HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV14465
Name:Site of limekiln, Calvados Park, Kingsteignton


Site of former limekiln. The limekiln, shown on the Tithe Map, was originally located on the western side of a former quarry and latterly stood in the garden of a modern dwelling. It was demolished in 1997.


Grid Reference:SX 878 734
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKingsteignton
Ecclesiastical ParishKINGSTEIGNTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/83

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LIME KILN (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Limekiln marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map just within entrance to a quarry.

Gallant, L., 1977, Archaeology along the Route of the Newton Abbot and Kingsteignton By-pass, 61 (Article in Serial). SDV344261.

Lime kiln at west end of garden of modern dwelling house. Other details: Figure 1.

Manning, P. T., 1997, Archaeological Recording of Limekiln at Calvados Park, Kingsteignton (Report - Survey). SDV349142.

Recorded by Exeter Archaeology in 1997 prior to demolition. There has been a limekiln here (possibly same structure) since 1840. The Tithe Map shows a building here on the western edge of a quarry. By 1889 the quarry had enlarged and the building is shown as a limekiln. The 1966 1:2500 map shows the quarry but not limekiln - perhaps suggesting that it was ruined by this time. Additional buildings are shown to to the north-west and north of the kiln and to the east of the quarry.
The limekiln is a single draw-hole structure of mortared roughly-coursed local stone. The south wall, in which was an arched draw-hole recess, is 9.55 metres wide and survives to 3.7 metres above the existing ground level. However, the ground had been banked up against the wall, partly blocking access arch, so the full height could not be ascertained. Draw-hole recess has a domed interior, also of mortared stone. In the stonework at the back of the recess, circa 0.50 metres above the (raised) interior ground level, is a horizontal line of bricks, end on, with an area of stonework missing immediately above and below. There also appears to be two similar courses of bricks below this, near to floor level. This may have represented the remains of the draw-hole or stoke-hole. On the south wall, immediately to either side of the draw-hole archway and at the same height towards the west corner of the building, are three roughly cylindrical openings 0.17-0.23 metres diameter, presumably extending to the inside of the combustion chamber. A similar opening was located higher up on the east side. There may have been further such holes on the east side of wall, obscured by the bank of soil. These may have been draught holes (drawing eyes). The west wall survives to 2.80 metres (exterior) high and 6.50 metres long, with no noticeable features. No traces of east or north wall survive. The area north of the south wall, both above and beyond draw-hole access chamber, was raised. The ground level was 0.9 metres below top of wall. The top of the pot, which was not visible but may have survived infilled below ground level, would presumably have been at or near this level. The bank of soil which partly obscured the west end of the south wall may have been the ramp for access to top of kiln. However, ground disturbance made this impossible to determine and it may be that it was the result of later dumping.

Pink, F., 2014, Devon Extensive Urban Survey Project. Rapid Assessment of Archaeological Interventions, 16 (Report - non-specific). SDV357343.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #81264 ]
SDV344261Article in Serial: Gallant, L.. 1977. Archaeology along the Route of the Newton Abbot and Kingsteignton By-pass. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 35. Paperback Volume. 61.
SDV349142Report - Survey: Manning, P. T.. 1997. Archaeological Recording of Limekiln at Calvados Park, Kingsteignton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 97.19. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV357343Report - non-specific: Pink, F.. 2014. Devon Extensive Urban Survey Project. Rapid Assessment of Archaeological Interventions. AC Archaeology Report. ACD473/1/1. Digital. 16.

Associated Monuments

MDV81211Related to: Quarry to north-east of Ware Cross, Kingsteignton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Nov 13 2014 2:51PM