HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV1604
Name:The Manor Hotel


The Manor Hotel, formerly known as Lew House, is largely the creation of Sabine Baring Gould in the late 19th century. It incorporates a number of 16th and 17th features some of whch may be original to the house.


Grid Reference:SX 458 860
Map Sheet:SX48NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLewtrenchard
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLEWTRENCHARD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX48NE/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 92353

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (VIII to XXI - 701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Baring Gould, S., 1888, Some Devon Monoliths, 160 (Article in Serial). SDV266063.

Reichel, O. J., 1896, The Domesday Hundreds: Listone, 467 (Article in Serial). SDV2119.

Lew house, also known as the Manor Hotel. The core of the house is a 16th century small manor house. Rearranged in 1626. It was enlarged in 1881-1914 by the Rev. Baring-Gould, to be a mansion with an E-shaped front, a fine porch, many granite fire-places, panelled walls, and moulded plaster ceilings with traditional Italian designs by local craftsmen, circa 1885 (period six). He then incorporated much of the stonework from Orchard House, Bratton Clovelly, such as the porch with the date 1620 on its centre-gate gable. Some of the plaster ceilings appear to have been original, brought from other places. The windows are of oak or Brent Tor freestone. Some cusped fragments of the latter have been found. In the garden is an 'Elizabethan' garden, pavilions and a continental-looking dovecote. Coins found in the house from the reign of Henry III. This was the Domesday manor of Leuya, or Lewe, held of Baldwin the Sheriff by Roger de Molis. Bristric held it at the time of King Edward.

Ordnance Survey, 1905, 5SE, 231-214 (Cartographic). SDV335614.

Tenancies given for the Manor of Lewtrenchard at the time of Testa de Nevil, 1243.

French, K. + French, C., 1957, Devonshire Plasterwork, 136 (Article in Serial). SDV4676.

Gordon Monk, S., 1961, Untitled Source, 28-33 (Monograph). SDV266067.

Williams, H. F. F., 1964, Untitled Source, 7 (Monograph). SDV266066.

Copeland, G. W., 1966, Proceedings at the 104th Annual Meeting, 34 (Article in Serial). SDV266064.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1973, SX48NE7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV266068.

Lew House (Manor House) OS 6" 1907.

Lewtrenchard Hotel and remains of Manor House. OS 25" 1953.

Of early 17th century origin but was much altered and extended by Baring Gould who introduced much material from elsewhere. The entrance dated 1620, and some mullioned windows came from Orchard (Threshelton). DOE (HHR) Tavistock RD Feb 1960.

Lew House, the manor house and seat of the Gould family. Kelly's directory 1930, 343.

"Should be 'site of'. Baring Gould rebuilt the house and only two windows and a fireplace are original. Old material brought from many places and built into present building". Inf R Hansford Worth oral 06/07/1950.

The present house, now the Lewtrenhard Hotel, is an extremely well preserved "copy" of an "Elizabethan" mansion.

"Anthony Monck lived at Lew House circa 1523-4 and Henry Gould purchased it and the estates in 1626. William Drake-Gould (1719-1766) pulled down quite a portion of the house to reduce its status" An E-shaped mansion with a court enclosed on three sides at the rear. The porch doorway apparently came from Staverton (Near Dartington, Devon) although much else came from Orchard; the west wing appears to be entirely modern. Extracts from the Lewtrenchard Guide, 1961, 8, 12, 28. (S Gordon Monk)

Department of Environment, 1985, Lewtrenchard, 62-63 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV266062.

The Manor Hotel (formerly listed as Lew House). Largely the creation of Sabine Baring-Gould, built between 1881 and circa 1900, incorporating 16th and 17th century features some of which may be original to the house, others imported from elsewhere. Arts and crafts Tudor and wholly late 19th century in conception. Dressed coursed Raddon stone and granite with granite dressings. The Sabine Baring-Gould interior is almost completely intact, combining 16th and 17th century woodwork and 17th century plasterwork with late 19th century work produced by local craftsmen on Ruskinian principles supervised by the owner. See DOE list for full details.

1989, DAP/OB 12 (Aerial Photograph). SDV266072.

Exeter Archaeology, 2004, Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Alterations to Pridhamsleigh, Staverton, 2 + pl.29 (Report - Assessment). SDV321670.

The richly carved entrance porch bearing the date 1620 was removed by Baring Gould to Lew Trenchard from Pridhamsleigh Manor, Staverton. It bears the arms of Edward Gould and those of his wife, Elizabeth Mann, who died in 1633.

Devon Gardens Trust, 2006, Lewtrenchard Manor (Un-published). SDV356214.

The house, parts of which date from c1600, was substantially remodelled by Sabine Baring-Gould from 1881. It was described by Cherry and Pevsner as ‘an intriguing creation’.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV2119Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1896. The Domesday Hundreds: Listone. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 28. Unknown. 467.
SDV266062List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Lewtrenchard. Historic Houses Register. 62-63.
SDV266063Article in Serial: Baring Gould, S.. 1888. Some Devon Monoliths. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 20. 160.
SDV266064Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1966. Proceedings at the 104th Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 98. A5 Paperback. 34.
SDV266066Monograph: Williams, H. F. F.. 1964. Notes of the Parish of Lew-trenchard: Devon. 7.
SDV266067Monograph: Gordon Monk, S.. 1961. Lew House, Lewtrenchard Church and Baring-Gould. 28-33.
SDV266068Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1973. SX48NE7. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV266072Aerial Photograph: 1989. DAP/OB 12. DAP/OB.
SDV321670Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2004. Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Alterations to Pridhamsleigh, Staverton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 04.52. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2 + pl.29.
SDV335614Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 5SE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper). 231-214.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #81714 ]
SDV356214Un-published: Devon Gardens Trust. 2006. Lewtrenchard Manor. Devon Local Register of Parks and Gardens of Local Historic Interest. Digital.
SDV4676Article in Serial: French, K. + French, C.. 1957. Devonshire Plasterwork. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. A5 Hardback. 136.

Associated Monuments

MDV1605Related to: Dovecote at Lew House, Lewtrenchard (Building)
MDV64756Related to: Gardens at Lewtrenchard Manor (Building)
MDV7779Related to: Pridhamsleigh Manor and Farmhouse, Staverton (Building)
MDV98483Related to: St Petrock's Well and pond 35 metres south-west of Lewtrenchard Hotel (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 19 2018 3:59PM