HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV17232
Name:Chapel, Waldron's Almshouses

Summary

Chapel adjoining west end of Waldron's Almshouses, built 1579.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 950 126
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/28/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 485436

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XVI - 1579 AD to 1579 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1951 - 1955, SS91SE16 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV348955.

Similar to that at Greenway's almshouses.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 287 (Monograph). SDV336217.

A most surprising display of pure Perpendicular motifs at so late a date.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 58 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Chapel of Waldron's Almshouses. At west end of almshouses. Perpendicular windows and carved porch with devices and inscription on parapet.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 818 (Monograph). SDV325629.

Chapel similar to earlier Greenway almhouse chapel but less elaborate. Four-centred doorway with the Waldron Arms within the small porch and a wagon roof.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Chapel adjoining almshouses, restored 1990. Local purple volcanic rubble with Beerstone dressings. The chapel adjoining at the west end has a projecting porch to the west and a stone gabled west end bellcote. The porch has a moulded doorway with carved spandrels and a deep carved frieze with quatrefoils below a similarly decorated parapet. Two-light window to left of porch has elaborate carved label stops and slightly flamboyant tracery. The west end has a three-light window with elaborate carved label stops and flamboyant tracery - mullions replaced. Rear elevation of chapel has one small plain round-headed doorway to west and one two-light traceried window. Interior not inspected, but believed to have a wagon roof.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 818.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 287.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #82023 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348955Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1951 - 1955. SS91SE16. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 58.

Associated Monuments

MDV1378Related to: Waldron's Almshouses and Chapel, Wellbrook Street, Tiverton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 2 2012 4:26PM