HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV15005
Name:Widhayes Farmhouse, Uplowman

Summary

A 16th-17th century farmhouse which was extensively renovated circa 1880.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 003 145
Map Sheet:ST01SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishUplowman
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUPLOWMAN

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST01SW/18
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV242.

Widhayes. Vis=estimated -/-/1954 (doe/mhlg). A large irregular house of 16th century origin, much altered in 19th century. Interior modernised. Outbuildings include gatehouse and dovecote. Possible site of the domesday manor of oppaluma: it was added to chevithorn (reichel).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV43234.

Doe/hhr: tiverton rd/(1959)39.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV43235.

Reichel, o. J. /hundreds of devon/(1928-1938)6,23,31/the hundred of tiverton in early times.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1168398 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Widhayes Farmhouse including garden wall adjoining to east. Farmhouse. Late C16 - early Cl7, thoroughly refurbished circa 1880, some circa 1980 modernisation. The front block is red sandstone rubble with some ashlar dressings, the rest is plastered stone rubble, maybe with cob; stone rubble stacks with plastered brick chimneyshafts; slate roof, probably thatch before circa 1980. Plan and development: basically an L-plan house. The main block faces south-south- east, say south. It is double depth. The front contains 3 rooms. The main rooms are the centre one with a rear lateral stack and left (west) room with a gable-end stack. Between these 2 rooms a cross-passage connects the front door to a large stair behind the centre room. At the right (east) end is a double depth dairy. Behind the left front room the rear block projects at right angles back to the road. This includes another passage to the stair well and a corridor runs along the back (east side) of this block past an unheated small office, dining room with axial stack backing onto the kitchen which has a gable-end stack. The service courtyard in the angle of the 2 main wings is also enclosed on the north side by a low service block containing woodsheds and the like. The house is essentially the result of the extensive circa 1880 renovation although a few fragments of late C16 - early Cl7 work shows in the front block. More may be hidden throughout the house. It is 2 storeys throughout. Exterior: the symmetry of the 2-window front is upset by a small third floor window near the right end. The windows are all circa 1980 aluminium-framed windows without glazing bars. The ground floor ones have low segmental arches over and the main first floor ones are half dormers. Central flat doorway contains C19 6-panel door behind a C20 gabled porch. There is a projecting string course across most of the front at first floor sill level. The roof is gable-ended with shaped kneelers and coping. The west side of the rear block has a regular 3-window front, mostly C20 aluminium or iron-framed casements without glazing bars but including 2 C19 timber casements containing rectangular panes of leaded glass. Interior: is wholly the result of the circa 1880 renovation and all the joinery and other detail dates from then. However, in the west room of the front block, an earlier stone rubble fireplace with replacement oak lintel has been exposed. The roof over this section is late C16 - early C17;a common rafter roof arch-braced A- frames. This was possibly built to provide a coved plaster ceiling. Roof of the rear block is not accessible. More early features probably survive behind C19 plaster, but so thorough was the circa 1880 refurbishment, that the houses must be regarded as largely Victorian. There is a large garden to east of the house and it is separated from the road by a tall plastered cob and stone rubble wall with corrugated iron coping extending from the service block eastwards. The farmhouse forms part of an important group with the gatehouse and stables (q.v), a barn (q.v) and linhay (q.v). The farmer possesses a good set of documents relating to the farm dating back to the Cl7.
Date first listed: 5th April 1966

Sources / Further Reading

SDV242Migrated Record:
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1168398.
SDV43234Migrated Record:
SDV43235Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV77308Related to: Barn at Widhayes Farm, Uplowman (Building)
MDV77309Related to: Linhay at Widhayes Farm, Uplowman (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 28 2018 10:07AM