HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV15263
Name:St Giles's Parish Church, Kilmington

Summary

St Giles's parish church in Kilmington built in the 15th century and rebuilt apart from the tower, in 1862

Location

Grid Reference:SY 273 979
Map Sheet:SY29NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKilmington
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishKILMINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4962
  • National Monuments Record: 449607
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY29NE/37
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 88012
  • Royal Albert Memorial Museum Accession Number: 201/2008

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XV to XIX - 1450 AD to 1870 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

19th century northern graveyard wall shown futher south than the later wall.


Cresswell, B. F., 1918-1919, Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches, 3,8 (Article in Serial). SDV7613.

Brief reference to an incised stone slab in the church. It bears a cross similar to that at Cotleigh church.


Wilkin, W. H., 1932 - 1933, Kilmington Church, 111-2 (Article in Serial). SDV344323.

18th century military relics described.


Wilkin, W. H., 1934 - 1935, The Royal Arms in Churches, 54,58 (Article in Serial). SDV131250.

Contains example of Royal Arms of Charles II.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 190 (Monograph). SDV336196.

West tower with stair-turret, battlements and gargoyles is sole remaining old portion of building. Church plate and monuments also mentioned.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 419 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Parish church of Kilmington, dedicated to st. Giles. Rebuilt, apart from tower, in 1862. Only the marble monument of 1735 to Thomas Southcott is noteworthy.


Department of Environment, 1984, 62: Part of East Devon, 107-8 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV326854.

15th century west tower. Remainder built in 1862 and designed by T T Bury. West tower of two stages.


Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Kilmington, 3, 7 (Report - non-specific). SDV346696.

Other details: Maps, photograph.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003-2004, East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey, Site No. 1084 (Archive - Survey). SDV351568.

Parish Church of St Giles, Kilmington. Mostly rebuilt in 1862. Listed Grade II*.
SMR.


Goodwin, N., 2007, Archaeological Recording of Church Extension and Services at St Giles Church, Kilmington (Report - Watching Brief). SDV344326.

There was a chapel in Kilmington in the reign of Edward I (1272-1305) which may have originated in Saxon times. The church tower was built between 1485 and 1509 and is the only remaining part of the church which survived a major reconstruction in 1862 by C F Edwards of Axminster. A watching brief was undertaken in 2007 during the construction of a new porch, pathway and mains services on the north side of the church. The foundations of a wall were exposed to the north of the present north wall of the church which probably represents the north wall of the church that was demolished in 1862. Grave cuts were exposed to the north of the wall foundations but no dating evidence was found. A disturbed area 3 metres by 1.5 metres and 0.5 metres deep was exposed 3 metres to the north of the church wall which may have been the site of a large tomb which was removed during the 19th century rebuilding. A possible wall robber trench was exposed in the service trench 10 metres to the north of the church. The 19th century Tithe Map of Kilmington shows the former church within a smaller churchyard and the robber trench may represent the former northern boundary wall of the churchyard.


National Monuments Record, 2010, 449607 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV344325.

Other details: SY29NE37.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Parish church of St Giles in Kilmington was Listed on 8th May 1967. The 15th century west tower has two stages, north angle buttresses with set offs, battlements, finials and gargoyles with two light bell openings. Four centred arch to the west window and door. Polygonal stair turret on south side. Nave, north and south aisles and chancel built in 1862 in perpendicular style, and with open timber framed south porch. Coursed stone with freestone dressings, and slate and tiled roofs. Interior: four bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Four centred arch wagon roofs to nave and chancel. 15th century octagonal font with quatrefoil panels. Monuments in north aisle Thomas Southcott 1735 with Corinthian pilasters broken pediment containing cartouche flanked by angels and Mrs Agnes Tucker 1788 by Harris of London, with draped urn. Royal Arms of Charles II fixed to roof of north aisle. Hatchment over tower arch. Other details: LBS Number 88012.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV131250Article in Serial: Wilkin, W. H.. 1934 - 1935. The Royal Arms in Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 18. Unknown. 54,58.
SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 419.
SDV326854List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. 62: Part of East Devon. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 107-8.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 190.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #81533 ]
SDV344323Article in Serial: Wilkin, W. H.. 1932 - 1933. Kilmington Church. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 17. Unknown. 111-2.
SDV344325National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 449607. National Monuments Record Index. Website.
SDV344326Report - Watching Brief: Goodwin, N.. 2007. Archaeological Recording of Church Extension and Services at St Giles Church, Kilmington. Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.01. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV346696Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Kilmington. East Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3, 7.
SDV351568Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003-2004. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material. Site No. 1084.
SDV7613Article in Serial: Cresswell, B. F.. 1918-1919. Sepulchral Slabs with Crosses in Devon Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 10.1. Unknown. 3,8.

Associated Monuments

MDV107135Parent of: Kilmington Boer War Memorial, St Giles Church (Monument)
MDV104338Parent of: War Memorial in St. Giles' Church (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4596 - Watching Brief at St Giles's Parish Church, Kilmington

Date Last Edited:Nov 24 2017 12:05PM