HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV15206
Name:St. Margaret's Parish Church, Templeton

Summary

Templeton parish church, dedicated to st. Margaret. Rebuilt in 1876, except for the tower (hoskins).

Location

Grid Reference:SS 887 140
Map Sheet:SS81SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTempleton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTEMPLETON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5046
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS81SE/13
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

NO EXTERNAL DIVISION, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV55986.

Parish church. Thoroughly rebuilt in 1877 with the exception of the probably late c15 tower, which was restored: architect unknown to date. Stone rubble: asbestos slate roof; freestone and volcanic stone dressings. Plan: small church of west tower, nave and chancel (no external division) south porch, north-east vestry. Perpendicular style window details.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV55988.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)492.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV55989.

Doe/hhr:templeton/(7/12/1987)132.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV55990.

Nmr=ss81se8.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV55991.

Cherry, b. + pevsner, n. /the buildings of england:devon/(1989)801.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV55992.

Lyson, d. /magna britannia/(1822)495.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV327111.

Exterior: chancel with 3-light perpendicular c19 east window, date plaque of october 11th 1877 on north wall. The south side of the church has three 2-light cusped windows with square heads, the window to the right of the porch probably medieval. The north side has 1 similar 3-light window and one 2-light window; north east vestry with similar 2-light east window and dismantled stack.2-stage battlemented west tower with internal north-west stair turret; blocked west doorway; 2-light c19 perpendicular west window, chamfered belfry openings to all 4 faces. The porch has a c19 2-centred outer doorway, an arched brace roof and moulded inner doorway. Interior: no chancel arch; plastered walls; tower arch filled in with late c20 glazed screen. Good c19 4-bay moulded arched brace roof. Modest fittings of 1877: no reredos, timber drum pulpit with trefoil-headed openings.1877 altar rails, tiling, benches to nave; 1988 choirstalls incorporating c17 carved panels. Octagonal granite font, possibly c15, on a replaced shaft (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Templeton parish church, dedicated to st. Margaret. Rebuilt in 1876, except for the tower (hoskins).


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1170128 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Parish church. Thoroughly rebuilt in 1877 with the exception of the probably late C15 tower, which was restored: architect unknown to date. Stone rubble: asbestos slate roof; freestone and volcanic stone dressings. Plan: Small church of west tower, nave and chancel (no external division), south porch, north-east vestry. Perpendicular style window details. Exterior: Chancel with 3-light Perpendicular C19 east window, date plaque of October 11th 1877 on north wall. The south side of the church has three 2-light cusped windows with square heads, the window to the right of the porch probably medieval. The north side has 1 similar 3-light window and one 2-light window; north east vestry with similar 2-light east window and dismantled stack. 2-stage battlemented west tower with internal north-west stair turret; blocked west doorway; 2-light C19 Perpendicular west window, chamfered belfry openings to all 4 faces. The porch has a C19 2-centred outer doorway, an arched brace roof and moulded inner doorway. Interior: No chancel arch; plastered walls; tower arch filled in with late C20 glazed screen. Good C19 4-bay moulded arched brace roof. Modest fittings of 1877: no reredos, timber drum pulpit with trefoil-headed openings. 1877 altar rails, tiling, benches to nave; 1877 choirstalls incorporating C17 carved panels. Octagonal granite font, possibly C15, on a replaced shaft. Memorials and Glass: Daniell Cudmore memorial, died 1679, on south wall of chancel, inscription with cartouche, pilasters and broken pediment. Memorial plaque on north wall to Zachary Cudmore, died 1628 with inscription describing charity. Glass presented and made by Frederick Drake of Exeter including tracery lights in east window and figure of St Margaret in north side. Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.
Date first listed: 05th April 1966.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV327111Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1170128.
SDV55986Migrated Record: NO EXTERNAL DIVISION.
SDV55988Migrated Record:
SDV55989Migrated Record:
SDV55990Migrated Record:
SDV55991Migrated Record:
SDV55992Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 11:53AM