HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV14239
Name:Chapple's Farm and Chapple's Cottage, Fremington


Farmhouse, now two properties. It is probably of 16th century origin but was remodelled and extended in 1663. A dairy wing was added in the 19th century. The name derives, not from a chantry chapel that formerly stood here, but from Roger Chapel, a merchant, who once lived here and renovated the buildings.


Grid Reference:SS 492 320
Map Sheet:SS43SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishFremington
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishFREMINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS43SE/26/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry (Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry). SDV263.

The name derives from St. Katherine's chapel here, demolished 1938.

Ordnance Survey, 1905, 12NE (Cartographic). SDV335644.

Farmhouse shown.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SS43SE11 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV59757.

Site visit 19th October 1953. St Catherine's chapel on the east side of Chapple's farm, was taken down about 1938. The datestone 1663 in east wall of farmhouse dates repairs to the house which is considerably older than 1663. No trace of the building remains on the lawn which now occupies the site. Though evidently old, Chapple's Farm is stucco faced and lacks features of dateable antiquity.

Department of Environment, 1960, Barnstaple RD, 20 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337219.

17th century house, datestone 1663. Inside is a probably 16th century oak partition.

Collins, J. D., 1992, Old and new names in Yelland, 20 (Article in Serial). SDV59762.

The farm was apparently named after the local family not the chapel.

University of Southampton, 2018, North Devon Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment, No. 360 (Interpretation). SDV361978.

Chapple's Farmhouse. Name derives from St Katherine's chapel here, demolished 1938.

Ordnance Survey, 2019, MasterMap 2019 (Cartographic). SDV362729.

Marked as Chapple's Farm and Chapple's Cottage.

Historic England, 2019, National Heritage List for England, 1107646 (National Heritage List for England). SDV362730.

Chapple Farmhouse. Farmhouse. Probably C16 origins, largely remodelled and extended 1663 by datestone. Rendered stone rubble and cob. Slate roof with gable ends. Axial brick stack heating chamber over inner room, brick stack to right (lower) end, stone rubble lateral rear hall stack with tapered cap, heightened in brick, and brick lateral rear stack heating inner room with C19 clay pots, that to right horned with incised foliated decoration. 3-room and through-passage plan with additional room at left end beyond the inner room, probably a C17 addition and may originally have been used for farm storage. C19 gable-ended dairy wing at right angles to rear of lower end forming overall L- shaped plan. 2 storeys. 5-window range. C19/C20 fenestration. 2-light casements to upper storey, 3 with 6 panes per light to right, 3 panes per light to left and C20 window at left end over French windows. Otherwise C19 3-light casements, 6 panes per light to ground floor. 4-panelled door to through-passage doorway, the upper panels glazed. Datestone near to eaves level above R 1663 C. C19 4-light hall casement to rear, 3 panes per light. Interior: a lower end has high fireplace lintel with narrow chamfer and centrally- placed large cloam bread oven to rear of hearth. Beside the fireplace on the left is a former newel staircase replaced in C20 by straight flight of stairs. Behind the stack at first floor level over the bread oven is a narrow bay which may originally have contained a stairway to the former garrets. Chamfered bressumer and 2-cross ceiling beams with hollow step stops to lower end room. Ovolo-moulded straight-headed door surround with scroll-stopped durns between through-passage and lower end. Plank and muntin screen, 7 planks wide, the muntins chamfered and infilled straight-headed doorway between hall/through passage. 4-panelled door to rear of through-passage. The hall ceiling beams and fireplace lintel have been covered over in C20, but an ovolo-moulded door surround with triangular prism over scroll-stopped durns survives between hall and inner room. C17 chamfered door surround to axial partition to inner room, the front passage containing a good C17 staircase with moulded handrail, turned balusters and larger newels with compressed finials. 2 C17 trusses with lap-jointed collars survive over the higher end, otherwise roof structure replaced in C20. The 1663 datestone is set in the band of stone rubble above the original height of cob wall, suggesting that the eaves were heightened and earlier roof structure replaced at the time when the house was remodelled. The house was the home of the Fishley family of potters in the late C19, the chimney pots being a product of their potteries.
Date first listed: 25th February 1965

Don, R., 2020, Heritage Gateway feedback about Monument ID: MDV14239 (Personal Comment). SDV363807.

Chapple's Farm, now two residences, is not named after the chantry chapel that formerly stood in the garden but after Roger Chapple, a merchant who once lived there and renovated the buildings.
The screen now in the farmhouse was originally located in the chapel and was moved into the house during renovations.

Department of Environment, 29/05/1986, Fremington, 1 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV342173.

Chapple farmhouse. Probably 16th century origins, largely remodelled and extended 1663 by datestone. Rendered stone rubble and cob. Slate roof with gable ends. Stacks. A 3-room and through passage plan with additional room probably a 17th century addition, possibly used originally for farm storage. A 19th century gable-ended dairy wing forms overall L-shaped plan. Two storeys. Five window range. Casements. Four panelled door. Other interior features include: a cloam oven, ovolo moulded straight headed doorway, good 17th century staircase, two 17th century trusses, chimney pots of the late 19th century from the fishley family potteries, a 17th century chamfered door and plank and muntin screen.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV263Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry: Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry.
SDV335644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 12NE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV337219List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Barnstaple RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 20.
SDV342173List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 29/05/1986. Fremington. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 1.
SDV361978Interpretation: University of Southampton. 2018. North Devon Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. RCZAS. Digital. No. 360.
SDV362729Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2019. MasterMap 2019. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV362730National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2019. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1107646.
SDV363807Personal Comment: Don, R.. 2020. Heritage Gateway feedback about Monument ID: MDV14239. Not Applicable.
SDV59757Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SS43SE11. OSAD Card. Card Index.
SDV59762Article in Serial: Collins, J. D.. 1992. Old and new names in Yelland. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. Unknown. 20.

Associated Monuments

MDV11881Related to: St Catherine's Chapel, Fremington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Aug 21 2020 3:19PM