HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV14339
Name:New House and Barn End, Christow

Summary

Former farmhouse, divided into two. Probably circa early 16th century origins, remodelled in the circa early 17th century, rear wing added circa mid/late 17th century, house divided into two in the late 20th century when the barn at the right end was converted to domestic use forming part of Barne End. Unusual plan. A through passage plan, originally an open hall, lower end to the right, hall stack backing onto passage but with two rooms at the left end of the hall: first, a narrow unheated room and then a heated room at the extreme left end which appears to have been designed as a parlour but actually utilized as a service room at one time (drain in floor uncovered during renovations).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 835 849
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChristow
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCHRISTOW

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX88SW/46
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS PASSAGE HOUSE (Built, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1550 AD (Between))
  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1550 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1949, St. Thomas Rd, 30 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336476.

Listed as farmhouse on south-east corner of lane to mill. 17th century or earlier. T-shaped. Good barn attached on right side.
Interior contains passage, old door frame and panelling to which is attached a high seat which was clearly the seat at the high table.


Alcock, N. W. + Laithwaite, M., 1973, Medieval houses in Devon and Their Modernisation, 116-117 (Article in Serial). SDV25027.

Newhouse, Christow. Probably a very late Medieval building (early 16th century), originally of three room plan with cross passage, and an open hearth in the hall which was retained for only a short time. The chamber over the inner room which is jettied into the hall is also an original feature. The third room and cross passage now form a separate house.


Alcock, N. W., 1981, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue, 109 (Report - non-specific). SDV342504.

Jointed cruck recorded.


Department of Environment, 1988, Christow, 72 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV308409.

Former farmhouse, divided into two. Probably circa early 16th century origins, remodelled in the circa early 17th century, rear wing added circa mid/late 17th century, house divided into two in the late 20th century when the barn at the right end was converted to domestic use forming part of Barne End. Whitewashed rendered cob and stone; slate roof, gabled at left end, hipped at right end over former barn; left end axial granite stacks with granite shafts and tapered caps to main block, similar end stack to wing, rendered shaft to axial stack right of centre.
Plan: unusual. A through passage plan, originally an open hall, lower end to the right, hall stack backing onto passage but with two rooms at the left end of the hall: first, a narrow unheated room and then a heated room at the extreme left end which appears to have been designed as a parlour but actually utilized as a service room at one time (drain in floor uncovered during renovations). A rear wing at right angles to the hall gives an overall T-plan, former newel stair adjacent to stack of rear wing. The origins of the house are an open hall arrangement, but with only limited access to the roof timbers the extent of the original building and sequence of flooring is not entirely clear: there is a higher end jetty in the hall which must have remained open to the roof when the higher end was floored. The rear wing was probably added in the mid/late 17th century. A probably 19th century straight stair has been inserted between the rear wing and the main block. The passage, lower end and an adjoining barn is now a separate dwelling - Barne End.
Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical 3:2 window front, new house to the left with a 20th century front door in the centre into the narrow unheated room to the left of the hall. 20th century lean-to porch to left of Barne End into former passage. Three-light late 19th or 20th century timber casements with glazing bars. The converted barn at right end has a 20th century door at the extreme right and 20th century casements with glazing bars.
Interior: of considerable interest. The hall (in New House) has an open fireplace with granite lintel and jambs, relieving arch over lintel; chamfered, step-stopped axial beam. Plank and muntin screen at higher end with jetty over, the muntins chamfered and stopped off at hall bench level with the bench end surviving. Rare survival of probably 17th century painted decoration on screen, bench end and jetty beam including flowers and abstract patterns. The room at the extreme left end of the range has an open fireplace with granite chamfered jambs and a mutilated timber lintel with runout stops; chamfered crossbeam with scroll stops. This room is said to have formerly had an open drain, the small adjacent room was formerly cobbled. The ground floor room of the rear wing has the remains of an open fireplace with a granite lintel and chamfered stopped cross beam. First floor room left has a small 17th century fireplace with granite jambs and an ovolo-moulded timber lintel. A closed partition rises above the jetty at the higher end of the hall. The passage, in Barne End has a good doorway at the front. The granite ashlar back of the hall stack is exposed in the passage, the rest of the partition made up of a plank and muntin screen with a doorway (blocked) with a cambered lintel formerly leading into the hall. The lower end room has a chamfered crossbeam and open fireplace with a timber lintel.
Roof: not accessible throughout but a lightly smoke-blackened pegged jointed cruck over the hall has a diagonally-set ridge and sooted rafters; a closed truss over the passage (in Barne End) is lightly sooted on the hall side. An important medieval house with an unusual plan farm.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Building is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1318044 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

CHRISTOW CHRISTOW SX 88 SW 5/96 New House and Barne End 30.6.61 GV II* Former farmhouse, divided into 2. Probably circa early C16 origins, remodelled in the circa early C17, rear wing added circa aid/late C17, house divided into 2 in the late C20 when the barn at the right end was converted to domestic use forming part of Barne End. Whitewashed rendered cob and stone ; slate roof, gabled at left end, hipped at right end over former barn ; left end and axial granite stacks with granite shafts and tapered caps to main block, similar end stack to wing, rendered shaft to axial stack right of centre.
Plan: Unusual. A through passage plan, originally an open hall, lower end to the right, hall stack backing on to passage but with 2 rooms at the left end of the hall: first, a narrow unheated room and then a heated room at the extreme left end which appears to have been designed as a parlour but actually utilized as a service room at one time (drain in floor uncovered during renovations). A rear wing at right angles to the hall gives an overall T plan, former newel stair adjacent to stack of rear wing. The origins of the house are an open hall arrangement, but with only limited access to the roof timbers the extent of the original building and sequence of flooring is not entirely clear: there is a higher end jetty in the hall which must have remained open to the roof when the higher end was floored. The rear wing was probably added in the mid/late C17. A probably C19 straight stair has been inserted between the rear wing and main block. The passage, lower end and an adjoining barn is now a separate dwelling (Barne End).
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3:2 window front, Newhouse to the left with a C20 front door in the centre into the narrow unheated room to the left of the hall. C20 lean-to porch to left of Barne End into former passage. 3-light late C19 or C20 timber casements with glazing bars. The converted barn at the right end has a C20 door at the extreme right and C20 casements with glazing bars.
Interior: Of considerable interest. The hall (in New House) has an open fireplace with granite lintel and jambs, relieving arch over lintel; chamfered, step-stopped axial beam. Plank and muntin screen at higher end with jetty over, the muntins chamfered and stopped off at hall bench level with the bench end surviving. Rare survival of probably C17 painted decoration on screen, bench end and jetty beam including flowers and abstract patterns. The room at the extreme left end of the range has an open fireplace with granite chamfered jambs and a mutilated timber lintel with runout stops ; chamfered crossbeam with scroll stops. This room is said to have formerly had an open drain, the small adjacent room was formerly cobbled. The ground floor room of the rear wing has the remains of an open fireplace with a granite lintel and chamfered stopped cross beam. First floor room left has a small C17 fireplace with granite jambs and an ovolo-moulded timber lintel. A closed partition rises above the jetty at the higher end of the hall. The passage, in Barne End has a good doorway at the front. The granite ashlar back of the hall stack is exposed in the passage, the rest of the partition made up of a plank and muntin screen with a doorway (blocked) with a cambered lintel formerly leading into the hall. The lower end room has a chamfered crossbeam and open fireplace with a timber lintel.
Roof: Not accessible throughout but a lightly smoke-blackened pegged jointed cruck over the hall has a diagonally-set ridge and sooted rafters; a closed truss over the passage (in Barne End) is lightly sooted on the hall side. An important medieval house with an unusual plan farm.
Listing NGR: SX8352284969

Sources / Further Reading

SDV25027Article in Serial: Alcock, N. W. + Laithwaite, M.. 1973. Medieval houses in Devon and Their Modernisation. Medieval Archaeology. 17. Digital. 116-117.
SDV308409List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Christow. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 72.
SDV336476List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1949. St. Thomas Rd. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 30.
SDV342504Report - non-specific: Alcock, N. W.. 1981. Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue. Council for British Archaeology Research Report. 42. Photocopy. 109.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #81229 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1318044.

Associated Monuments

MDV77374Part of: Newhouse farmstead, Christow (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 21 2017 3:30PM