HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV15157
Name:Yalworthy Deserted Settlement, Moretonhamstead

Summary

Yalworthy deserted settlement north-west of Linscott.Listed ash house at the site is the only remaining structure.' Yalworthies' shown on mid 19th century Tithe Map with the Apportionment listing it as 'East Yalworthy' and 'West Yalworthy'

Location

Grid Reference:SX 734 878
Map Sheet:SX78NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishMORETONHAMPSTEAD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78NW/57

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (XIV to XIX - 1400 AD to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'Yalworthies' shown on mid 19th century Tithe Map as a settlement of a large group of buildings at the junction of several roads. The Apportionment for 'East Yalworthy' lists Field Number 1775 as 'Homestead, Lanes, Waste' and Field Number 1773 as 'Garden'. The Apportionment for 'West Yalworthy' lists Field Number 1616 as 'Homestead, Waste'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The late 19th century map depicts 'Yalworthy Cottage' at this location and another related structure to the north, although the ash house does not appear to be depicted. Map object based on this source.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 485 (Monograph). SDV337894.

Yalworthy was mentioned as 'Yoldworthi' in 1333, 'Yolworthie in 1582 and 'Yalworthy' or 'Yelworthy' in 1761.


Robinson, R., 1982, List of Field Monument Warden Visits 1982 (Un-published). SDV345608.

Site lies in a sheltered south-west facing valley on a slight ledge in the hillside. The ash house is the only remaining building. Settlement sites survive as low earthworks or platforms. On the tithe map of 1840 the site was occupied by a hamlet known as Yelworthy.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Only the ash house is depicted on the modern mapping, but outline of this area matches the First Edition Ordnance Survey map.
Map object based on this source.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Yalworthies (Un-published). SDV352501.

Yalworthies site of lost steadings shown on the Tithe Map.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 485.
SDV345608Un-published: Robinson, R.. 1982. List of Field Monument Warden Visits 1982. Lists of Field Monument Warden Visits. Printout.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Yalworthies.

Associated Monuments

MDV8268Parent of: Ash House at deserted site north-west of Linscott (Monument)
MDV59066Related to: ENCLOSURE in the Parish of Moretonhampstead (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 8 2016 1:46PM