HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV17019
Name:Linhay on Braunton Marsh, 630 metres west-south-west of the Great Sluice

Summary

Open-fronted cattle shelter with adjoining stone-walled yard or pound, situated on a field boundary, and divided at the centre to serve the two fields. One of a number of linhays built following reclamation of the marsh in the 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 471 340
Map Sheet:SS43SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBraunton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRAUNTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS43SE/43
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 98298

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (Built, XIX - 1801 AD to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Linhay depicted astride a field boundary with yard attached.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Linhay depicted, astride a field boundary which effectively cuts the adjoining yard or pound in two.


Turpin, J. W., 1982, Braunton Great Field and Marshes, 8 (Report - non-specific). SDV341027.

Erected following reclamation of the marshes, linhays provided shelter for stock, and contribute to the character of the area.


Timms, S. C., 1982, Braunton Marsh Linhays (Personal Comment). SDV341134.

One of a number of agricultural buildings erected in fields on Braunton Marsh, which was reclaimed in 1811-15. Shown on Braunton parish tithe map circa 1840.


Dennis, A. J., 1983, Braunton Marshes Linhay Survey (Archive - Survey). SDV341136.

Linhay 17. 2.1 metres high by 4.9 metres wide by 7.2 metres long. In quite good conditon. The notes state that the building is open-fronted with no pound attached but the annotated survey drawing clearly shows a stone-walled pound divided in two, as is the building to serve two fields. No photo.


Department of Environment, 1985, Braunton, 23 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV73918.

Cattle shelter and adjoining fold yard walls, circa 1815-20. Shale rubble repaired at rear with concrete blocks, possibly replacing cob upper section of wall. Slate roof with half hipped ends. Open east front with circular stone rubble piers supporting roof, one replacement concrete block pier. Situated on field boundary the shelter is divided at the centre to serve the 2 fields. The stone rubble walls of the fold yard at the front is breached. The yard has a dividing wall at the centre which continues as the field boundary wall to the east. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and possibly fodder store for cattle on the marsh.


North Devon District Council, 2003, North Devon Buildings at Risk Survey 2000-2003, 15 (Report - Survey). SDV344372.

Damage to adjoining yard wall to both sides. Holes in slate roof covering. Other details: Photograph.


Manning, C., 2007, Braunton Marsh Management Study 2007, 8, 23 (Report - non-specific). SDV341104.

The Marsh linhays are intrinsically associated with the traditional cattle farming of the area, and their construction is believed to have started almost immediately after the initial enclosure was completed. Almost all linhays appear to have been built by the time of the 1842 tithe map of Braunton Parish. Linhays are 2 storey, open-sided cattle shelters, with a talet which was used to store feed. This study has produced a photographic inventory of the current condition of the Marsh linhays, together with any known sites of linhays which have now been lost forever.


Wessex Archaeology, 2007, RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment, 10 (WA29) (Report - Assessment). SDV342125.


Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J., 2007, The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report, No. 784 (Report - Assessment). SDV339712.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Cattle shelter and adjoining wall 60 [sic] metres west-south-west of the Great Sluice. Cattle shelter and adjoining fold yard walls. Circa 1815-20. Shale rubble repaired at rear with concrete blocks possibly replacing cob upper section of wall. Slate roof with half hipped ends. Open east front with circular stone rubble piers supporting roof, one replacement concrete block pier. Situated on field boundary the shelter is divided at centre to serve the 2 fields. Fold yard to front with stone rubble walls breached at front. Yard has dividing wall at centre which continues as field boundary wall to east. This cattle shelter (locally known as linhays) is one of many on Braunton Marsh and served as a shelter and probably a fodder store for cattle on the marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was reularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857. Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.


Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015.
Cattle Shelter and adjoining wall 630 metres west south-west of The Great Sluice. Formerly listed as Cattle Shelter and adjoining wall 60 metres west south-west of The Great Sluice.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339712Report - Assessment: Collings, A. G. + Manning, P. T. + Valentin, J.. 2007. The North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Phase 1. Archaeological Survey. Summary Report. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.22 (rev.1). A4 Stapled + Digital. No. 784.
SDV341027Report - non-specific: Turpin, J. W.. 1982. Braunton Great Field and Marshes. Devon County Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 8.
SDV341104Report - non-specific: Manning, C.. 2007. Braunton Marsh Management Study 2007. Taw Torridge Estuary Forum Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 8, 23.
SDV341134Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1982. Braunton Marsh Linhays. Unknown.
SDV341136Archive - Survey: Dennis, A. J.. 1983. Braunton Marshes Linhay Survey. Braunton Marsh Linhay Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material.
SDV342125Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2007. RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 67300.01. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10 (WA29).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #81974 ]
SDV344372Report - Survey: North Devon District Council. 2003. North Devon Buildings at Risk Survey 2000-2003. North Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 15.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV73918List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Braunton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 23.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4490 - RMB Chivenor Flood Defence Scheme Barnstaple, Devon: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment
  • EDV4599 - North Devon Buildings at Risk Survey 2000-2003
  • EDV6573 - Braunton Marshes Linhay Survey

Date Last Edited:Jan 15 2016 3:07PM