HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV14254
Name:All Saints Chapel, Bideford Bridge


the site of the Chapel of All Saints at western end of Bideford Bridge. The chapel was built circa 1280 and demolished some time after 1835.


Grid Reference:SS 454 264
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/11/3
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS42NE 16

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Built, XIII - 1201 AD to 1300 AD (Between))

Full description

Chope, R. P., 1922 - 1923, Old Bideford Bridge, 240 (Article in Serial). SDV18895.

Referred to as the Chapel of All Saints by the Pope in 1459.

Chope, R. P., 1924 - 1925, Old Bideford Bridge, 61-62 (Article in Serial). SDV18915.

Henderson, C. + Jervoise, E., 1938, Old Devon Bridges, 93 (Monograph). SDV2296.

Whiting, F. E., 1948, Bideford Bridge, 127-136; Plate 9. (Article in Serial). SDV18901.

The Chapel of All Saints or Allhallows, from which Allhallands Street gets its name. Built in the Early English to Decorated period of Gothic architecture, it had a small bell over the centre of the main roof which was mentioned in an inventory of church bells made in 1553.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953 - 1977, SS42NE16 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV340759.

Circa 1280 Chapel of All Saints (site of)
1. Bideford Bridge had a chapel of All Saints at its western end; shown on the Old Bridge Seal which was in use in 1474, and mentioned in a document of 1459. It was demolished sometime after 1835
2. Visited 10th December 1953. No visible traceof the chapel remains. The area is occupied by modern buildings and roadways.

Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 90 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

A chapel was situated at each end of Bideford Bridge. A papal letter of 1459 refers to them as St. Mary's chapel and All Saint's chapel. No trace of the buildings remains today.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV18895Article in Serial: Chope, R. P.. 1922 - 1923. Old Bideford Bridge. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. Unknown. 240.
SDV18901Article in Serial: Whiting, F. E.. 1948. Bideford Bridge. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 80. A5 Hardback. 127-136; Plate 9..
SDV18915Article in Serial: Chope, R. P.. 1924 - 1925. Old Bideford Bridge. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 13. Unknown. 61-62.
SDV2296Monograph: Henderson, C. + Jervoise, E.. 1938. Old Devon Bridges. Old Devon Bridges. Unknown. 93.
SDV340759Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953 - 1977. SS42NE16. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 90.

Associated Monuments

MDV497Related to: Long Bridge, Bideford (Building)
MDV14255Related to: St Mary's Chapel, Bideford Bridge (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4517 - Archaeological Appraisal of River Torridge Pipeline Routes, Bideford, Devon

Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2015 10:21AM