HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV14990
Name:St. John the Baptist and the Seven Maccabees, Cookbury

Summary

Norman church, remodelled in 14th century, with 16th century addition. The church preserves Norman fabric. Escaped extensive 19th century restoration.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 407 060
Map Sheet:SS40NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCookbury
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCOOKBURY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5061
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS40NW/25
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 91589

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR, SS40NW18 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV18064.


Unknown, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV18066.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 77-78 (Monograph). SDV336196.

Nearly all of Norman church survives. Only north aisle arcade is perpendicular renewal. Church fittings mentioned including jacobean pulpit, bench-ends, screen, barnstaple tiles and church plate.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 375 (Monograph). SDV17562.

The parish church of St. John the Baptist and the Seven Maccabees, Cookbury. 13th century nave and chancel, a small north aisle of about 1500 which replaced 14th century aisle of which traces remain, and small south transept of early 16th century. Floor of late medieval tiles in chancel and ancient benches in nave.


Keen, L., 1969, A Series of Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Lead-Glazed Relief Tiles from North Devon, 144-170 (Article in Serial). SDV15342.

Relief tiles from North Devon potteries on floor of chancel. Post-medieval . Other details: Figs., Plates.


Department of Environment, 1982, Torridge District (formerly Holsworthy RD) Amendment (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV18061.

Further details of the building given.


Mildren, J., 1983, Untitled Source, 6 (Article in Serial). SDV18056.

Declared redundant in 1982 and featured in recent save report on 'deserted sepulchres'.


Department of Environment, 1988, Cookbury. Provisional List (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV18057.

Parish church. Norman origins remodelled in 14th century, probably circa 1315 when dedicated by Bishop Stapledon, with 16th century addition. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended asbestos slate roof. The church preserves Norman fabric but the dedication date of 1315 suggests it was extensively remodelled then. It was originally cruciform, a north aisle was added in the early 16th century. The church has escaped extensive 19th century restoration. See List for full details.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 287 (Monograph). SDV325629.


English Heritage, 2009, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV343599.

Church of St John the Baptist and the Seven Maccabees.
Parish church. Norman origins remodelled in 14th century, probably circa 1315 when dedicated by Bishop Stapledon, with 16th century addition. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended asbestos slate roof.
Plan: the church undoubtedly preserves Norman fabric but the dedication date of 1315 suggests it was extensively remodelledthen. It was originally cruciform - consecrated with 3 altars - and the only alteration to this plan was the addition of a nortn aisle probably in the early 16th century. The west tower is of an early form and, with the south porch may also date from the early 14th century. A puzzling feature at the west end however is the way the narrow tower has a small addition to north and south both of which are closed towards the nave - almost resembling a dwarfed west transept. The church has escaped extensive 19th century restoration.
Exterior: very low narrow unbuttressed west tower with pyramidal roof. It is almost enveloped to north and south by extensions to the nave. No west doorway. Fifteenth century 2-light west window with 4-centred heads and hoodmould. Tall 4-centred lancet of circa 1300 on north side of nave towards west end. The north aisle does not extend as far as the west end. It has a 3-light straight-headed granite mullion window in its west wall and 2 on its north face. Granite north doorway with a very depressed 4-centred head and roll and fillet mouldings, recessed spandrels and hoodmould. 2-light mullion window at east end of aisle. Very small C19 lean-to vestry against end of aisle with single chamfered light and shallow arched doorway. Chancel has tall lancet with 4-centred head on north wall. East window is circa 1300, 3-light with trefoiled heads; 2 more lancet lights on south wall of chancel - that to the
east has a square head and has probably been altered. South transept has 15th century 2-light trefoiled-head window on its east side. Probably restored 15th century style 2-light window to south. South wall of nave has 2 4-centred head lancets to either side of 14th century gabled porch with coping stones and pointed arch chamfered doorway.
Interior: porch roof has been restored. 14th century south doorway, chamfered with 2-centred arch. Internal walls have 20th century plaster apart from transept and west wall where the stonework is exposed. 3 bay north arcade of which the two westward arches
are Perpendicular with Pevsner A-type piers, moulded capitals and 4-centred arches. The easternmost arch is 14th century and was the former north transept arch - it is very pointed with different moulding and a semi-hexagonal respond to the east against the wall. No chancel arch. South transept has pointed rubble arch with hagioscope.
Tall 4-centred dressed stone tower arch. Windows to nave and chancel have pointed chamfered rear arches.
Over the nave, chancel and transept the roofs has been renewed in late 19th century or early 20th century with arch-braced form. Over the north aisle is an older arch-braced roof probably 16th century. The altar and lectern probably incorporate parts of the carved rood
screen which has been replaced by a late 19th century or early 20th century one. The pulpit incorporates 17th century carving to panels which appear to have been reused. The old benches survive which in the nave and aisle are plain apart from one at the rear which has a carved end. In the transept one bench has worn carved ends with a panelled and richly carved front with arcading and Renaissance designs - apparently this was known as the Dursland pew. Square 13th century font with moulding around the bottom standing on renewed central stem with 4 outer pillars on original square moulded base. The chancel floor consists of medieval Barnstaple tiles.
Although this is a fairly simple church its importance lies in its early date and relatively unaltered state. Other details: LBS no 91589.


Wapshott, E. + Morris, B., 2013, Land at Bishops Farm, Cookbury Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment, Geophysical Survey, Archaeological Evaluation Trenching, Walkover Survey & Visual Impact Assessment (Report - non-specific). SDV351407.

Cookbury (3km) and Thornbury (4.75km) churches enjoy some element of local blocking that limits intervisibility. However, these churches are far closer and the turbine would intrude on their wider landscape setting. Both churches stand within their associated historic settlements, and they are to be understood in the context of their parish and the wider agricultural community with its dispersed settlement pattern. This would not be affected by the turbine; however, an assessment of negative/moderate should be applied given the impact of a turbine in an area where they constitute the key man-made features.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15342Article in Serial: Keen, L.. 1969. A Series of Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Lead-Glazed Relief Tiles from North Devon. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. 32. Photocopy + Digital. 144-170.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 375.
SDV18056Article in Serial: Mildren, J.. 1983. Western Morning News. Unknown. 6.
SDV18057List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Cookbury. Provisional List. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.
SDV18061List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1982. Torridge District (formerly Holsworthy RD) Amendment. Amendment to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interes. Unknown.
SDV18064National Monuments Record Database: NMR. SS40NW18. NMR Index. Digital.
SDV18066Photograph: Unknown. Photograph in NMR. Photograph (Paper).
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 287.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 77-78.
SDV343599List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2009. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV351407Report - non-specific: Wapshott, E. + Morris, B.. 2013. Land at Bishops Farm, Cookbury Devon. Results of a Desk-Based Assessment, Geophysical Survey, Archaeological Evaluation Trenching, Walkover Survey & Visual Impact Assessment. Southwest Archaeology Report. 130930. A4 Unbound + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV73417Related to: Stapeldon, Cookbury (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 12:27PM