HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV155
Name:St. Michael's Parish Church, Bulkworthy


Largely rebuilt in the early 15th century, although retaining 13th/14th century windows. South aisle added early 16th century. Thoroughly restored in 1873-4.


Grid Reference:SS 394 141
Map Sheet:SS31SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBulkworthy
Ecclesiastical ParishBULKWORTHY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5059
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS31SE/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

NMR, SS31SE11 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV15330.

Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 64-5 (Monograph). SDV336196.

West bellcote of 1873. South porch with chamber over. A tiny church, with granite arcade and east window of late perp date.

Harvey, H. H., 1952 - 1953, Abbot's Bickington and Bulkworthy, 104 (Article in Serial). SDV6283.

Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 358 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Parish church of St. Michael. Largely rebuilt in the early 15th century and south aisle added about 100 years later. The thorough restoration of 1873-4 removed the screen and made a new pulpit from the carved bench ends.

Department of Environment, 1955, Bideford RD, 4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV4813.

Perpendicular. South chapel with barrel vaulted roof, 13/14th century windows, and outer flight of steps to the priest's parvis over the south porch.

Department of Environment, 1989, Bulkworthy, 16 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV15325.

Parish church. 15th century, restored 1874. Random rubble local stone, slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles, porch and south aisle under same roof slightly higher than nave. Chancel and nave undivided, 2-bay south aisle, abutting south porch with chamber above reached by external stone stair, bell-cote west end. West gable end 2 full height stepped buttresses carrying relieving arch and gabled bell-cote hung with 2 bells, 2-light west window, escutcheon below relieving arch containing date and initials "I. C. M. S"; south wall of nave unlit, lateral stone stair of 11 steps to round-headed doorway to room over porch, plank door. Pointed arch-head double roll moulded opening to porch, 19th century rafter roof, depressed tudor arch head doorway, 19th century door; trefoil-headed lancet above porch, two 2-light cinquefoil-headed windows with hoodmoulds, 3-light uncusped at east gable ends, pointed arch lancet in north wall of chancel, to west two 2-light windows with hollow-chamfer granite mullions under square hoodmoulds with a stepped buttress between.
Interior of porch rendered with flat plasterboard roof, otherwise featureless.
Interior of church rendered. Two bay arcade of granite with depressed Tudor arch heads, and octagonal capitals with panels of birds and christian symbols. Trefoil-headed hagioscope in north west corner of aisle looking into nave. Partly renewed ribbed and ceiled barrel vault roof with bosses and wallplate in chancel, original ceiled ribbed barrel vault to aisle with wallplate and bosses.
Octagonal pulpit with carved panels in memory of William Newcombe of Hankford died 1854. Norman font with cable-moulded base on 19th century plinth. 19th century decorative wooden reredos inset with slate tablets, altar table and floor tiles all coeval. 19th century pews. 19th century stained glass in east window. Floor carpet may possibly conceal tomb slabs. There is no electric light in the church. It is said that an inscription in the church, since lost, attributed its building to Sir William Hankford, chief justice of the King's bench, in the years 1414-22. The initials on the bell-cote are those of J. C. Moore-Stevens who paid for most of the 1874 restoration.

Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 238 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15325List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Bulkworthy. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 16.
SDV15330National Monuments Record Database: NMR. SS31SE11. Digital.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 358.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 238.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 64-5.
SDV4813List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1955. Bideford RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 4.
SDV6283Article in Serial: Harvey, H. H.. 1952 - 1953. Abbot's Bickington and Bulkworthy. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 25. Unknown. 104.

Associated Monuments

MDV156Parent of: Font in St. Michael's Parish Church, Bulkworthy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 7 2017 12:24PM