HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV16802
Name:South Wheal Luscombe Mine, Gulworthy

Summary

Spelt South Liscombe on early 19th century lists, this mine worked an east-west lode known variously as Morwell Hatch Lode, Iron Lode and latterly Chimney Rock Lode. The eastern half of the lode worked successfully from the 16th century or earlier for tin (probably that recorded as 'Impell Croan' or 'Impham Crown'), it was re-worked in the early 18th century for copper under the name Morwell Hatch. May have also been known as North Impham.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 446 715
Map Sheet:SX47SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK HAMLETS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SW/521

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TIN MINE (Constructed, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1599 AD (Between))
  • COPPER MINE (Constructed, XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1142.

Worksheet contains details of above, copy of 1906 map showing position of adit levels and shafts (worksheet).


Finberg, H. P. R., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1533.

Wheal impham copper mine. Opened in 1799, it was closed by 1822 (finberg).


BUCK, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219466.

Vis=19/3/1998 (buck) wheal impham referred to in 1724 as a copper mine out of which 100 tons of ore had been produced. Operated between 1799-1820 but closed by 1884. Remnants of mine preserved as dumps, lode back-pits and some shafts. A shaft (and stone collar) with possible horse whim platform/processing area is sited near a footpath. Due to nature of site, (steep and deeply wooded valleys) it was difficult to find much evidence (buck).


BOOKER, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV256537.

Gaping adit entrance can be seen close to the river (booker).


Dines, H. G., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265453.

(above ngr is approx centre of workings). Also called north impham. Little known of its history. One major lode worked through two adits and ?two shafts. One of the shafts close to impham cottage is suggested by a dump. Openworks existed to the east of the cottage (dines).


SX47SW/521, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265455.

Author cites earlier references suggesting the mine was working in the early 18th century. Dates given above by finberg probably taken from bedford estate office accounts. Lodes associated with this mine later worked by bedford united mine (sx47sw/521) (jenkin).


OS 1884, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265456.

Os map of 1884 does not name the mine implying that it had been closed for some time then. Position of 2 probable shafts shown, no other obvious evidence (os 1884).


OS 1906, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265457.

No mention of 25" map 1906. Quarrying around chimney rock area. Westerly shaft marked as old shaft, the other is indicated by a mound (os 1906).


OS 1953 + 1967, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265458.

Modern 25" maps have same details (os 1953 + 1967).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265462.

Finberg, h. P. R. /tda/77(1945)169/morwell.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265463.

Dines, h. G. /the metalliferous mining region of sw england vol 2/(1956)674.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265464.

Booker, f. /industrial archaeology of the tamar valley/(1971)139.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265465.

Jenkin, a. K. H. /mines of devon vol 1/(1974)32-33.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265466.

Des=os 6" map/(1884)copy in parish file.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265467.

Des=os 25" map/(1906)copy on worksheet.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265468.

Des=os 25" map/(1953 + 1967).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265469.

Des=worksheet/weddell, p.(21/2/1984)in parish file.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265470.

Des=os 6"(1907)105sw.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265471.

Des=buck, c. /preliminary assessment of sites of archaeological importance in the tamar valley/(1998)43/copy in smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265472.

Des=buck, c. /preliminary assessment of industrial sites of archaeological importance in the tamar valley/(dec 1998)48/in smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV265473.

Des=buck, c.(cornwall archaeological unit)/bedford united mine: archaeological assessment/(2003)11, figs 7,8,24/report no 2003ro43 in smr.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 207-9, Figs 6.64-65 (Monograph). SDV361789.

South Wheal Luscombe
Spelt South Liscombe on early 19th century lists, this mine worked an east-west lode known variously as Morwell Hatch Lode, Iron Lode and latterly Chimney Rock Lode, which extended east of the Tamar for 1.5 kilometres as far as the crest of Morwelldown just north of the Rock crossroads.
Eastern half of the lode worked successfully from the 16th century or earlier for tin (probably that recorded as 'Impell Croan' or 'Impham Crown'), it was re-worked in the early 18th century for copper under the name Morwell Hatch. Large lodeback pits and short lengths of well preserved openwork follow the lode at surface in a narrow belt of woodland for 750 metres east of the Devon Great Consols Railway (fig 6.64). Evidence for 19th century working lies mostly to the west of the railway through Impham Ball Wood down to the Tamar, where an adit is visible near the river bank.
Remains of the Canal Company's working of this sett include the deep adit just above river level and three shafts on the course of the lode (see MDV70466, 70469, and 70471) and wheel pit (MDV70484) near the Hatchwell Leat in Impham Ball Wood.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1142Migrated Record:
SDV1533Migrated Record: Finberg, H. P. R..
SDV219466Migrated Record: BUCK.
SDV256537Migrated Record: BOOKER.
SDV265453Migrated Record: Dines, H. G..
SDV265455Migrated Record: SX47SW/521.
SDV265456Migrated Record: OS 1884.
SDV265457Migrated Record: OS 1906.
SDV265458Migrated Record: OS 1953 + 1967.
SDV265462Migrated Record:
SDV265463Migrated Record:
SDV265464Migrated Record:
SDV265465Migrated Record:
SDV265466Migrated Record:
SDV265467Migrated Record:
SDV265468Migrated Record:
SDV265469Migrated Record:
SDV265470Migrated Record:
SDV265471Migrated Record:
SDV265472Migrated Record:
SDV265473Migrated Record:
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 207-9, Figs 6.64-65. [Mapped feature: #7662 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV70463Parent of: Adit near Impham Cottage, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV3862Related to: Devon Great Consolidated Mine, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV70462Related to: Impham Cottage, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV70471Related to: Mine Shaft circa 268 metres east-south-east of Chimney Rock, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV70484Related to: Pit of South Wheal Luscombe Engine Wheel, Impham Ball Wood (Monument)
MDV70466Related to: SHAFT in the Parish of Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV70469Related to: SHAFT in the Parish of Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)
MDV79980Related to: Tinworking in Morwelldown Plantation, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV123502Related to: Wheal Impham Mine, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV22886Related to: Wheal Russell Mine, Gulworthy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 22 2018 2:39PM