HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1597
Name:The Saxon School

Summary

Late 17th and early 18th century documents refer to a house called the Saxon School, with a courtyard, great rooms, and vaults and cellars beneath it, adjoining the churchyard.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 481 743
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/57

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Unknown to XVII (Pre))

Full description

Radford, G. H., 1914, Tavistock Abbey, 150-3 (Article in Serial). SDV136050.

In a late 17th century lease the Saxon School is described as 'a house with a large courtyard formerly a garden towards the front' with a 'house or great room' at the east and west ends, and vaults and cellars beneath it. From an early 18th century lease it is evident that these premises adjoined the churchyard. The ' house or great room' at the east end was probably the Chapter House, that at the west end perhaps the kitchen. The part known as the Dungeon in the 1691 lease was the abbey gatehouse (formerly the Great Gate of the abbey) now standing in the vicarage garden under the name of Betsy Grimbal's Tower. The house was rebuilt in 1729 by Jacob Saunders. The Chapter House was torn down to make way for the new house, called The Abbey House.


Mettler, A.E., 2010, Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752, 30 (Monograph). SDV350389.

F21 is described as including 'The Great House and Stable called the Saxon School.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

The east end of the Bedford Hotel (Listed Grade II) was built circa 1725 on the site of the monastic buildings south of the cloisters of Tavistock Abbey, as a dwellinghouse by Jacob Saunders.


The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project, 2012, Tavistock 1752, F21 (Website). SDV350360.

Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV136050Article in Serial: Radford, G. H.. 1914. Tavistock Abbey. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 46. A5 Hardback. 150-3.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350360Website: The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project. 2012. Tavistock 1752. http://www.tavistock1752.co.uk/index.cfm. Website. F21.
SDV350389Monograph: Mettler, A.E.. 2010. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Paperback Volume. 30.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 30 2013 11:36AM