57015.

Radford, c. A. R. /arch. J. /114(1957)143-144.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57016.

D. O. E. /hhr: tiverton rd/(1966)37.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57017.

Anon. /arch. J. /30(1872)431-432.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57018.

Anon/country houses and gardens old & new/(dec 1903).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57019.

Anon/country houses and gardens old & new/(jan 1904).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57020.

Doe/hhr:uffculme/(15/4/1987)79-80/8/122.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57021.

Cherry, b. + pevsner, n. /the buildings of england:devon/(1989)197-199,plan.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57022.

Hayward, j. /transactions of the exeter diocesan architectural society/i(1867)79-84.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57023.

Ralegh radford, c. A. /bradfield, in g. A. Payne (ed) uffculme: a culm valley parish/(1988)42-47/(ulhg)/in pf.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57024.

Gray, t. /the garden history of devon (1995)54,55.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV57025.

Des=devon gardens trust: historic parks and gardens - review (1999)/in smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177625.

Vis=-/-/1951 (pevsner) one of the largest elizabethan mansions in devon. No indication of anything pre 16th century. Inscribed dates are 1592, 1604 and to the time of edward vi (mid 16th century). Restored 1861.


REED, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1862.

The drawingroom walls are panelled with arabesque carved pilastersand, the carved wooden chimney piece has a coloured overmantel with the tree of jesse. The strapwork plaster ceilings are of about 1610. The diningroom was formed about 1867 out of two rooms, probably the original diningroom and a cellar. Unique xvi century oak table (reed).


FRENCH, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV25481.

Period 1 (1550-1600) single rib ceiling. Similar design to other large houses within a 15 mile radius of exeter. Period 2 ceiling with enriched ribs (french).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV325895.

Vis=-/-/1965 estimated (doe). One of the most important tudor houses in devon, exterior much restored and partly rebuilt 1860, but interesting interior with magnificent great hall and parlour.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon (Monograph). SDV325629.

The seat of the walronds from the 13c to early 20c. Deceptively 19c appearance when approached from s but its core, visible from e, is a major late medieval hall, re-windowed c.1600, when a large new wing was added at the upper end. The tudor character was reinstated in restoration of c.1860, a conscientious effort for its date, by john hayward. At this time the entrance was moved to the reconstructed s front and a large service wing added further w (cherry +pevsner).


Cox, J., 2009, Some Early Photographs of Bradfield Manor from the National Monuments Record, Photos (Article in Serial). SDV351744.

A series of photographs held by the National Monument Record show restoration underway in 1852-4.
Two of the photographs, dated 1852 and 1853, show 'before' and 'after' elevations of the cast front. These are a record of the self-conscious Victorian aesthetic contrasted with the house as it was before. In April 1852 the east front is shown rendered, the front projecting wings windowed with large pairs of double-hung sashes. The render has been stripped from two sections of the wing to the right. Perhaps these were test panels to investigate the stone. Two large turrets on the ridge of the old hall probably ventilated the roof and, like all the gables and kneelers on the east front, are crowned with delicate squiggly finials, probably iron (and perhaps 17' century?) one with a weathervane. The east front garden is ornamented with two graceful lead statues on plinths and divided up into plots which might have been the remnant of a knot garden, but may be entirely an early 19th century or earlier invention. As far as one can determine, the cast boundary wall of the garden is of simple stone rubble, not unlike an agricultural wall.
The 'after' photograph, taken 1853/54 shows the transformation of the east elevation. The render has been stripped off. The sash windows, evidence of an 18th or early 19" century phase of the house, have been replaced with 2-tier canted bay windows with mullions and transoms and carved stone parapets. The new windows probably let in no more light than their predecessors (perhaps less), but gave more interesting and wider views out of the house from their returns. The roof profile has been made grander and more vertical, the old turrets on the ridge replaced with taller openwork versions with arcading and bell-shaped lead roofs, the right hand turret with a bell. The old sender finials have been replaced with chunky stone pinnacles. All the chimney shafts have been rationalised and rebuilt, at least at the top, with decorative stone bands.
The alterations to the east front of the house are completed by a transformation of the area in front of it, a reminder that the historic treatment of spaces around a building is an integral part of architectural character. Hayward completed the east front court with a pair of massive and rather intimidating gatepiers, topped with urns, and a pair of wrought iron gates, allowing the front to be seen, but identifying, beyond doubt, the private nature of the space in front of the house.
Another photograph in the same series, dated 23rd June 1853, shows the south side of the main block of the house, entirely rebuilt. Empty put-log holes (along with the relative compieteness of the elevation), indicates that some of the scaffolding is coming down, although there s still a workman on the roof.


Blaylock, S., 2010, Archaeological Observations during Alterations at West Bradfield House, Willand, Devon. 2006-2007 (Report - non-specific). SDV347314.

Building recording carried out during alterations to install a new stair and other facilities showed that although the standing remains of the south range are of 17th century and later date, there was also a medieval predecessor to the 17th century south range that had been bonded to the hall (east) range at its south-west corner. This presumably accommodated a kitchen and service rooms.
The finishes of the plaster surfaces seen at ground floor level in the corridor to the north of the entrance hall and morning room (the "cloister passage") suggest that this area formed part of the interior of the house in the medieval and 17th century phases. This may have taken the form of a pentice, an external corridor or semi-enclosed passage.
See report for full details.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Substantial country house, the seat of the Walrond family from 13th century to 20th century and serving now as a boys' school. The earliest surviving part of the house is the early to mid 16th century hall, probably completed in the reign of Edward VI (nee VIVAT E REX painted on dais end wall). The hall is aligned north/south and was entered through a south-east porch at the screen's passage end, with a retiring room forming a small wing at the north-east, dias end. Between circa 1592 and 1604 (2 datestones) the building underwent a radical transformation although the interior of the hall remained intact. The higher end was adapted to form a cross-wing containing the drawing and dining rooms, with the principal bedrooms above. The service end was transformed (but apparently not completely demolished) in 1861 when Sir John Hayward engaged John Hayward who designed the present entrance front that forms a cross wing to the south of the hall, and added a service block to the west. Hayward retained or repaired much of the early 17th century fenestration of the rest of the building, but (for reasons of structural stability) he replaced the great 8-light east window of the hall with two 4-light windows, and added to the north front (to act as buttresses) 2 large internal lateral stacks. Haywards careful restoration of the hall roof and internal wall decorations was described by him in an article in the Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society. The building is heated by tall axial, end and lateral stacks, is constructed of random rubble limestone with Beerstone dressings, with gable-end dry slate roofs. 2 storeys, with a 3-storey south porch; the house stands on slightly falling ground allowing for a basement to the north side.
Exterior: main (entrance south) front: by Hayward adopting the style of the rest of the house of circa 1600; symmetrical 5 bays; central 3-storey projecting porch; the round-headed entrance arch with keyblocks, Doric columns on moulded plinths with ribbed decorative panels and entablature, appears to be a copy of the original entrance into the south-east hall porch, in situ in 1903-4, but now gone (photographs in Country Homes article cited below). Side bays, separately gabled, with 2-storey bay windows. All windows with ovolo-moulded surrounds, transoms and mullions; all principal angles with moulded cap finials on polygonal buttresses. To the west of this range, but recessed from it, is an informal service block forming an asymmetrical 6-window range, all the functional components variously treated. East front: (the original main front), now symmetrical as a result of Hayward's south cross wing balancing the 17th century north range; these cross wings, together with the 16th century porch and dais end retiring room, are separately gabled; wings with 2-storey bay windows to east; all other windows of 3 or 4 lights, all stone with ovolo-moulded transoms and surrounds, mostly renewed by Hayward. Rear north range: 4 bays, each separately gabled, with dominant internal lateral stacks (by Hayward). The 3- and 4-light ovolo moulded windows are either early 17th century originals or carefully copied replacements. Interior: the 16th century work. Hall, 4 bays, with fine Hammerbeam roof; moulded arched braces, collars and lainposts with pendants, moulded wall plate with cornice; 3 sets of moulded purlins with cusped windbraces and subordinate braces. The roof is one of the finest of its kind in Devon, comparable, stylistically, to that at Weare Gifford. Screen with gallery above; 2 entrances into hall, under paired round- headed arches, divided by fluted pilasters with panels between with double ribbed decorative work. Elaborate armorial reliefs to parapet of gallery. Hall with linenfold panelling with a cornice made up of heads and grotesques with primitif Renaissance detailing. Window reveals with 16th century painted coats of arms (uncovered by Hayward). Dais end wall painted with 2 large standing figures against a foliage background, and the legend VIVAT E REX: the early 17th century work. The drawing room is celebrated for its richly carved panelling, overmantel and internal porch. All this has been covered over for protection and was not visible at the time of the resurvey visit (November 1985). Illustrations and descriptions (see reference) make it clear that this is an interior of the highest importance. The dining room panelling is less elaborate and appears to have been largely restored by Hayward. the 1860's work. Hayward's work in the entrance range includes plaster ceilings in the style of circa 1600, and chimneypieces using detailing and motifs found elsewhere in the building. It is of considerable intrinsic merit.


Gaimster, M., 2011, Post-Medieval Fieldwork in Britain and Northern Ireland in 2010: Devon (Article in Serial). SDV361542.

WILLAND, WEST BRADFIELD HOUSE (ST 0518 0995). S. R. Blaylock undertook historic building recording during alterations to the house. The building was probably constructed in the late 15th or 16th century, with alterations including re-fenestration in the late 16th and early 17th centuries, and alterations in the 1850s (citing Exeter Archaeology Report 10.02).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1862Migrated Record: REED.
SDV25481Migrated Record: FRENCH.
SDV57001Migrated Record: ARCH.J. VOL.30.
SDV57011Migrated Record:
SDV57021Migrated Record:
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV57002Migrated Record: ANON IN TDA.
SDV57012Migrated Record:
SDV57022Migrated Record:
SDV325895Report - Survey: Department of Environment.
SDV57006Migrated Record:
SDV57015Migrated Record:
SDV57025Migrated Record:
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume.
SDV57004Migrated Record:
SDV57013Migrated Record:
SDV57023Migrated Record:
SDV177625Migrated Record:
SDV56993Migrated Record:
SDV57008Migrated Record:
SDV57017Migrated Record:
SDV57005Migrated Record:
SDV57014Migrated Record:
SDV57024Migrated Record:
SDV57000Report - Survey: HAYWARD.
SDV57010Migrated Record:
SDV57020Migrated Record:
SDV56998Migrated Record:
SDV57009Migrated Record:
SDV57018Migrated Record:
SDV347314Report - non-specific: Blaylock, S.. 2010. Archaeological Observations during Alterations at West Bradfield House, Willand, Devon. 2006-2007. Exeter Archaeology Report. 10.02. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV57007Migrated Record:
SDV57016Migrated Record:
SDV57019Migrated Record:
SDV351744Article in Serial: Cox, J.. 2009. Some Early Photographs of Bradfield Manor from the National Monuments Record. Devon Buildings Group Newsletter. 27. A4 Stapled + Digital. Photos.
SDV361542Article in Serial: Gaimster, M.. 2011. Post-Medieval Fieldwork in Britain and Northern Ireland in 2010: Devon. Post-Medieval Archaeology. 45. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV54726Related to: Bradfield House Park and Gardens (Monument)
MDV59214Related to: Bradfield, All Saints (Building)
MDV59213Related to: Formal Gardens east of Bradfield House (Building)
MDV59211Related to: Former Stable Block 100 metres West of Bradfield House, Uffculm (Monument)
MDV59212Related to: LODGE in the Parish of Uffculme (Monument)
MDV74413Related to: The Avenue south of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74414Related to: Tree Clump south of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74415Related to: Tree Clump south of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74416Related to: Tree Clump south of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74417Related to: Tree Clump southeast of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74418Related to: Tree Clump southeast of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74419Related to: Tree Clump southeast of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74420Related to: Tree Clump southeast of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74421Related to: Tree Clump southeast of Bradfield House (Monument)
MDV74422Related to: Tree Clump southeast of Bradfield House (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5088 - Archaeological Observations during Alterations

Date Last Edited:Jul 19 2018 9:41AM