HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV15283
Name:St George's Church, Tiverton

Summary

Church of St George, designed by John James, begun 1714-16 and completed 1727-33 after a period of use as a warehouse. Ham Hill ashlar, 5-bay galleried box with a shallow chancel arranged symetrically with opposed doors to the west and east.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 954 124
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5048
  • National Monuments Record: SS91SE 40
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/75
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH (Post Medieval to XIX - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR, SS91SE40, SS91SE 40 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV319622.


Baldwin, M. + Mahood, A. S., 1957, Untitled Source, 141-2 (Article in Serial). SDV55915.

St. George's Church. Fine georgian building. Built in 1714 yet not consecrated until 1733. In 1840's the roofs of the north and south aisles were raised, a west gallery added and an organ inserted. The chancel window was inserted in 1846.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 22 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

1714-1730. Ashlar. Classical bell cupola 1737. Alterations to galleries 1841-2. Restored 1896. Ionic order internally.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tiverton Town Trails, 66 (Article in Monograph). SDV352466.

A notable Devon Georgian church. There are some interesting tombstones in the churchyard included one to Samuel Wesley and another to a midwife who delivered more than 5000 babies between 1698 and 1733.


Mid Devon District Council, 1995, Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application, 5 (Un-published). SDV346055.

Reputedly the finest 18th century church in Devon, marred only by its dilapidated setting.


Parker, R. + Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1999, Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Redevelopment in St Andrew Street, Tiverton, Devon, 5 (Report - Assessment). SDV341212.

Lying directly opposite the site, the new proposed buildings are likely to have an effect on the setting of this building, regarded as Devon's best 18th century town church.


Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2000, Tiverton, 154-6 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV341214.

Church of St George, designed by John James, begun 1714-16 and completed 1727-33 after a period of use as a warehouse. Situated on the corner of Fore Street and St Andrew Street, with a show front on the north side (to Fore Street) with a small railed churchyard in front and quite a grand west end ensemble on the corner with St Andrew Street. The plan is a 5-bay galleried box with a shallow chancel arranged symetrically with opposed doors to the west and east. Built of Ham Hill ashlar under a lead roof, with late 19th century alterations. See list for full details.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV319622National Monuments Record Database: NMR. SS91SE40. SS91SE 40. SS91SE 40.
SDV341212Report - Assessment: Parker, R. + Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1999. Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Redevelopment in St Andrew Street, Tiverton, Devon. Exeter Archaeology Report. 99.14. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV341214List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2000. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 154-6.
SDV346055Un-published: Mid Devon District Council. 1995. Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV352466Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tiverton Town Trails. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 66.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 22.
SDV55915Article in Serial: Baldwin, M. + Mahood, A. S.. 1957. Archaeological Journal. 114. 141-2.

Associated Monuments

MDV71065Parent of: Cast Iron Churchyard Railings, St George's Church (Building)
MDV71064Parent of: Chest Tomb of Mary Peard, St George's Churchyard (Building)
MDV107096Parent of: World War I Memorial Plaque, St George's Church (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4408 - Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Redevelopment in St Andrew Street, Tiverton, Devon

Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 11:57AM