HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV16966
Name:Manor of Crediton

Summary

The manor of Crediton was called Chritetona in the 11th century, and was originally held by the Bishop of Devonshire who had a palace there until 1080.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 83 00
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80SW/65

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR (VIII to Post Medieval - 701 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Reichel, O. J., 1922, The Manor and Hundred of Crediton, 146-175 (Article in Serial). SDV40070.

At Crediton the site of the Manor of Chritetona, as it was called in the Domesday survey, had been held originally by the Bishops of Crediton and remained in episcopal hands after the removal of the See to Exeter and until the 16th century. Details of the Manor's many estates and properties are given.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 378 (Monograph). SDV17562.


Walker, H. H., 1961, Notes for a Study of Bishop Walter de Stapledon and the Church in the West Country in the Early 14th Century, 312-313 (Article in Serial). SDV18677.

One of the twelve manors held by the Bishop of Exeter in Devon in the 14th century.


Timms, S. C., 1980, Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton (Report - non-specific). SDV354697.


Gallant, L., 1986, Deer Parks and Paddocks of England (Un-published). SDV656.

According to Lysons the manor, hundred and park at Crediton belonged to the Bishop of Devonshire, who had a palace there until 1080. They were conveyed by Bishop Babington in 1595 to William Killigrew.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 378.
SDV18677Article in Serial: Walker, H. H.. 1961. Notes for a Study of Bishop Walter de Stapledon and the Church in the West Country in the Early 14th Century. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 93. A5 Hardback. 312-313.
SDV354697Report - non-specific: Timms, S. C.. 1980. Proposed Conservation Area at Crediton. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV40070Article in Serial: Reichel, O. J.. 1922. The Manor and Hundred of Crediton. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 54. A5 Hardback. 146-175.
SDV656Un-published: Gallant, L.. 1986. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Deer Parks and Paddocks of England. Manuscript.

Associated Monuments

MDV108829Part of: Crediton (Monument)
MDV12612Related to: Bishop's Palace in Crediton (Building)
MDV16201Related to: East Town, Crediton (Monument)
MDV13971Related to: Lord's Meadow to the east of Crediton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 8 2015 4:06PM