HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1486
Name:St Andrew's Parish Church, Halberton

Summary

Parish church mostly dating from the 15th century but with some earlier fabric and restored in the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 005 128
Map Sheet:ST01SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHalberton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHALBERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4930
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST01SW/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR, ST01SW 14 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV339471.


Bligh Bond, F., 1902, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts, Plate 4 (Article in Serial). SDV15462.


Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II, 460-461 (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

Oak rood screen at St Andrew's parish church in Halberton. Tracery of an earlier and plain variety. Date said to be 1420. Groining perfect. Moulding of cornices remain, have lost their enrichments. Restoration in 1866. South parclose, decorated appearance, earlier than rood screen. North parclose, different design and later than south screen.


Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 460,473,486 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.


Chanter, J. G., 1919, Proceedings at the 58th Annual Meeting, 36 (Article in Serial). SDV339469.

St. Andrew's Parish Church. Pulpit dated 1430, font about 1180. Screen has two doors, which are now in the vestry.


Clarke, K. M., 1920, The Baptismal Fonts of Devon, Part 7, 331-332 (Article in Serial). SDV320749.

Scalloped bowl font: freestone. Three cones on each side, separated by darts. Necking of half-round moulding; cylindrical shaft, circular base, square plinth, on a modern limestone platform. Eastern face of the plinth has traces of incised diamond pattern. Unlined bowl.


Cresswell, B. F., 1927, Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders, 159 (Article in Serial). SDV124362.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 174 (Monograph). SDV336217.

Most of the church is early 15th century, though western parts of the nave are 14th century. Red sandstone used. Font, rood screen and pulpit also described.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 403 (Monograph). SDV17562.


Department of Environment, 1986, Halberton, 122-3 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV43576.

Parish church of St Andrew. Largely 15th century although the chancel probably incorporates earlier fabric, and the font is Norman;; two storey vestry 16th century; the church was extensively restored and partially rebuilt in 1847-8 by John Hayward; chancel restored, 1887. Coursed rubble sandstone with Portland stone dressings; Beer stone detailing internally. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north vestry set transeptally, chancel, sanctuary. West tower, two stages, plinth, battlements with corner pinnacles.
See listing description for full details.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 466 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Dyer, M., 1998, Archaeological Observtion at St Andrew's Church, Halberton (Report - Watching Brief). SDV339470.

Archaeological watching brief carried out during groundworks in the churchyard for a new storm-water drainage system. The main elements of the system were four soakaway pits and two shallow drain trenches. The wall footings representing the south-east corner of a demolished structure were revealed in Pit 1, possibly a former south transept of the church. The planned site for Pit 2 was aborted due to a subterranean burial vault. Fragments of two 18th century tombstones were recovered from the soakaway trench dug in its stead. Another subterranean burial vault was discovered during resurfacing works on the pathway to the porch. Articulated skeletons and disarticulated human bones found in the pits were removed for reburial.


Wakeham, C., 2007, Watching Brief during Service Trenching in Lanes around St Andrew's Church, Halberton (Report - Watching Brief). SDV339473.

Trenching for a new water main in Halberton in 2007 included pits and trenches around the churchyard. A stone layer was exposed suggesting 19th or 20th century levelling and artefacts included 18th to 19th century pottery and clay pipes.


Historic England, 2019, National Heritage List for England, 1306759 (National Heritage List for England). SDV362730.

Parish Church of St Andrew. Largely C15 although the chancel probably incorporates earlier fabric, and the font is Norman; 2-storey vestry C16; the church was extensively restored and partially rebuilt in 1847-8 by John Hayward; chancel restored, 1887. Coursed rubble sandstone with Portland stone dressing; Beer stone detailing internally. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north vestry set transeptally, chancel, sanctuary. Exterior: west tower, 2 stages, plinth, battlements with corner pinnacles; diagonal buttresses to north west and south west only; polygonal stair turret to north rises to full height of tower and is separately battlemented; Perpendicular pierced belfry openings of 3-lights (north, only of 2). Large clocks below to south, west, and east, one dated 1861. Lower stage with single-light window to south, 4-light west window, Perpendicular, with concave moulding bearing fleurons; contemporary west doorway with concave moulding. South side: 4-window bays with porch and polygonal rood screen/aisle roof access stair turret, the whole front battlemented; all south aisle windows, including west and east, Perpendicular, of 3-lights, and largely C19 (i.e. probably 1847-8), with hood moulds and head terminals. Moulded priest's doorway stands immediately east of stair turret. Porch, gable battlemented, with heraldic panel above outer entrance, looks largely C19; inner south doorway with concave moulding bearing fleurons, and ogee-headed canopied niche above; gargoyles to this side look medieval. North side: 4 window bay to north aisle; these and those to east and west, of 3- lights, Perpendicular, the west window, patched but largely original; all with hood moulds and head terminals; substantial 2-storey vestry (unbattlemented) with 2-light square-headed window to north (first floor) and east (ground floor), the latter with its stanchions and saddle bars intact. Chancel windows all C19, but that to the north replaced in the awkward cramped position of the original which suggests that the chancel considerably earlier than the aisles. 4-light east window, Perpendicular with transom. East end with gable parapet, unbattlemented. All angles unbuttressed. Interior: arcades of 5 bays with no structural division between nave and chancel; the 3 easternmost bays (1 to nave, 2 to chancel) with taller piers, the break marked awkwardly with half capitals at different levels; pier sections octagonal, all on identical square bases with pyramid stops. The change in pier height might reflect a change in the medieval design, but the Gentleman's Magazine (June 1849) remarks that the whole church was new 'with the exception of the 4 walls, .... the piers and arches ... rebuilt', but presumably using some old materials. Double chamfered arches look earlier than the conventional C15 standard type; capitals simply moulded, with fleurons. Unadorned tower arch; open wagon roof to nave and chancel, of 1847-8, could retain earlier timber, with a large principal above the nave- chancel division resting on stone corbel heads. Flat plain boarded ceilings to aisles. Ogee-headed, cusped piscina to sanctuary, south wall. Furnishings and fittings Font: Norman scalloped bowl font, 3 cones to each side with intersection dart; roll moulding to neck; cylindrical shaft; circular base. C19 plinth. Pulpit: an exceptional piece; the detailing looks C14 rather than C15 (especially the nodding ogee canopies); wooden, carefully repaired but largely intact with C19 open stair. Polygonal; 5 decorated panels, all of 2 tiers depressed between angle fin muntins; upper tier with nodding ogee canopies, finials and pinnacles; lower tier with square-headed panels, each of 2-lights, the tracery with roundels and ogee forms; central rail and inner faces of fin muntins adorned with knobs of foliage; base battlemented, with more foliage below. Stone plinth. Screens: (1) rood screen: 11 bays with groined coving intact on both sides; each bay with open tracery, Perpendicular, not of the conventional Devon type, but with a heavy central mullion, wainscotting to similar design; muntins with roll moulding and big moulded bases; moulded cornice survives. According to Bligh Bond, circa 1420, carefully repaired 1866. (2) south parclose, 3 bays, of 2-lights, much cusping, cornice of heavy vine leaf trails, battlementing; Bligh Bond considers that it pre-dates the rood screen. Later in date is (3) north parclose, 3 bays of 2-lights, similar to (2) but with much more knobbly cusping, and a lighter vine trail cornice, more in the normal Devon mould. Note that the main screen has short connecting links to the piers immediately east; the parclose screens extend eastwards of these piers. Another stretch (2 bays) of the rood screen was removed to beneath the tower arch in 1924. Rood loft entered through 2 studded doors which look medieval, that to the south with elaborate floriated hinge. Another medieval door to vestry. Monuments: south chancel aisle, south wall, Humphrey Were, d. 1625, much damaged, the architrave missing, but armorial bearings and inscription panel of good quality. 2 C17 tomb slates immediately west of screen, dated 1617 and 1621 respectively. North aisle, north wall, to Richard Clark, d. 1728, cartouche with cherubs and shield. South aisle, south wall, to Joan Pullin, d. 1774, slate memorial inscription set in stone architrave-with entablature. North aisle, north wall, to John and Cecilia Chave, 1807, weeping woman and urn. C19 decorative work. Traces of saltire motifs of north aisles, north wall. Fine, complex tiling scheme to sanctuary. Pierced brass candle-holder panels to each side of sanctuary, along with 2 wall lamp holders, all of circa 1847-8. Glass: 4, possibly C17, figures leaded into west window. North aisle (in III) Ascension by Lavers and Westlake, 1894. East window, not dated, with scenes from the life of Christ.
Date first listed: 5th April 1966

Sources / Further Reading

SDV124362Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1927. Devonshire Churches: The Buildings and Builders. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 33. Unknown. 159.
SDV15387Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 460,473,486.
SDV15462Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1902. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 34. Unknown. Plate 4.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 403.
SDV320749Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1920. The Baptismal Fonts of Devon, Part 7. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 52. A5 Hardback. 331-332.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 466.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 174.
SDV339469Article in Serial: Chanter, J. G.. 1919. Proceedings at the 58th Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 51. A5 Hardback. 36.
SDV339470Report - Watching Brief: Dyer, M.. 1998. Archaeological Observtion at St Andrew's Church, Halberton. Exeter Archaeology Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
Linked documents:1
SDV339471National Monuments Record Database: NMR. ST01SW 14. NMR Index. Card Index.
SDV339473Report - Watching Brief: Wakeham, C.. 2007. Watching Brief during Service Trenching in Lanes around St Andrew's Church, Halberton. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 5871. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV362730National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2019. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1306759.
SDV43576List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Halberton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 122-3.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital. 460-461.

Associated Monuments

MDV126026Parent of: Wall footings to south of St Andrew's Church, Halberton (Building)
MDV4579Parent of: Were tombstone in St Andrew's Parish Church, Halberton (Monument)
MDV126029Related to: Burial vault in St Andrew's Churchyard, Halberton (Monument)
MDV126030Related to: Burial vault in St Andrew's Churchyard, Halberton (Monument)
MDV13724Related to: St Andrew's Parish Church, Chapel (Monument)
MDV73964Related to: St Andrew's Parish Church, Chest Tomb (Building)
MDV73965Related to: St Andrew's Parish Church, Chest Tomb (Building)
MDV1487Related to: St Andrew's Parish Church, Palm Cross (Monument)
MDV73966Related to: St Andrew's Parish Church, Railings and Wall (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4304 - Service Trenching around St Andrew's Parish Church
  • EDV8117 - Watching brief at Halberton Church

Date Last Edited:Jul 11 2019 12:08PM