HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV1745
Name:Fragment of a Saxon cross shaft at St. Peters Church, Revelstoke

Summary

Fragment of a Saxon cross shaft located in the window jamb in the basement of the tower.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 563 464
Map Sheet:SX54NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNewton and Noss
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishREVELSTOKE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX54NE/3/4

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Early Medieval - 1066 AD to 1399 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV149788.

Revelstoke church, ruined. A photograph of the south jamb of the east window of the basement of this church shows a block of freestone carved in a pre-conquest manner. Possible that this may be a fragment of a saxon cross shaft. The church is situated on the cliffs, and is called st. Peters church; once the parish church of revelstoke.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV149790.

Masson phillips, e. /tda/86(1954)185/supplementary notes on the ancient stone crosses of devon, (fourth paper).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV149792.

Grimes, c. H. D. /history of newton ferrers/( )9.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Vis=6/9/1986 (0s). The carved jamb, possibly part of a cross shaft, is well preserved (os).


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1955, SX54NE2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV149724.

The south jamb of the east window of the basement tower is a block of carved freestone which may possibly be a Saxon cross shaft. (TDA, 1954, 86, 185, Masson Phillips, E. N.)

St Peter’s Church, 13th century has a south aisle, chancel, north transept and northwest tower in which the south jamb of the east window of the basement is a block of carved freestone which may possibly be a Saxon cross-shaft. Both nave and tower are now roofless and the building more or less overgrown with ivy. It is probable that the church which was abandoned about 1870 was built as a landmark for shipping. (DOE Plympton St Mary Devon Aug 1956, 17; TDA 86, 1954, 185 Masson Phillips, E. N.; Ibid 87, 1955, 243, Russel, P.)

Cross. (History of Newton Ferrers, 9, Grimes, C. H. D.)


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 365, (Vol 3), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149724Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1955. SX54NE2. OSAD Card. Card Index + Digital.
SDV149788Migrated Record:
SDV149790Migrated Record:
SDV149792Migrated Record:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 365, (Vol 3), sketch.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 1 2018 3:28PM