HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV1431
Name:St Andrew's Parish Church, Clyst Honiton


St Andrew's parish church in Clyst Honiton was built in the 15th century with a 19th century renovation


Grid Reference:ST 035 016
Map Sheet:ST00SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishClyst Hydon
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCLYST HYDON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5012
  • National Monuments Record: 898930
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST00SW/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 86777
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: ST00SW12

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIV to XIX - 1400 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 371 (Monograph). SDV17562.

St Andrew's church built in the 15th century, much altered during restoration, north aisle added in 1855.

Department of Environment, 1988, Clyst Hydon (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV345579.

Parish church. 15th century, renovated 1885-86 with new north aisle. The 15th century work is coursed blocks of volcanic trap with red sandstone and has beerstone ashlar detail; the 1885-6 work is snecked red sandstone with bathstone ashlar detail; slate roof. Nave and chancel with north and south aisles (neither are quite full length), south porch and west tower. Other details: Provisional List.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 270 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Griffith, F. M., 1991, DAP/UK, 5,6 (Aerial Photograph). SDV345610.

National Monuments Record, 2010, 898930 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV345609.

A 15th century church. Other details: ST00SW12.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Church of St Andrew in Clyst Hydon was Listed on 30th June 1961. Parish church. Built in the 15th century, renovated 1885 - 86 with new north aisle. The 15th century work is coursed blocks of volcanic trap with some red sandstone and has Beerstone ashlar detail; the 1885- 6 work is snecked red sandstone with Bathstone ashlar detail; slate roof. Plan: nave and chancel with north and south aisles (neither are quite full length), south porch and west tower. Exterior: west tower of two stages with set-back buttresses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. On the north side is a semi-hexagonal stair turret with an external doorway. The belfry windows have Flamboyant tracery; they are very weathered and therefore maybe 15th century. The tower west doorway is a two-centred arch with moulded surround and hoodmould. The window above is missing its tracery and mullions. The south aisle is 15th century; it has set-back buttresses and an embattled parapet over a moulded eaves cornice which includes carved gargoyles at intervals. The south porch is left of centre. It too has set back-buttresses and an embattled parapet but here the merlins are pierced by quatrefoils. The outer arch is a depressed four-centred arch with a moulded surround and hood which includes a carved angel holding armorial bearings at the apex. The porch roof is a Beerstone fan vault with cusped panels and central carved boss featuring a Tudor Rose. The south doorway is a two-centred arch with moulded surround and contains 19th century double doors in Gothic style. There are four windows on the south side; one to left of the porch and three to right. All are three lights and have depressed 4-centred arch heads and contain Perpendicular tracery and there are similar three-light windows each end. The break between nave and chancel (or aisle and south chapel) is marked by a projecting semi-octagonal rood stair turret which rises above the aisle parapet and has its own embattled parapet. Alongside to right is a small priest's doorway. The chancel east window was rebuilt in the 19th century; it is three lights with flamboyant tracery and hoodmould. The 19th century north aisle has four-light windows with flamboyant tracery each end and on the north side three three-light windows with cusped 'Y' tracery. Interior: the nave, north and south aisles, chancel and tower have ceiled wagon roofs with moulded ribs and purlins and carved oak bosses. All are painted and therefore it is not possible to determine if any is 15th century; certainly the north aisle and tower roofs are 19th century. Tall plain tower arch. 19th century chancel arch has a moulded surround springing from moulded land carved corbels. The south aisle has a 15th century Beerstone four-bay arcade (one overlapping the chancel). The piers are moulded Pevsners's Type A) and have carved capitals. The north aisle has a 19th century five-bay arcade (with two overlapping the chancel) in the same style as the south arcade. In the south aisle there is a small Beerstone doorway with a segmental head and moulded surround to the rood stair which is still open. The walls are plastered and the floor is stone flags including some 18th century grave slabs. Most of the furniture and fittings are 19th century. The altar is flanked by Gothic style boards painted with the text of the Lords Prayer. 19th century oak altar rail on wrought
iron standards. No stalls as such. The plain pine lectern is probably 20th century. 19th century oak pulpit with octagonal drum with Gothic style enrichment. The nave and aisles have oak box pews, the best made (or remade) with fielded panelling. It is an interesting sociological point that the pulpit can only be gained through the squire's (or Huish family) pew. The Beerstone font is of indeterminate date but is probably 19th century. It has an unembellished octagonal bowl on a plain octagonal stem. The ogee oak font cover is 17th century. The chancel contains a good group of marble mural memorials mostly in memory of members of the Huish family. The oldest is dated 1633 and the best is on the north side and dated 1764. The south aisle has painted Commandment boards. The nave and aisles contain 19th century wrought iron lamp brackets. There is some good 19th century glass here. The East window is signed E Baillie, London, 1850, and instead of the usual Biblical scene it has the Huish arms. The glass is particularly impressive in the mouchettes of the flamboyant tracery. Other details: LBS Number 86777.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 371.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 270.
SDV345579List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Clyst Hydon. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV345609National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 898930. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV345610Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1991. DAP/UK. Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 5,6.

Associated Monuments

MDV106628Parent of: War Memorial Tablet in St Andrew's Church, Clyst Hydon (Monument)
MDV1432Related to: Cross in Clyst Hydon Churchyard (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 9:25AM