HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV16166
Name:Braeside Rose Cottage and Alms Cottage, Halwell

Summary

Cottage dating to the late 16th or early 17th century which was probably originally the church house. The church house is referred to in a deed of 1474.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 777 531
Map Sheet:SX75SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHalwell and Moreleigh
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHALWELL

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX75SE/25

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH HOUSE (Built, XV to XVII - 1401 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

PEARSON, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV11952.

Halwell church house, not precisely located. According to the records of the charity commissioners of 1818, it was then used as the parish clerk's house. There is a deed of 1474 relating to this house. Once a chapelry in the parish of harberton (pearson).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV152841.

Pearson, j. B. /tda/32(1900)207,210/church houses in devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV152842.

Waterhouse, r. E. /the church houses of south devon - an archaeological survey/(-/5/1991)88/copy in smr.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Cottage shown but not named.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1213943 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Braeside Rose Cottage and Alms Cottage. (Formerly listed at Rose Cottage) Probably the church house originally, later used as almshouses, sexton's house and possibly once the priest's house; now a cottage on the first floor over a store. Circa late C16 or early Cl7 with later alterations. Colourwashed stone rubble. Welsh slate roof with gabled ends, the left hand (north) end has hipped lean-to extension. Rendered shafts to gable end and axial stacks with pots each made from 4 vertically set slates. Plan: Rectangular plan of 2 ground floor rooms; smaller unheated room to the left and large room to the right with a large right hand gable end fireplace with ovens. Between the 2 rooms a thick masonry wall rises into the roof with a later stack built against its right hand side providing another fireplace for the larger room. There is a doorway in the partition wall between the 2 rooms. There is an external doorway in the right hand gable end beside the stack into the large right hand room. This may have been the original entrance. There are also 2 blocked doorways on the front; the right hand doorway is the alternative original entrance but the left hand doorway into the smaller room is probably a later insertion. Only the left end of the first floor was inspected but it seems that the plan may have been the same as the ground floor plan but with entry into the small left hand room via a first floor doorway in the left gable end where the ground level is higher. The ground level at the rear is also at first floor level and may have originally provided external access to the large right hand room. The front of the building faces the churchyard which is at ground floor level. The first floor has been divided to provide dwelling accommodation and there are C19 and C20 lean-tos on the left end wall. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3/4 window west front facing the churchyard. 3 C20 casements on the first floor disposed towards the left; there is a blocked window to the right. 4 irregularly spaced windows on the ground floor, the left hand of which has a chamfered timber lintel. The rear (east) wall has irregular masonry above the high ground level, without windows, but there may be blocked openings. The south end has a slate hung gable, 2 C20 first floor casements and ground floor cantilevers. The north end has a circa C19 lean-to and a C20 porch in the angle. Interior: Ground floor large right hand room has a large gable end fireplace with a timber lintel, its chamfer or moulding worn off, and 2 bread ovens, one of which at least is of stone. At the opposite end of the large room a later fireplace, now blocked, has a heavily cambered chamfered lintel. the larger right hand room has some chamfered waney cross-beams, but most replaced. The smaller unheated left hand room has one chamfered cross beam with step stops. The left end room of the first floor is unpartitioned, but the right hand end has later partitions inserted on the first floor. Roof: The roof space is inaccessible but the feet of the principal rafters are straight and therefore the roof structure may have been replaced.
Date first listed: 26th April 1993

Sources / Further Reading

SDV11952Migrated Record: PEARSON.
SDV152841Migrated Record:
SDV152842Migrated Record:
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #112001 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1213943.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 20 2018 3:32PM