HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1665
Name:Toll house, North Brentor

Summary

Toll-house dates to at least the early 19th century, although may be older. Depicted on the Tithe Map, by the late 19th century it was the Herring's Arms public house and had become the Brentor Inn by the mid-20th century. Not currently functioning as an inn.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 472 809
Map Sheet:SX48SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBrentor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLAMERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX48SE/9

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TOLL HOUSE (XVIII - 1751 AD to 1799 AD (Between))
  • PUBLIC HOUSE (XIX - 1849 AD to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

The Tithe Map records the Toll House at the crossroads. 24 on the apportionment.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The building is depicted on the late 19th century as the 'Herring's Arms public house'.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map.


Sheldon, L., 1933, Devon Toll-Houses., 306 (Article in Serial). SDV341560.

Toll-house. North Brentor village. Altered.


Ordnance Survey, 1953-1969, 1953-1969 National Grid OS A edition imperial (Cartographic). SDV352727.

The 'Brentor Inn (PH)' is depicted on the 1950s-1960s historic map.


2014-2016, Brentor Village website (Website). SDV357056.

The turnpike road from Tavistock to Lydford was opened in 1762, with a Toll House at ‘Riccard’s House’ (Brentor Inn). There were four gates where the pack horse track from Mary Tavy to Coryton crossed the turnpike road. The Tavistock Turnpike Trust was wound up in 1867, following the completion of the railway line from Tavistock to Launceston along the Burn Valley. (From information given in ‘Tavistock’s Yesterdays’ vol 3, pages 17-36 by G. Woodcock)


Google, 2016, Google Streetview (Website). SDV359355.

Image from 2011 shows the Brentor Inn has been closed down for some time and appears to be in a dilapidated state.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Brentor Inn (Public House)' is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV341560Article in Serial: Sheldon, L.. 1933. Devon Toll-Houses.. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 65. A5 Hardback. 306.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352727Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1953-1969. 1953-1969 National Grid OS A edition imperial. Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV357056Website: 2014-2016. Brentor Village website. http://www.brentorvillage.org/?page_id=125. Website.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #81837 ]
SDV359355Website: Google. 2016. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 19 2018 9:24AM