HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV15661
Name:Greenslade Farm, North Tawton

Summary

Greenslade is recorded in the Domesday book of 1086 at Gherneslete. The farmhouse is thought to date from the medieval period but currently little is known of the development of the farmstead prior to the 19th century. The present farm buildings are probably all 18th century or later in date. They are arranged in a loose courtyard plan around a yard and comprise a stables, wagon shed, cider barn, kitchen barn, chicken houses, cow barns, linhay, threshing barn with a horse engine house, bull pen and pig barn. Attached to the farmhouse is a malthouse.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 649 002
Map Sheet:SS60SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH TAWTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS60SW/42

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (First mentioned, XI - 1086 AD to 1086 AD)

Full description

REICHEL, 1897, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV2587.

Greenslade. This was a domesday estate known as "gherneslete" (reichel, 1897).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV279439.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/29(1897)251/the devonshire domesday. Part iii. The hundred of north tawton.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV279440.

Reichel, o. J. /tda/42(1910)234/the hundred of sulfretona or hairidge in early times.


REICHEL, 1910, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV38348.

It was held by baldwin the sheriff by rainer, his house steward.(reichel, 1910).


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Greenslade marked, comprising ranges of buildings around a courtyard, including a horse engine house, with additional buildings around an other yard adjoining to the west. The farmhouse is on the south side of the courtyard with a garden on its south side. On the east side of the garden is a building, adjoining the farmhouse and another smaller rectangular building is shown against the western wall of the garden in the south-east corner of an adjoining orchard. Further orchards are shown to the south and east.


Historic England, 2018, Combination barn and linhays at Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Lane, Sampford Courtenay, Okehampton, Devon (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV361843.

Notification that the combination barn and linhays have been added to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. These buildings were recommended for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Architectural interest:
* for the good proportion of retained historic fabric, particularly to the threshing barn;
* for the survival of the wheelhouse, complete with horse whim, together with the threshing barn;
* as an example of the use of local materials and skills.
Historic interest:
* as an illustration of farming traditions in Devon and nationwide;
* for their association with Greenslade House, which has medieval origins and was altered in the late C18.
Group value:
* as principal elements of a good historic farmstead including the Grade II*-listed Greenslade House.
However, the stables, former wagon shed, kitchen barn, chicken houses, cow barns, and pig barn at Greenslade Farm were not recommended for listing, for the following principal reasons:
Lack of architectural interest:
* these farm buildings are conventional for their type and do not display the interest required for their type and
date;
* due to their non-standard plan, the stables may have been adapted from a different use, and additionally no
information is available about the building’s interior.
Alteration:
* the kitchen barn has been altered to create an annexe, including the use of non-traditional materials;
* the cow barns have been remodelled using non-traditional materials, resulting in the loss of any
architectural and historic interest;
* the pig barn has been successively repaired with modern materials and has lost the majority of its historic
fabric.
See report for further information.


Historic England, 2018, Farm buildings at Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Lane, Sampford Courtenay, Okehampton, Okehampton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV361696.

Notification that following an application to add the farm buildings to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, Historic England have completed their initial assessment of the buildings. The malthouse was not included in the assessment as it it attached to the main farmhouse, listed Grade II*.
History
Greenslade was recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 as ‘Gherneslete’ with the Lord of the manor being Rainer the steward and the Tenant-in-chief Baldwin the sheriff. Up until the C19, little is known about the development and layout of the various ancillary farm buildings. The farmhouse itself (Grade II*-listed) is thought to date from the medieval period, with alterations and extensions in the C17 and C18, including in the late C18 the rear of the house refashioned to become the front.
The 1844 Tithe apportionment for North Tawton records that Greenslade was owned and occupied by John Shillson. The farm at this time was of 221 acres with plantations, a nursery, orchards and meadows. The Tithe map shows the house, at that point not connected to the malthouse to the south-east but connected to the cider barn to the north-east, forming an L-shape. Adjacent to the north-west was a long building fronting the farmyard. On the north side of the farmyard the map shows five separate buildings; these today (east to west) are a garage (formerly a cart shed), stables, the pig barn, threshing barn, and a linhay. By the time of the 1888 Ordnance Survey (OS) the farmhouse had been attached to the malthouse by a small extension - the export of malted barley being a predominant industry in Devon - and the cider barn shortened at its north end. The building to the north-west of the house had been replaced or altered to create the kitchen barn, and a further linhay built on the north boundary.
The cow barns to the east, on the southern side of the farmyard, were also in place. A wheelhouse attached to the threshing barn is depicted as an open-fronted semi-circular building, which may have been unroofed at this date. The 1888 OS also shows that the land to the south-east of the farmstead was laid to orchards (for the production of cider), with something of a formal garden to the south-east of the house. In 1905, at the time of the next
Ordnance Survey, nothing had changed and it is apparent that no changes had occurred into the mid C20, as the 1956 OS shows the farmstead in exactly the same configuration. After 1972 a building adjacent to the cow barns, at the far south-west corner of the farmyard was demolished.
It is probable that most of the farm buildings originally had thatched roofs, but today all except the cider barn which is attached to the farmhouse, have corrugated-tin roofs. The farm was in the same ownership from 1946 until 2016, when it was sold to the present owners.
Details
Farm buildings comprising stables, former wagon shed, cider barn, kitchen barn, chicken houses, cow barns, linhays, threshing barn with attached bull pen and roundhouse, and a pig barn. They are arranged in a loose courtyard plan around a yard, and probably date from the C18 and later.
MATERIALS: the buildings are mainly of cob construction on a stone plinth, with corrugated-tin over a timber roof structure. Various alterations have been made in C20 materials, including concrete block.
PLAN: the farmhouse is located to the south-east of the farmstead, with the farm buildings arranged along the north, south and east boundaries. The main entrance to the farmyard is between the stables and garage on the eastern side. Most of the open-fronted buildings (the linhays and pig barn) face south.
Attached to the farmhouse at the east end of its north elevation is a two-storey CIDER BARN. It is constructed of cob on a stone plinth with a thatched roof, with C20 timber weatherboarding to the gable of the north elevation. The barn is rectangular in plan, roughly two bays north to south. The west elevation is buttressed, with a door at ground level and a further door above a flight of stone steps. An out-shut entrance adjacent to the steps leads
into the farmhouse. The north elevation has two window openings and there is a small lean-to on north-east elevation.
To the south-west of the farmhouse is the KITCHEN BARN. Also constructed in cob and brick, with a corrugated-tin hipped roof, it is rectangular in plan with two square window-openings on the north-east elevation, and C21 double-height glazing to north-west elevation. Within the front courtyard of the farmhouse are the single-storey
CHICKEN HOUSES, of cob and brick with a slate-tiled single-pitch roof.
Central to the farmyard is a combination barn, comprising a single-floor threshing barn and C19 wheelhouse. The THRESHING BARN is of cob and brick on a stone plinth with a corrugated-tin pitched roof. It is rectangular in plan, of roughly three-bays, and is double height with no internal upper floor. The principal doors are on the north-east (out) with a cat-slide roof, and south-west (in), with an additional later opening on the south-east elevation. There
are slit windows below the eaves to the upper level. Internally, the barn has a collar-beam roof with purlins and principal rafters directly into the cob wall-plate. At the north-west end is a timber-framed full-height partition, possibly for a lofted stable or cow house. There are some apotropaic daisy wheels inscribed on the internal walls. A single-storey brick bull pen is attached at the south corner of the barn and there is a further lean-to on the north-east elevation. Attached to the north-east elevation of the threshing barn is a single-storey
WHEELHOUSE, semi-circular in plan, with a corrugated-tin roof supported on granite monoliths with half-walls of stone and C20 concrete block. It has a collar-beam roof, with additional roughly-hewn beams resting on the giant horizontal whim beam which enters the north-east wall of the threshing barn. On the north-west boundary of the farmyard, between the wheelhouse and stables, is the PIG BARN, which takes the form of a linhay being rectangular in plan with six open-fronted bays. It has cob end-walls with corrugated-tin sheeting to the upper part of the front elevation at the west end and to the single-pitch roof which is supported on timber posts. There is a small lean-to at the east end. At right angles to the pig barn and forming part of the eastern boundary are the STABLES, which are rectangular in plan, roughly five bays, with cob walls on a stone plinth under a corrugated-tin hipped roof. There is a door at each end of the south elevation, with small windows between. On the same side as the stables is the FORMER CART SHED. It is rectangular in plan, of four open-fronted bays, and is constructed with cob end-walls under a corrugated-tin hipped roof, supported on brick and timber piers.
A linear range of LINHAYS runs east to west at the west end of the farmyard, on its north side. They are connected to the threshing barn at their eastern end. The linhays are constructed of cob, red brick and sandstone, with timber posts to the open front, some supported with C20 concrete blocks, corrugated-tin pitched roofs. The principal section is seven bays, open to a collar-beam roof with purlins and no common rafters. The western sections of linhay are of five bays over two-storeys with a hayloft to the upper storey. At the north-east end is a single-storey lean-to. Opposite the linhays are the COW BARNS. These comprise two double-height barns, of C20 concrete block below timber cladding with a flat corrugated-tin roof. The rear wall comprises a red-brick boundary wall running from the kitchen barn to the western boundary of the farm.


Historic England, 2018, Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Lane, Sampford Courtenay, Okehampton, Okehampton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV361206.

Historic England have received an application to add the buildings at Greenslade Farm to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Greenslade marked. Comparison with the 1880s-1890s Ordnance Survey map shows the basic layout of the farmstead to have changed little.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV2587Migrated Record: REICHEL, 1897.
SDV279439Migrated Record:
SDV279440Migrated Record:
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV361206List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2018. Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Lane, Sampford Courtenay, Okehampton, Okehampton. Application Received to Add Building to List. Digital.
SDV361696List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2018. Farm buildings at Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Lane, Sampford Courtenay, Okehampton, Okehampton. Notification of Completion of Assessment. Digital.
SDV361843List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2018. Combination barn and linhays at Greenslade Farm, Greenslade Lane, Sampford Courtenay, Okehampton, Devon. Notification of Addition to List. Digital.
SDV38348Migrated Record: REICHEL, 1910.

Associated Monuments

MDV123245Parent of: Combination Barn and Linhays at Greenslade Farm, Sampford Courtenay (Building)
MDV55828Parent of: Greenslade Farmhouse, North Tawton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 25 2018 10:29AM