HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV15195
Name:St Petrock's Parish Church, Clannaborough


Small parish church with an early medieval plan. It was rebuilt in the late 15th/early 16th century and underwent extensive renovation in the mid 19th century.


Grid Reference:SS 747 025
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishClannaborough
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCLANNABOROUGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4874
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/27
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Roman to XXI - 43 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177625.

Early medieval plan.19th century nave but older chancel. Octagonal perpendicular font (pevsner).

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV327107.

Church of st. Petrock. Small parish church. Early medieval origins and plan, rebuilt in late c15/early c16; extensive renovation with new south porch 1858/9 paid for by selina ward wreford of clannaborough barton. Built of squared blocks of mudstone and volcanic stone laid to rough courses; original detail of granite, restoration detail of bath stone and volcanic ashlar; slate roof with red ridge tiles. Mostly late perpendicular. Unbuttressed west tower of two stages. See doe list for full details (doe).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Clannaborough parish church dedicated to the celtic saint petroc. Style of exterior is simple 16th century but interior suffered a victorian restoration (hoskins).

Ravenhill, W. L. D., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33647.

An example of a church sited at the head of a valley, believed to be an indication of its original celtic foundation (ravenhill).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33650.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)369.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33651.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)80-81.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33652.

Chanter, j. F. /tda/42(1910)491/christianity in devon before ad909.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33653.

Ravenhill, w. L. D. /tda/86(1954)67 fig3/settlement in devon in the dark ages.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33654.

Baring gould, s. /dcnq/1 part 1(1901-1902)6-13/st. Petroc.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33655.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33656.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV33657.

Cherry, b. + pevsner, n. /buildings of england: devon/(1989)266.

Untitled Source (Aerial Photograph). SDV33658.

Aph=dap/um 15(3/6/1991).

Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1106979 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Church of St Petrock.
Small parish church. Early medieval origins and plan, rebuilt in late C15-early C16; extensive renovation with new south porch 1858-9 paid for by Selina Ward- Wreford of Clannaborough Barton. Built of squared blocks of mudstone and volcanic stone laid to rough courses; original detail of granite, restoration detail of Bath stone and volcanic ashlar; slate roof with red ridge tiles. Nave with narrower and lower chancel, west tower and south porch. Mostly late Perpendicular. Unbuttressed west tower of 2 stages has hollow-chamfered plinth and embattled parapet with granite machicolations and crocketted corner pinnacles. Belfry has square-headed 2-light granite windows, each light with elliptical head. Their hoods comprise small granite cheeks descending from top drip mould. On north side newel stair turret projects square, has monopitch slate roof and tiny slit windows. On west side round-headed granite doorway with hollow-chamfered surround and volcanic ashlar hood mould. Above is a small square-headed 2-light granite window similar to belfry windows. On south side of tower is small elliptical-headed single light window to the ringing loft. On south side the plinth stops at the nave and the coursing is interrupted. Nave has soffit-chamfered volcanic stone corbel course. Near left end is the C19 south porch. It is gabled and 2-centred sandstone outer arch has chamfered surround. East side wall includes C18 and early C19 granite memorials to members of Wreford family. Right of porch is a granite 2-light square-headed window with restored volcanic stone cinquefoil heads. Another similar window in south side of chancel but this is a complete replacement of volcanic ashlar. East gable end of chancel has a C19 Bathstone replacement window, a 3-light Perpendicular style window with flat arched head and plain hood mould. North side of chancel is blind and north side of nave has 2 repaired granite 2-light square-headed windows like those on south side. Much-restored interior._ Porch has an open C19 wagon roof: it is bolted together, has chamfered ribs and includes a series of carved bosses, all with the same geometric pattern. South doorway is a partly-restored nearly round-headed granite arch with a double roll moulded surround. It contains a C19 plank door with ornate wrought ironwork. Inner arch of south door is tall with flat 4-centred arch head, and to right is remains of a granite stoup. Original volcanic stone high tower arch with plain responds, soffit-chamfered imposts and triple-chamfered arch ring. C19 beams carry ringing floor. Nave and chancel have C19 open wagon roofs with chamfered ribs, bosses carved with simple geometric motifs, and chamfered wall plate is enriched with variety of 4-leaf motifs some of which may be reused late C15-early C16 work. Roofs separated by C19 Bathstone chancel arch, a soffit- chamfered 4-centred arch on false corbels. Nave floor of patterns of coloured C19 tiles and includes some grave slabs, the oldest in memory of William Wreford, yeoman (died 1688), his wife Annis (died 1707) and son Roger (died 1720). Chancel floor has C19 encaustic tiles. East window flanked by C19 painted Commandment boards. C19 altar rail with twisted stem supports and repoussee ivy leaf brackets. C19 Gothic style choirstalls, lectern, pulpit and benches. Granite font maybe late C15 - early C16 but recut in C19 : it has moulded base, octagonal stem and octagonal bowl with faces containing sunken quatrefoil panels, alternate panels containing a flower motif. Notable mural memorials include marble monument to Grace Freke (died 1783) on north side of chancel, in which the rectangular plaque is surmounted by a bas-relief vase and apron has bas relief cherub; and a simple rectangular marble monument on north side of nave to Sophia Hughes and son George who drowned together in 1811. Church restoration commemorated in plaque over south door. Stained glass in east window (1863) and north window of nave (1867) by Hardman and Co. North Window of chancel in memory of Captain John Wreford, Julian Hardman of the First Royal dragoons who died in 1900 on active service in the Boer War contains a charming Art Nouveau representation of St Martin dividing his cloak. Church is not electrified and is lit by C19 oil lamps and brass candelabras. An unusually small parish church without aisles.
Date first listed: 26th Aug, 1965

Sources / Further Reading

SDV177625Migrated Record:
SDV327107Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV33647Migrated Record: Ravenhill, W. L. D..
SDV33650Migrated Record:
SDV33651Migrated Record:
SDV33652Migrated Record:
SDV33653Migrated Record:
SDV33654Migrated Record:
SDV33655Migrated Record:
SDV33656Migrated Record:
SDV33657Migrated Record:
SDV33658Aerial Photograph:
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1106979.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jan 4 2018 10:50AM