HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1624
Name:Great Bidlake farm Bridestowe

Summary

Farmstead dates to at least the 13th century, based on documentary sources. It was purchased by Ralph de Combe in 1268; the Combes took the name Bidlake after this time. Depicted on the historic maps, there have been some modern additions to the south-western end of the farm but the layout and most of the buildings depicted on the early-mid 19th century historic map have been retained.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 494 886
Map Sheet:SX48NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBridestowe
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRIDESTOWE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX48NE/17

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (First mentioned, XII to XIII - 1200 AD to 1299 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Great Bidlake is depicted on the Tithe Map; 364 on the apportionment. Owned by the Reverend John Wollocombe and occupied by Thomas mason at this time. The house is shown centrally with five buildings of varying sizes (including the woodshed; MDV33883 and barn; MDV33881) surrounding it. A further narrow rectangular structure is shown isolated to the south-west of the main farm.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Great Bidlake is depicted on the late 19th century historic map and is largely unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction, although the buildings to the north and west of the house are no longer present and additions have been made to the farm; two rectangular buildings directly south-east of the house, between it and the threshing barn, a north-south aligned building bordering the eastern boundary of the farm and another small structure to the west of the farm, near the isolated building.


Wollocombe, J. H. B., 1904-1905, The Bidlakes of Bidlake, 241-248 (Article in Serial). SDV264346.

Great Bidlake. Purchased in 1268 by Ralph of Combe with lands attached. Alterations and additions in the 16th century. General history of the Bidlakes and their various acquisitions.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 177 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Bidlake is Bydelak(e) in the assizes of 1238, 1270 and 1296. It appears in various documents throughout the Middle Ages and spelt in different ways. The meaning of the name although obscure is probably derived in some way from the stream that runs nearby.


Hoskins, W. G., 1942 - 1946, Devonshire Gentry in Carolean Times, 323 (Article in Serial). SDV44634.

After the purchase of Bidlake the Combes took the family name of Bidlake. In about 1649 the Committee of Compounding fined Henry Bidlake 300 pounds, allowing him to retain his numerous properties in Bridestowe and surrounding parishes, see crfs.


Young, W. T., 1959, Notes on the branches., 212 (Article in Serial). SDV123103.


Griffith, F. M., 1985, DAP/EF, 12 (Aerial Photograph). SDV346230.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

The modern map shows the historic centre of Bidlake has been retained (most of the buildings and structures listed), while huge modern farm buildings have been added at the western end of the farm, overlying the site of the isolated building shown on the Tithe map.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV123103Article in Serial: Young, W. T.. 1959. Notes on the branches.. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 91. 212.
SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 177.
SDV264346Article in Serial: Wollocombe, J. H. B.. 1904-1905. The Bidlakes of Bidlake. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 3. Unknown. 241-248.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346230Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1985. DAP/EF. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 12.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #112607 ]
SDV44634Article in Serial: Hoskins, W. G.. 1942 - 1946. Devonshire Gentry in Carolean Times. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 22. Unknown. 323.

Associated Monuments

MDV33881Parent of: Barn at Great Bidlake, Bridestowe (Building)
MDV33884Parent of: Gate piers and wall south-west of Great Bidlake (Monument)
MDV33886Parent of: Manor house at Great Bidlake, Bridestowe (Building)
MDV33885Parent of: Range of outbuildings east of Great Bidlake, Bridestowe (Building)
MDV33882Parent of: Stable, Great Bidlake, Bridestow (Building)
MDV33883Parent of: Woodhouse and adjoining wall, Great Bidlake (Building)
MDV33880Part of: Gate piers and wall 45 metres south-west of Great Bidlake (Monument)
MDV15955Related to: Fernworthy Medieval Farmstead (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 26 2018 11:49AM