HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1675
Name:North Brentor Methodist Church

Summary

Bible Christian Chapel opened in 1840. May have replaced an earlier chapel; this building is now in use as a garage/store. There is a Sunday School building thought to date to around 1860 adjoining the chapel on the north-east. Chapel is partly slate-hung and is an important survival from a very small regional group of Methodists. Proposal in 2010 to convert the school to residential use.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 480 813
Map Sheet:SX48SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBrentor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLAMERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX48SE/19
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92293

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XIX - 1840 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Thorne, R., 1975, The Last Bible Christians. Their Church in Devon in 1907, 62 (Article in Serial). SDV15286.

Thought to have opened in 1847.


Brown, S., 2010, Brentor Methodist Chapel, North Brentor. Archaeological Appraisal and Statement of Significance., 1-26 (Report - Assessment). SDV347997.

Brentor Bible Christian Church. The building to the west of the site is a possible early chapel depicted on the Tithe Map of 1840. This building is currently in use as a cartshed or garage. The main chapel was opened in 1840, according to the national Ecclesiastical Census (1851). The original layout may be similar to the surviving arrangement, which dates to around 20 years later. The Sunday School appears to have been added around 1860. The historic mapping evidence for this building appears to potentially be incorrect.
The chapel is important as the Bible Christian Methodist movement (begun in 1815) was a very small regional Methodist-type movement, based in rural areas of the West Country. In 1907 they united with two other groups to form the United Methodist Church and in 1932 this group joined with two other groups to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
Construction-wise, the chapel is built from poor stone and is partly slate-hung to provide weather protection, with adjoining less important school building.
The current proposals involve adapting the Sunday School building and part of the chapel for residential use.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

'Methodist Church' depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

North Brentor Methodist chapel. Built in 1841, extended in the early 20th century. Rendered stone, partly slate hung, slate roof with deep eaves gabled at ends. 1841 build rectangular in plan, with entrance at ritual west end with gabled porch with deep eaves. Two-leaf door with segmental head and glazed top panels. Two round-headed windows with marginal glazing to sides. Small ventilation fleche on ridge (description 1985). Other details: LB UID: 92293.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15286Article in Serial: Thorne, R.. 1975. The Last Bible Christians. Their Church in Devon in 1907. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 107. A5 Paperback. 62.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #81875 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV347997Report - Assessment: Brown, S.. 2010. Brentor Methodist Chapel, North Brentor. Archaeological Appraisal and Statement of Significance.. Stewart Brown Associates Report. A4 Comb Bound. 1-26.

Associated Monuments

MDV107027Related to: Gill House, Brentor (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5441 - Assessment of the Methodist Chapel, North Brentor

Date Last Edited:May 3 2016 12:12PM