HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV17176
Name:Conduit on East Street, Ashburton

Summary

Conduit-head attached to front of 67A East Street. Conduit-head, formerly carrying part of the town water supply. Early 18th century. Limestone ashlar. Small oblong structure with chamfered corners. High moulded base, moulded top cornice, ogee stone roof with finial. Restored in 1974 by the Devon Historic Buildings Trust.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 758 700
Map Sheet:SX77SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX77SE51
  • National Record of the Historic Environment: 1463486
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SE/49
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 376047

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CONDUIT HEAD (Constructed, XVIII - 1701 AD to 1733 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV287341.

Photographs in Devon County Council Conservation Section. Other details: Collection films 51,66,87,90..

Masson Phillips, E. N., 1940 - 1941, Conduits in Devon Towns and Villages, 117 (Article in Serial). SDV341237.

Conduit at corner of Roborough Lane no longer in use.

Satterly, J., 1952, Memories of Ashburton in late Victorian Days, 22 (Article in Serial). SDV315139.

Conduit in Aast Street, Ashburton, opposite the Golden Lion Hotel. Water supply comes from Roborough.

Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 38 (Monograph). SDV336217.

A handsome granite conduit of 17th or early 18th century style.

Timms, S., 1982, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV287340.

Conduit was restored by the Devon Historic Buildings Trust in 1975. It was fed by a reservoir up Roborough Lane.

Department of National Heritage, 1992, Ashburton, 61 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337041.

Ashburton - East Street (north side) Conduit-head attached to front of 67A - GV II*
Conduit-head, formerly carrying part of the town water supply. Early 18th century. Limestone ashlar. Small oblong structure with chamfered corners. High moulded base, moulded top cornice, ogee stone roof with finial.
In the front of the base is a small, blocked round-arched opening with two iron hinges. In its right-hand side is a semi-circular, round-arched recess with the end of a pipe projecting at the back. The upper section has a round-arched, shallow recess in the front and on each side; these seem to have been purely decorative. The front recess contains a plaque inscribed DHBT 1974, referring to its repair by the Devon Historic Buildings Trust. The conduit-head is fed from a reservoir in Roborough Lane.

Trueman, M., 2000, The Water and Sewage Industry Step 3 Assessment, Monument Protection Programme, Devon 5 (Report - non-specific). SDV288012.

Stone conduit head opposite Golden Lion. Pevsner states erected 1791 but early 18th century style. Apparently fed from reservoir in Roborough Lane.

Of architectural and archaeological value.

English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Conduit-head attached to front of 67A East Street (north side), Ashburton. Conduit-head, formerly carrying part of the town water supply. Early 18th century. Limestone ashlar. Small oblong structure with chamfered corners. High moulded base, moulded top cornice, ogee stone roof with finial.
In the front of the base is a small, blocked round-arched opening with two iron hinges. In its right-hand side is a semi-circular, round-arched recess with the end of a pipe projecting at the back. The upper section has a round-arched, shallow recess in the front and on each side; these seem to have been purely decorative. The front recess contains a plaque inscribed DHBT 1974, referring to its repair by the Devon Historic Buildings Trust. The conduit-head is fed from a reservoir in Roborough Lane (Listed 1951). Other details: LB UID: 376047.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV287340Personal Comment: Timms, S.. 1982. Unknown.
SDV287341Photograph: Unknown.
SDV288012Report - non-specific: Trueman, M.. 2000. The Water and Sewage Industry Step 3 Assessment, Monument Protection Programme. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Step 3 Report. WIM.I. A4 Comb Bound. Devon 5.
SDV315139Article in Serial: Satterly, J.. 1952. Memories of Ashburton in late Victorian Days. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. Unknown. 22.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 38.
SDV337041List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1992. Ashburton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 61.
SDV341237Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1940 - 1941. Conduits in Devon Towns and Villages. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 21. Unknown. 117.
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website. [Mapped feature: #82013 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV18727Related to: 65-67a East Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23302Related to: 69, 71 and 73 East Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV29220Related to: East Street, Ashburton (Monument)
MDV13600Related to: The Golden Lion, East Street Ashburton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 11 2021 12:54PM