HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV16485
Name:Nymet Tracy


Nymet Tracy was a medieval settlement mentioned from 13C- 17C. Later the population moved north to the main road at Bow


Grid Reference:SS 728 007
Map Sheet:SS70SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBow
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBOW

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS70SW/35

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880s, Ordnance Survey (Cartographic). SDV848.

Nymet Tracy is shown on OS 25" (1880s) map as a group of buildings including 'Nymet Barton', 'St Bartholomew's Church', the 'Rectory' & several small farmsteads to the south.

Carbonell, B. M. H., 1931, The Nymet area, 299 (Article in Serial). SDV44635.

Nymet Barton is a medieval settlement in the parish of Nymet Tracey, now Bow.

Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 360 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Nymet Tracy was associated with 'Oliver de Trascy' in 1212. In 1270 it was known as 'Nemethe Tracy' & 'Nimid Tracy' in 1326. The original site of the settlement was by the church at Nymet Tracy but later the population shifted to Bow on the main road from Exeter to Launceston.

Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M., 2002, Untitled Source, 2-10 (Pamphlet). SDV321149.

The name 'Nymet' is derived from the Celtic word 'Nemed' meaning sanctuary or holy place & occurs in other place names of Mid Devon. The personal name of Tracy was added in Norman times & in 1259 the Manor of Nymeton belonged to Henry de Tracy. The history of the Manor & Parish of Nymet Tracy is unclear although Hermaneston (Hampson) formed part of it & the Parish later became Bow. Nymet Tracy is mentioned in documents from13C - 17C as 'Nymmettracye', 'Nimet Traci' & 'Nimmey Trasey'.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 360.
SDV321149Pamphlet: Carbonell, B. M. H. + Wauton, M.. 2002. Thirteen Centuries in Bow alias Nymet Tracey with Broadnymet. Leaflet. 2-10.
SDV44635Article in Serial: Carbonell, B. M. H.. 1931. The Nymet area. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 63. A5 Hardback. 299.
SDV848Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey. 25".

Associated Monuments

MDV18281Related to: Bow Bridge (Monument)
MDV2132Related to: CHAPEL in the Parish of Bow (Monument)
MDV38258Related to: GATE in the Parish of Bow (Building)
MDV38260Related to: Nymet Barton farmhouse (Building)
MDV38259Related to: Nymet Barton farmstead (Building)
MDV2135Related to: Nymet Tracey, St Bartholomew's Church (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:May 9 2005 3:17PM