HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1689
Name:Stone Cross at St Peter and St James's Parish Church , Halwill

Summary

Medieval inscribed stone cross in the churchyard of St Peter and St James's parish church in Halwill

Location

Grid Reference:SX 427 994
Map Sheet:SX49NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHalwill
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishHALWILL

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 438230
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX49NW/10/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 90777
  • Old SAM Ref: 27336
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX49NW7

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Stone Cross (Remains of)' shown on 19th century map to the south of the church.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 319 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.

In the churchyard. Type B. A square pedestal of two steps supports a square socket stone, the top corners of which are cut out. A very small fragment of the shaft remains in the socket hole. Square in section, but the missing portion would have been octagonal. The sides of the socket stone are ornamented by what appears to be a carved shield shape. On the west face a latin cross on two steps is cut in relief between two vertical ribs, while the east face bears a large St Andrew's cross in relief within an oval panel. The south face also bears a St Andrew's cross formed by four V-shaped ribs with their points almost meeting at the centre of a shield shaped panel. The north face also bears markings presumably intentional, too weathered to be recognisable. Other details: Plate 26, Figure 12.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1939, Supplementary Notes on the Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon, First Paper, 233 (Article in Serial). SDV19576.


Kelly, A., 1939, Untitled Source, 341 (Monograph). SDV19578.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1951, SX49NW7 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV19579.

Stone Cross (Remains of). Situated in the churchyard south of the church. Ancient pedestal supporting the socket-stone which still holds a fragment of the shaft. The sides of the socket-stone are ornamented with carved devices very much weathered. Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon, pt 1 319 Fig 12 Plate XXXVI (Masson Phillips, E.)

E M Phillip's description is correct. The base of the pedestal is 1.9 metres square. The socket stone, 0.7 metres square and 0.5 metres high, holds fragment of the shaft which is 0.25 metres square and 0.2 metres in height. The pedestal base, pedestal, socket-stone and shaft fragment are all made from moorland granite. These remains are fairly well preserved. The sides of the socket stone are ornamented as follows: On the north side is a much weathered device which may be a stylised fish; on the east side there is a St Andrew's Cross; on the south side the stone is extremely weathered but appears to have been decorated with a shield bearing a coat of arms; on the west side there is a Latin cross. Site visit, 23/04/1951.

Cross (Remains of). OS 25" 1905.

No change. Published survey 1:25000 correct. 29/05/1974.

Other details: Photograph (taken from south side), Map.


Department of Environment, 1986, Ashwater, 54 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV19536.

Base of cross. Medieval. Granite. A square base with a mortise for a cross shaft, the base on two granite steps. The corners of the base are chamfered at the top, the sides carved with various motifs in shallow relief: a cross, a St Andrew's cross, blind tracery in a roundel, a beast.


Gerrard, H., 1994, MPP/139536, MPP/139536 (Un-published). SDV19581.

Standing cross in the churchyard, 5 metres north of the lychgate, and to the south of the church. Cross survives as a square pedestal of two steps, a square ornamented socket stone and a fragment of shaft. It is of Medieval date.


Gerrard, H., 1994, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV319481.

Other details: Photos.


Department of Environment, 1996, Churchyard Cross 5 metres north of Halwill Church Lychgate (Schedule Document). SDV345637.

This monument includes a churchyard cross 5 metres north of Halwill church lychgate. The cross survives as a square pedestal of two steps, a square ornamented socket stone and a fragment of shaft. The lower step is 1.78 metres square, 0.2 metres high and is built into the slope of the churchyard. The upper step is 1.16 metres square and 0.33 metres high. Above is a socket stone which is 0.7 metres square at the base and 0.5 metres high. The upper corners of the socket stone have been cut out and on all four faces there are designs in relief, although some are weathered, and have been subject to several interpretations. On the west face is a Latin cross, on two steps. The east face bears a large St Andrew's cross. The south face has what has been variously described as a St Andrew's cross or blind tracery in a roundel. The north face is very weathered and may represent some kind of beast or perhaps a plough. Set into the socket stone is a small fragment of shaft which is square in section and measures 0.22 metres square and 0.2 metres high. The cross survives comparatively well and includes a very fine and unusual decorated socket stone. Other details: Monument 27336.


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 193, (Vol 2), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Halwill Churchyard SX427994
Standing in the churchyard, south of the church is a square pedestal of two steps supporting a square socket stone, the top corners of which are cut out. A small fragment of the shaft remains in the socket hole. The shaft is square in section, but the missing portion would have been octagonal. The sides of the socket stone are ornamented with carved devices. On the western face a Latin cross on two steps is cut in relief between two vertical ribs. The eastern face bears a large St Andrew's cross in relief within an oval panel. The south face also bears a St Andrew's cross formed by four V-shaped ribs with their points almost meeting at the centre of a shield shaped panel. The northern face also bears markings presumably intentional, too weathered to be recognisable.
Shaft height 0.20 metres, base 0.20 by 0.20 metres.
Socket stone 0.71 by 0.71 metres by 0.48 metres high.
Pedestal top 1.19 metres by 1.17 metres by 0.30 metres high. Bottom 1.83 by 1.83 metres by 0.25 metres high.


National Monuments Record, 2010, 438230 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV345638.

A churchyard cross 5 metres north of Halwill church lychgate. The cross survives as a square pedestal of two steps, a square ornamented socket stone and a fragment of shaft. The lower step is built into the slope of the churchyard. Set into the the socket stone is a small fragment of shaft which is square in section. The upper corners of the socket stone have been cut out and on all four faces there are designs in relief, although some are weathered, and have been subject to several interpretations. On the west face is a Latin cross, on two steps. The east face bears a large St Andrew's cross. The south face has what has been variously described as a St Andrew's cross or blind tracery in a roundel. The north face is very weathered and may represent some kind of beast or perhaps a plough.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Base of Medieval granite cross about 22 metres south east of the porch of the Church of St Peter and St James in Halwill was Listed on 21st January 1986. Other details: LBS Number 90777.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

'Cross (remains of)' shown on modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website. [Mapped feature: #7719 ]
SDV19536List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Ashwater. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 54.
SDV19576Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1939. Supplementary Notes on the Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon, First Paper. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 71. A5 Hardback. 233.
SDV19578Monograph: Kelly, A.. 1939. Directory of Devon. Unknown. 341.
SDV19579Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1951. SX49NW7. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV19581Un-published: Gerrard, H.. 1994. MPP/139536. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Unknown. MPP/139536.
SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 319.
SDV319481Photograph: Gerrard, H.. 1994. Photograph (Paper).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV345637Schedule Document: Department of Environment. 1996. Churchyard Cross 5 metres north of Halwill Church Lychgate. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV345638National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 438230. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 193, (Vol 2), sketch.

Associated Monuments

MDV1688Related to: Halwill, St Peter & St James (Building)
MDV121632Related to: Probable socket stone in Halwill Churchyard (Monument)
MDV1690Related to: Wayside Cross south of Halwill Parish Church (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 4 2018 10:48AM