HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV15150
Name:Ruined farmhouse at Nun's Cross Farm, Dartmoor Forest

Summary

Remains of a farmhouse at Nun's Cross Farm shown on 19th century map to east of the later building

Location

Grid Reference:SX 606 698
Map Sheet:SX66NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Extensive earthwork and structural remains of the late 18th century Devonport Leat, Bronze Age features north-east of Nun’s Cross, Whiteworks Tin Mine and other tinning remains on Walkhampton Common as well as earthworks of Bachelors Hall Mine

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX66NW/83
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XIX to XX - 1870 AD to 1949 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV214840.

Des=worksheet in parish file.


Crossing, W., 1912 (1965), Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor, 105 (Monograph). SDV320981.

Nun's Cross Farm. Deserted site. Farmhouse built at turn of century replacing earlier structure to north east which was built circa 1870 by John Hooper.


Haynes, R. G., 1966-1969, Ruined Sites on Dartmoor, 101 (Un-published). SDV150434.

Site visited on 4th July 1966. A cross passage house built circa 1870 and subsequently lengthened. A fireplace at each end but filled in and stacks demolished. Now roofed with corrugated iron and used by animals. A paved court in front of the house with a cart shed attached to the east end and the usual enclosures. The modern cottage lies to the west. No longer occupied.


Harris, H., 1968, Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor, 204 (Monograph). SDV149229.

Farm was the last small holding to be taken in from the moor and was of about thirty acres. John Hooper was the pioneer here and he built the original dwelling house for his family in about 1870. The depleted remains of Hoopers house still stand, now partially roofed with galvanised iron and used as a shelter for stock.


Greeves, T., 1982, Nun's Cross Farm (Worksheet). SDV359290.

Site visited on 25th January 1982. The north-east gable of Nun's Cross farmhouse collapsed outwards in December 1981.


Starkey, F. H., 1987-1981, The area around Nun’s Cross Farm, 103-4 (Article in Serial). SDV345533.

Farm abandoned in the 1940's. Walls of enclosures are now ruinous and the fields have reverted to the common. The original farmhouse had its roof removed in 1974.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149229Monograph: Harris, H.. 1968. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. A5 Hardback. 204.
SDV150434Un-published: Haynes, R. G.. 1966-1969. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Manuscript + Digital. 101.
SDV214840Migrated Record:
SDV320981Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1912 (1965). Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 105.
SDV345533Article in Serial: Starkey, F. H.. 1987-1981. The area around Nun’s Cross Farm. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 34. 103-4.
SDV359290Worksheet: Greeves, T.. 1982. Nun's Cross Farm. Worksheet.

Associated Monuments

MDV113773Part of: Nun's Cross Farmstead, Dartmoor Forest (Monument)
MDV62525Related to: Nun's Cross tunnel (Monument)
MDV5096Related to: Nun's Cross, Walkhampton Common (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 12 2018 4:17PM