HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV16124
Name:Marley Farm, Rattery

Summary

There has been a farmstead on this site since the medieval period, according to documentary sources. The current farm dates to at least the early-mid 19th century, although may be earlier. Depicted on the Tithe Map as 'Barton' and recorded as Marley in the Apportionment.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 723 613
Map Sheet:SX76SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishRattery
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishRATTERY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76SW/102

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XI to Late Medieval - 1001 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'Barton' is depicted on the Tithe Map; 226 on the Rattery apportionment ('House, bartons and C'). The farm is laid out as a range of buildings around three sides (east, north and west) of a square courtyard. The farmhouse is in the south-western corner and there is a pond shown just to the north of the range.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

By the late 19th century, some buildings have been added in the central yard area and the south-western corner of the range appears to have been altered slightly; farmhouse may have been changed / rebuilt. Large rectangular building aligned north-south is shown to the north of the farm.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Largely the same as the late 19th century map depiction.


Reichel, O. J., 1913, The Hundred of Stanborough or Dippeforda in the Time of 'Testa de Nevil' AD 1243, 175,176,204 (Article in Serial). SDV336180.

At Marley, Rattery, the site of a medieval farmstead which, in 1086, was probably held by one of the two squires of the Manor of Rattery. In 1285 it was held along with Hood and Wallaford. Some later descents are given.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

The modern map shows how the construction of the A38 has caused the south-eastern corner of the farm to be truncated. Some further modern buildings are shown to the north.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #81734 ]
SDV336180Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1913. The Hundred of Stanborough or Dippeforda in the Time of 'Testa de Nevil' AD 1243. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 45. A5 Hardback. 175,176,204.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV16126Related to: Hood Medieval Manor (Monument)
MDV29661Related to: Leat supplying Marley Farm, Rattery (Monument)
MDV28873Related to: Marley House, Rattery (Building)
MDV108460Related to: Terrace of houses north-west of Marley House, Rattery (Building)
MDV111157Related to: Weir 150 metres below Harbourneford Bridge (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 7 2015 12:34PM